• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA and the fringes - Feb. 2014 Part V

JamieOber

Looks like we are about in for round 2 here in Hanover Pa. Sitting @ 31 degrees with a light freezing drizzle with some ice needles mixed in at this moment. From the looks of radar we are in for some decent precip shortly. Wouldn't be surprised if we see a quick switch over to heavy snow after the whole column cools from an initial rain/sleet.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cosgrove robust for the next event:

ey Mid-Atlantic and New England regions: you are NOT done with the snow yet. In fact, you can look for two more doses of the white stuff before the sun returns on Sunday.

The "wrap around" or deformation zone snowfall will be heavy in spots from near Washington DC all the way into Maine this evening into tomorrow morning. I would not rule out 3 - 5" of new snow in spots following the dry slot now along and east of Interstate 95.

Look to your north and west on the satellite image. See the spiral of cloud cover? that is a strong 500MB shortwave and it is digging and intensifying. I suspect it gets as far south as the NC/SC border on Saturday, and taps both residual moisture and that of the Atlantic Ocean to set off some moderate to heavy snow bands from S OH/WV/KY/N TN later Friday into S NY/NJ/PA/DE/MD/DC/VA/NC by Saturday morning. If the 500MB vorticity and 700MB UVV are any guide, we see a 6 - 8 hour period of moderate to heavy snow before the system tracks into the Atlantic Ocean. That implies some difficult driving with snow squalls in the Mid-Atlantic region and probably southern New England as well.

But cheer up. It will start to turn warmer, and next week all of this will melt as rainfall chances arrive.

And maybe set off flooding all across the Midwest, Appalachia and the Eastern Seaboard.

And the power flashed here in east prospect. I was wondering if that might happen. Current wx- drizzle+

with the wind picking up I have seen a few branches come down... im sure there are some weakened trees/branches from last week that will not survive some of these gusts

now back down to 32 here just north of Enola

Here in Hanover the sky to the south has an darkened considerably and the drizzle/ice needles has already changed to an icy and heavily rimed snow. Will be interesting to see what we end up having fall when the heavier returns make it here in a few minutes.

Was just looking at radar wondering what's coming. You'll have to report. I feel like its Xmas eve and no idea what Santa is bringing.

Temperatures all around the lehigh valley are around 34/35 degrees. I hope these temps start dropping soon. The snow is melting off my roof. My parents in jersey just 30 miles east of me are at 29. I don't get that.

Warm air damming? We had that easterly fetch for a while w the primary. Just a theory.

Also on the east side of the deathband - there's some building as the low moves north. I don't think we're done yet. Murgo also said on WTAJ that there could be another 2-4".

wow!....if Murgo is going with another 2-4 thats something. He usually downplays every storm and when he came on he said things were winding down and said Altoona didnt get as much as down east....no kidding....I dont know why hes so down on snow....what a clown

Archived