• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
East Coast winter storm, February 13th-14th, imminent (Part II)

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From Alb discussion.  We usually watch the meso bands from a far.  Hope to witness one this time.  THU NIGHT...THEIR ARE SEVERAL SIGNALS IN THE GUIDANCE...ESPECIALLYFROM THE GFS/ECMWF OF AN INTENSE MESOSCALE SNOWBAND FORMING. THE CSTARRESEARCH DONE WITH THE UNIVERSITY AT ALBANY HAS SHOWN WITH THESEINTENSE BOMBS THAT MESOSCALE SNOWBANDS CAN FORM ON THE NW SIDE OFTHE H700/500 CLOSED CIRCULATION WITH INTENSE 2-D H850-700 FGEN.EVEN MORE IMPRESSIVE IS THAT A NW TO SE CROSS-SECTION THROUGH THECAPITAL REGION BTWN 00Z-06Z IS SHOWING TREMENDOUS UPWARD VERTICALMOTION COINCIDING WITH STEEPLY SLOPED FGEN...BENEATH AN AREA OFNEGATIVE EPV. THERE IS A POSSIBILITY OF A PIVOTING MESOSCALE SNOWBANDBASED ON THE LATEST CSTAR RESEARCH. THE DUAL JET STRUCTURE SETS UPAT NIGHT WITH A SECOND JET STREAK MOVING NEAR NEW ENGLAND...OURAREA WILL BE WEST OF THE UPPER JET AXIS/ LEFT FRONT QUAD/. PCPN EFFICIENCY LOOKS EXCELLENT WITH THE FAVORABLE DENDRITIC ZONEOF -10C TO -16C OVER THE AREA WITH THE POTENTIAL MESOSCALE SNOWBAND OR BANDS. SNOW RATES COULD REACH 3" OR SO AN HOUR...IF THISBAND FORMS. THE QUESTION WILL BE WHERE THE BAND SETS UP ACROSS THEREGION. THE CAPITAL REGION COULD GET INTO THIS BAND. RIGHTNOW...FROM THE CAPITAL REGION...SRN VT...AND THE ERNCATSKILLS...SOUTH AND EAST HAVE THE BEST CHC. A LOT COULDCHANGE...SINCE THIS IS 24-30 HRS OUT IN THE FCST. THE LOW DEEPENSTO ABOUT 980 HPA NEAR SE LONG ISLAND BY MIDNIGHT...AND AROUND 975HPA IN THE GULF OF MAINE BY 12Z/FRI. IT CLASSIFIES AS A SYNOPTICBOMB WITH THE 24 HPA FALL IN MSLP IN 24 HRS.

StormTotalSnowWebFcst.png

Weather erotica right there.  Maybe I can get into that pivot....

It would really be helpful if the NWS snow maps had a universal color key.  I''ve had to do a few double takes going from one office's map to another.

17.6/-2.  Hopefully we wont' have such a depression when the precip tries to move in.

So, you can be one of the hundreds of CT cars joining the hundreds of NY and NJ cars that trapse through Shelburne on Friday nights.  :)

Ha!  I've actually thought about whether the folks on that road have seen an uptick in traffic in the age of GPS.  That route used to be a relative secret.  I've made that (gorgeous) drive twice in the past three weeks, but I think I might stick to 91 to route 9 in Brattleboro this time given the expected road conditions. 

1-3 for BOS seems like a joke especially with the shift east on the 18z GFS with the CCB/TROWAL feature. Lows that mature near Cape Cod tend to plaster eastern southern New England, so I'm not sure why some are being so conservative. Temperatures are also running much colder than modeled in the South, so expect this one to come in on the cold side. 

I have to say, pretty much agreeing with everything CTBlizz is saying so far...I wouldn't be surprised if you guys get 18"+. Two part storm with a very heavy front end dump and the rapid development of CCB as the mid-level lows mature. 18z GFS has the 700mb low right over Montauk or just east, which argues for a very nice deformation band to sweet through the region. Still could use a tick east but not bad...

I don't know what to think. 0.5F means 3" or 7" here. I don't like how the models are consistently mild here with temps, but I honestly think they are a hair too warm. At least for my area and BOS.

Good point. It's really a nightmare forecast. Tough call. I could see like 3" inches here like you said or even like 6 or 7. Well see I guess

It would mean a lot for those in the ORH-HFD corridor to shift this 30 miles on the gfs. Big time.

Folks in the far northwest, ENY and VT would not approve.

Ha!  I've actually thought about whether the folks on that road have seen an uptick in traffic in the age of GPS.  That route used to be a relative secret.  I've made that (gorgeous) drive twice in the past three weeks, but I think I might stick to 91 to route 9 in Brattleboro this time given the expected road conditions. 

I avoid it at all costs on Sundays.  Smart move to 'stick to the roads, beware of the moores' Friday.

It would mean a lot for those in the ORH-HFD corridor to shift this 30 miles on the gfs. Big time.

You know I was just thinkin' ... how many times would one actually want some convective feedback to f around with a system?

Now could be one of those times if one wishes for a colder eastern solution.  Because an explosion over the g-string might give them the reach around tug east they are all lubed up for. 

1-3 for BOS seems like a joke especially with the shift east on the 18z GFS with the CCB/TROWAL feature. Lows that mature near Cape Cod tend to plaster eastern southern New England, so I'm not sure why some are being so conservative. Temperatures are also running much colder than modeled in the South, so expect this one to come in on the cold side.

I have to say, pretty much agreeing with everything CTBlizz is saying so far...I wouldn't be surprised if you guys get 18"+. Two part storm with a very heavy front end dump and the rapid development of CCB as the mid-level lows mature. 18z GFS has the 700mb low right over Montauk or just east, which argues for a very nice deformation band to sweet through the region. Still could use a tick east but not bad...

You want the mid level lows east of you to wipe out any mid level warmth which is there and quite so. This is why I'm tying to stress. You guys in central areas would be sweet wih one more. Urge east.

I think the only certainties thus far in this storm is that the front end will give a large chunk of the region at least 4-8"...with perhaps more in some spots.

There are going to be ptype issues for a time at least back to 495 in MA (and probably a bit further) and down through most of CT  anywhere along and SE of 84.

The biggest question marks are how intense the front end stuff gets and where the extreme rapidly intensifying mid-level centers are location during that period of most rapid intensification....if they are down east of LI near block island and cape cod, then much of SNE will get a huge finale. If they are more over central LI and up into SE CT and E MA, then it will be ALB up through VT that gets the best backlash.

You want the mid level lows east of you to wipe out any mid level warmth which is there and quite so. This is why I'm tying to stress. You guys in central areas would be sweet wih one more. Urge east.

I'd also like to see the 700mb low mature a little faster than what the 18z GFS shows...it remains a bit diffuse until around Montauk, which places the deformation band to the northeast of NYC as the system is slightly slower to mature and develop deep RH. I'd like to see the 700mb close off around the NJ Coast...850mb low looked pretty good though, and the H5 vort is elongated off of NJ, which is again close to ideal for here. 

Again, I'd love one more shift east but I still think 12"+ is a reality for NYC regardless of what happens with the deformation band. In my mind, the only big difference is between getting 10-14" from mostly the front-end dump and getting 18-24" from both parts of the storm being ideal for my location. 

To SnowNH, your post is gone, but like Will and Scott were saying if the ml lows (especially 700mb) are over or west of us like the Euro it'll be a relative meh-fest after the initial omega thump. If the 0z Euro caves then I'll buy it but otherwise I'm kinda on the fence.

Archived