• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
February 12-13 Storm, Part III: Trilogy ends and then Obs thread soon!

stormtracker

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool, but you might wanna take that up with the forecaster who said it.

I was just stating that vinyl and some others might not have been off and on the usual weenie excuse of convective feedback, give than someone in the know offered the same opinion.

I don't hate the GFS.

I explicitly stated that I fully expect the GFS to be wrong.  I would be making the same arguments if it was the NAM, ECMWF, or other model showing the same thing.

We do have regular meetings on model evaluation and are working hard to bring developers and forecasters closer together.  A lot of operational forecasting folks don't have intimate knowledge about NWP, data assimilation, etc. (nor should we necessarily expect them to).  I was just offering my perspective and opinion....take it for what it's worth, you're free to ignore me.

Agree, it's all induced by a fall in uvv and proximity of dry slot. If we're sitting under 20+ dbz with a NW wind it's still likely snow at 31-33 surface.

Thats why I am not to worried about these warm solutions... looks like the change over period is just drizzle...and then the back side potential looks to be real.... 

I explicitly stated that I fully expect the GFS to be wrong.  I would be making the same arguments if it was the NAM, ECMWF, or other model showing the same thing.

We do have regular meetings on model evaluation and are working hard to bring developers and forecasters closer together.  A lot of operational forecasting folks don't have intimate knowledge about NWP, data assimilation, etc. (nor should we necessarily expect them to).  I was just offering my perspective and opinion....take it for what it's worth, you're free to ignore me.

Not sure why you think I'd ignore you, but alright.  I happen to enjoy  your insight on the models, I just think you may have taken my comment as directed at you or something.   I don't know enough about NWP to ignore anybody. 

At a doctors appointment and hate to weenie like this but how does the back side look on the NAM?

Very impressed by the pbp so far.

decent...not great..none of the models look amazing, but I'd say you get 2" with the backside...it is a tough forecast for tomorrow....rain seem unlikely for DC and NW.....sleet is the better call for say late morning through mid afternoon...then back to snow.....soundings at 12z and 15z are way better than you might think....18z and 21z are sleet soundings...unless you really believe that we are getting rain with 850 temps of 0.5 or so.....or that you think they will even really warm above 0

NAM Is like 8" of snow for DC with probably 2" in the afternoon/evening.....~10".....ends at 8pm or so...nice 24 hour event

If we cash in at the beginning then the rest is gravy.  More is better but until the mixing issue is resolved(which will only happen during the storm) that initial thump is where its at.

decent...not great..none of the models look amazing, but I'd say you get 2" with the backside...it is a tough forecast for tomorrow....rain seem unlikely for DC and NW.....sleet is the better call for say late morning through mid afternoon...then back to snow.....soundings at 12z and 15z are way better than you might think....18z and 21z are sleet soundings...unless you really believe that we are getting rain with 850 temps of 0.5 or so.....or that you think they will even really warm above 0

Thanks!

Even if the back side isn't great... I'm sure I'll be high on life if this front side is like 8 or 10 inches.

If we cash in at the beginning then the rest is gravy.  More is better but until the mixing issue is resolved(which will only happen during the storm) that initial thump is where its at.

Hi Res shows the evolution well...we get raked until 10am....is some of that sleet?...maybe me and you mix...I am not confident we do a full flip for very long but maybe that is wishful thinking

From 10-4pm we lull with light rain/sleet/snow/drizzle etc.....as the precip picks back up, from 4-10 we flip to moderate snow and get a solid 4+ hours of snow....probably tacking on another 2", maybe 3"....

Hi Res shows the evolution well...we get raked until 10am....is some of that sleet?...maybe me and you mix...I am not confident we do a full flip for very long but maybe that is wishful thinking

From 10-4pm we lull with light rain/sleet/snow/drizzle etc.....as the precip picks back up, from 4-10 we flip to moderate snow and get a solid 4+ hours of snow....probably tacking on another 2", maybe 3"....

850's stay east enough for us... but barely looks like... I am going to assume if the precip is heavy enough like the hi-res shows it should be snow... prob tapering to sleet 10am or so after

I was thinking about that. It could be really hot and heavy for a time overnight. Flirting with sleet line is never a bad thing in our parts with a coastal.

You guys are saturated to the strat with omega throughout the mid levels. Maybe someone with bufkit can comment, but I don't see a lot to stop the dendrite unloading at peak forcing. Arguably, the dendritic zone is a little high, giving flakes time to alter/rime but meh...

Point and click for DC looks like it was upped slightly, no?

• Tonight Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 26. North wind 7 to 13 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
  • Thursday Snow before noon, then snow and sleet between noon and 3pm, then snow after 3pm. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 34. North wind 13 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow and sleet accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

850's stay east enough for us... but barely looks like... I am going to assume if the precip is heavy enough like the hi-res shows it should be snow... prob tapering to sleet 10am or so after

it's the warm nose at 900-925mb that we need to be worried about....it is a very shallow layer and so close to freezing not sure we get PD2 style driving sleet...that was an inversion layer above 850mb anyway which is harder to combat.....that happens to us mid morning...we get a warm layer above...it is much less likely to get snow when you have that....a tiny warm nose at 900mb?...f-uck that...we can snow through that...

You guys are saturated to the strat with omega throughout the mid levels. Maybe someone with bufkit can comment, but I don't see a lot to stop the dendrite unloading at peak forcing. Arguably, the dendritic zone is a little high, giving flakes time to alter/rime but meh...

We're all pretty pumped about the front end threat here. It's been so long since we had area wide +SN. I doubt many hardcore or even casual weenies will be sleeping tonight. I'm napping after the euro. lol

Archived