• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 12-13 Storm, Part III: Trilogy ends and then Obs thread soon!

stormtracker

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GFS is still the furthest east so far in the early 0z runs. The 500mb on this run was actually pretty good and the low strengthened considerably down to 986 off the Delmarva. I personally don't even pay attention to the precip output. The GFS is notoriously bad with the southern stream. It's a real kick in the groin though that we are 24 hrs from the event and really no legit model consensus. It was great to see RGEM bounce back east, albeit very strangely. I thought it was going to veer to Buffalo at 18z

look at the precip bullseyes way east in the ocean. Classic convective feedback. QPF is crap... throw it out

Just because convective precipitation is triggered in the model does not automatically mean the QPF is crap and to throw it out.  You have to dig a little deeper, look at heating rates, impact on mass field, etc.  I've only taken a cursory glance but I don't see anything too egregious.  It is plausible that strong, deep convection in the eastern quadrant of the storm can rob some of the fetch and mess with things.

Archived