• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 12-13 Storm, Part III: Trilogy ends and then Obs thread soon!

stormtracker

the convective feedback is usually the stuff out of weenie handbook, but it may have some merit here.   That track is actually pretty good here (not sure it's in some "consensus" as mentioned earlier...it's nothing like the Euro/CMC).

Yes thank you. I rarely pull the convective feedback out of my pocket, because its so overused. People see heavy precip elongated, or h5 vort in front and scream convective feedback... no thats a true moisture robbing situation. This is a classic case study of what real convective feedback looks like on the model.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just because convective precipitation is triggered in the model does not automatically mean the QPF is crap and to throw it out.  You have to dig a little deeper, look at heating rates, impact on mass field, etc.  I've only taken a cursory glance but I don't see anything too egregious.  It is plausible that strong, deep convection in the eastern quadrant of the storm can rob some of the fetch and mess with things.

agree 100 % that strong convection can rob moisture from a system. What I have a problem with is not how the QPF field is screwed with, but the emergence of strong convection in the first place. None of the dynamics support it.

Here is 30 hours h5, for when that panel I posted is valid starting QPF time, where do you see any lifting mechanism to support strong convection off the coast like that? UL support is way down in GA

gfs_namer_030_500_vort_ht_s.gif

It might and nobody can discount it entirely...but it's really on it's own with NO models support for that dry western flank like that.

The mid lvl stuff is all very good. Like most models give or take some.

Guys, Plymouth doesn't show the QPF at 42... as I said in my post... the 36 hr panel is how much QPF falls between hrs 30 and 36 (aka 06z and 12z, or 1 to 7am).  The 48 hr panel is how much QPF (prob snow) falls between 18z and 00z aka 1pm and 7pm.  You will have to wait for meteocentre when it comes out in an hour to get the precip from 00z to 06z (30 hr panel) and 12z to 18z (42 hr panel)  Plymouth does NOT have those panels

Archived