• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
12z Models 2/11/2014 | Potential Major Coastal Storm

earthlight

There is taint for a period of time but this is a blizzard as the CCB develops overhead 66-78 hours. 

Agreed, hour 54 looks toasty, but maybe in reality it is not much warmer then 00z as I had stated. It's possible that in between frames on 00z that warm punch was still there but just not at the exact time of any 6 hr increment. That warm punch is pretty nasty HOWEVER, entirely possible that some areas still snow with that warm punch due to raging dynamics, hard for me to bet  on rain with that kind of WAA/Theta-E advection occurring with such strong lift/dynamics.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 500mb is classically closed and takes a perfect track for epic back-end CCB snows. This may turn out to be the most interesting part of the storm. 

Indeed, there is going to be a period where many are saying "storm cancel" and "bust" UNTIL that CCB develops and rips for a good 12+ hours. Looks like we may get classic front end thump as WAA begins to pull over the departing dome of cold air, as coastal passes our latitude it's very possible we dry/slot and go to taint/light rain (though this is even in doubt because looking at hour 54-60 on euro screams to me theta-e advection occurring in sync with amazing lift as moist ocean air begins to pull over a NErly flow so I highly doubt that even if it is as warm as euro is showing that some areas just inland remain ripping snow), then the CCB develops and all hell breaks loose.

The 12z GEFS mean is very similar to the OP.

Again the GFS ensembles are under dispersive... meaning they don't capture the true probability distribution function (PDF) of possible solutions like the ECMWF which had 50 members and does a much better job of giving some some assessment of the forecasting uncertainty. 

The LLJ is really impressive for the CCB Thursday night with 55-65 kt at 850 on sw flank into early Friday.

I can see 6 on the front end at KNYC  , then at 60 , there seems to be about .02 of rain - so it snizzles , then like last Feb and Jan 2011 ,  Many will get 6 to 8  plus on the back end 

I can see 6 on the front end at KNYC  , then at 60 , there seems to be about .02 of rain - so it snizzles , then like last Feb and Jan 2011 ,  Many will get 6 to 8  plus on the back end 

So ,as currently modeled Both Nam and Euro come in at 12-15 in but via different routes & ideas

The CCB looks beautiful with the Euro showing a second jet streak coming underneath Thursday night giving 

us twin exit regions in addition to the entrance to the NE. 

Archived