joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Big One - Observation

JoshM

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's snowed all day long.  We had some decent rates for a short time earlier, but no stickage, aside from elevated surfaces.  It's mostly been flurries since around 12:45, but now it's picking up a little again.  Temperatures in the mid-30s make accumulations highly unlikely, though.  It's a nice preview before The Big One, though.

Has snowed for 5 straight hours. Couple of times moderately. Temp is 34 and if this would have happened overnight I would have had 1-2 inches easily.

Yep, iffy rates, the February sun angle, and temperatures in the mid-30s really killed it for us.  No big deal, though; I didn't expect as much as we got.  It should make for some black ice tomorrow morning in spots.

This obs thread better be the happnin place by mid morning tomorrow. Deep south folks need to pony up the reports early and often. Met85 was the big winner of todays warm up with a solid 3+ inches on the mountain top.

Anybody willing to start and track a friendly pool to pick the jackpot spot? Heck, we could even go three rounds with snow, sleet and zr! Although i dont think the jackpot for zr would really be happy with their prize of no power for a week. So lets focus on snow. Closest to the sweet spot wins?

This obs thread better be the happnin place by mid morning tomorrow. Deep south folks need to pony up the reports early and often. Met85 was the big winner of todays warm up with a solid 3+ inches on the mountain top.

Anybody willing to start and track a friendly pool to pick the jackpot spot? Heck, we could even go three rounds with snow, sleet and zr! Although i dont think the jackpot for zr would really be happy with their prize of no power for a week. So lets focus on snow. Closest to the sweet spot wins?

Top of Mt. Mitchell! 

The sweet spot will be the northeastern quadrant of High Point, NC.  Book it.  :weenie:

-----------

Nah, seriously, I'd probably go with either Hickory or Asheville, depending on how far west the track gets (only counting major cities).  Gun to my head, I'd go with Asheville.

I've already stocked up my beer supply and am ready to rock. AHN now at 45°, dew point at 42°.

ditto lol

just ran out in the drizzle and fog (ugh lol) to check and looks like the ne wind is finally starting up a bit, so hopefully some of the colder air can start filtering down (36* it was in the mid 40s this afternoon)

Could be a major bust,  hate to say it.

The 00Z RAOB for FFC would suggest its game over for any snow at least near there and probably ATL proper...there are numerous saturated layers from 800-950mb that are way above freezing and would not be able to cool before 12-15Z tomorrow...I promise you though there won't be any bust tomorrow night or Wednesday, it may not be snow for some but it will be sleet or freezing rain and plenty of it.

The 00Z RAOB for FFC would suggest its game over for any snow at least near there and probably ATL proper...there are numerous saturated layers from 800-950mb that are way above freezing and would not be able to cool before 12-15Z tomorrow...I promise you though there won't be any bust tomorrow night or Wednesday, it may not be snow for some but it will be sleet or freezing rain and plenty of it.

Having doubts about that as well.  Plus its going to be 60 Saturday 

36 and still falling slowly, few tenths an hour.  Only hit 42 today (forecast high was 48). DP 32, humidity 85%, pretty breezy.  It has been misting/drizzling since this morning.  Tiny tiny specs.

Since the forecast low tonight is 35 and I'm already at 36, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that mby will (as usual) end up several degrees cooler than forecast.  Guessing we'll bottom out somewhere 31-33.

ETA: since profile data is turned off - Northeast Cherokee county, almost Pickens county line.

Archived