joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Burns' Big Banter Bonanza

NCsandhills

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question on the CAD that is starting to settle in to NC.  Past history from me living in Winston-Salem area is that the dry cold air settles in and when the precip gets here, it takes an hour or two before the atmosphere is dampened and the snow actually hits the ground.  Will we see the same thing with this storm ?  Was not sure if the heavy wet snow helped to dampen the air sooner.

Often yes, but this time the air is fairly well saturated already. My temp is 26º with a 21º dew point. There won't be much virga with this storm.

It's 26/14 here in central NC.  You sure?

That's a long way away and a lot of moisture between me and you. Plus, it looks like the rain is going to be moderate to heavy at times. Doesn't look to stay on anything very long to give it a chance to freeze. Points east of Atlanta are a different story, but I still don't think it's going to be as bad as its made out to be.

That looks a little wonky to me. The low was moving north, and then it elongated into two areas before strengthening the southern part of it again. Wild! What kind of totals are we looking at?

You can see the low level clouds coming in from the NE in Charlotte right now which is pretty cool. Western horizon just looks thick, but you look up and can see stars with the low levels whisping by. This is gonna be such a fun storm, been years since we've had a chance at a big one like this. Now I just need my dew point to bottom out...down to 28 now

Going with 2-4 inches do snow for you and then .25 - .50 ZR. If the low tracks west, we could change to rain....but we shouldn't count on it.

What we already knew and thought.

The GFS looks identical, but slower, it's amazing how slow it is, if anything it's a hair east of 18z.  Don't have temps/precip yet, it looks to dry to me.

I'm probably going to get skewered for writing this, but, I just don't see significant ice accumulation with this storm. The dew points upstream are not very low. My temp has been stationary at 35 for 4 hours now. There is a huge warm layer way beyond 700 mb over me. There is not even any snow forming above. This is mostly plain rain with maybe some ice in the high tree tops of some local hills, maybe. I'm ready to go to work tomorrow. Roads will be wet but otherwise free of ice. Temps, at worst, might dip to 32 but that won't make ice, especially with as warm as it's been lately. I understand the desire to be safe, but come on, back off on the extreme warnings in light of new information.

Now, let's talk about flooding, because that might be an actual minor concern.

I have been wondering this for a while.  

Going with 2-4 inches do snow for you and then .25 - .50 ZR. If the low tracks west, we could change to rain....but we shouldn't count on it.

That is ridiculous. 4 inches is on the low side, even with the ice. If they don't think it is going to turn to rain, then the only reason it would be that low is because of less precip, and there is nothing that has indicated that.

Archived