wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Feb 12-13 Sleet/Snow/ZR Event

JoshM

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS looks even weaker with the s/w.   Hardly even a low registering in the gulf by 108.  Just can seems to shake off that old MRF bias.

Lol, it's a lot colder though! The midwest LOW is much further west....the storm still just looks like crud though, like you said. 

I have no idea what's going to happen next week.  Nothing wouldn't suprise me. 

Now now, lets not only tell half the story. There's no way most of NC gets snow from the currently modeled setup and he knows that.

Same WxSouth post, "That dotted blue zone is the rough guide for snow to sleet transition. A very rough guide. Many times in this setup, the snow line will be further north of that line, thanks to warm nose aloft, but we'll worry about that later"

read where there is no warm nose around in this setup for nc

GFS looks even weaker with the s/w.   Hardly even a low registering in the gulf by 108.  Just can seems to shake off that old MRF bias.

The GFS's handling of true southern stream waves like this may be the biggest flaw of any model as it relates to winter weather in the southeast.  Having said that, the Pacific flow is fast, so it may not be as far off in this case.  Not much wiggle room with the cold air for a storm that has 4 days to creep north and trend warmer

Considering all the times we have to put up with cold chasing moisture here in the good old Southeast, isn't it nice to have one event where it looks like the moisture will be chasing the cold. Of course, at least precip wise, the result will probably end up the same, but still.

The GFS is probably too slow getting the entire thing going, hence if the event does come to fruition I'd expect its going to organize and come up the coast faster than the GFS and probably even the Euro currently suggest amd hence there would be a better air mass in place.

This sounds like a good thing for everyone on the east coast hoping for snowier solution.

The GFS's handling of true southern stream waves like this may be the biggest flaw of any model as it relates to winter weather in the southeast.  Having said that, the Pacific flow is fast, so it may not be as far off in this case.  Not much wiggle room with the cold air for a storm that has 4 days to creep north and trend warmer

True, but if the Baffin ridge, as Robert has been mentioning, does evolve it will allow the storm track to slow down and build our CAD.  The analogs back this up.

The DGEX is a complete whiff for everybody.  On a good note, the 18z NAVGEM is a big hit , decent hit, for most people Tuesday night.  

I don't get where all this "everyone" talk comes from when clearly even the Navy model could be ice for areas of GA & SC.. just glancing over.  850s suck in the Midlands.

I don't get where all this "everyone" talk comes from when clearly even the Navy model could be ice for areas of GA & SC.. just glancing over.  850s suck in the Midlands.

I guess I have always counted a “hit” as anything wintry, whether it be snow,sleet, or freezing rain.  IMO, Beggars can’t be choosers in the Southeast.

FWIW, here is wpc’s take.  It looks like they are predicting the perfect setup at the moment.

post-309-0-52412600-1391813181_thumb.gif

I guess I have always counted a “hit” as anything wintry, whether it be snow,sleet, or freezing rain.  IMO, Beggars can’t be choosers in the Southeast.

FWIW, here is hpc’s take.  It looks like they are predicting the perfect setup at the moment.

Interesting look from the HPC.  KCAE is trying to mention stuff around now.. for some reason they are saying rain/snow which is hilarious.. maybe in the far northern counties if lucky as currently modeled.

Back to the HPC thing.. isn't that high pretty weak for the big Euro look before 12z?

I'd rather end up cold rain here.. a hit of freezing rain is not what I want; at all. lol

Are you saying you read that somewhere? How on earth would someone know that this far out?

read where there is no warm nose around in this setup for nc

There's always a warm nose at some point location with CAD. Nobody knows where this will be for sure right now, I'm sure most locations in NC will deal with a warm nose at some point actually.

There's always a warm nose at some point location with CAD. Nobody knows where this will be for sure right now, I'm sure most locations in NC will deal with a warm nose at some point actually.

I mean, I've seen it on the GFS in multiple locations across NC on yesterday's runs, not so much today because the ground temps are even worse so it's not even cold enough on the ground to allow a warm nose. Someone, somewhere, will get the shaft.

DGEX has a shower of disorganized vorts ahead of the primary vortmax... it's just as confused as the gfs.

It pulls out more energy for the overrunning event and whiffs the primary event.  Still looks to put down several inches across NC during the overrunning.

Archived