• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Feb 12-13 Sleet/Snow/ZR Event

JoshM

NAVGEM is a very nice snowfall day 4+ for NC, that is definitely trending nicely on the models.

Yes, puts down a few good inches of snow across NC with the overrunning event ahead of the southern wave. Cold is gone by the time the primary low arrives.. albeit weak and progressive.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got a look at the 12z ecmwf ens members. Mean snow at RDU looks to still be around 4.5 inches or so.

I count 18 members with 6+ inches at RDU. vs only 13 at 00z, so actually a small improvement.

Again keep in mind this takes into account ice as well and isnt purely snow.

If you get a chance take a look at CLT, INT, and HKY

Just got a look at the 12z ecmwf ens members. Mean snow at RDU looks to still be around 4.5 inches or so.

I count 18 members with 6+ inches at RDU. vs only 13 at 00z, so actually a small improvement.

Technically, not an MBY question, though those with a sense of geography can see it as such....

Does the 850 line transect NC east-to-west, or is it sloping somewhat? What are some decent landmarks for orientation. Thanks!

Encouraging news...Thanks for the update Allan!

The 18z GFS may well be correct, but to be honest I was expecting it (and other models) to lose the storm yesterday. Very seldom have I seen models keep a winter storm from day 7 to the event. Day 5/4 seems to be the twilight zone. I think this may be another case where either late tomorrow or Sunday it starts to trend back to a more wintery look.

KCAE now has 39 members onboard for Winter weather opposed to 31 at last night's 00z.

GEFS individual members showed that 1310m line through this area.. and some even hinting at snow pretty far down into SC.

I guess I have always counted a “hit” as anything wintry, whether it be snow,sleet, or freezing rain. IMO, Beggars can’t be choosers in the Southeast.

FWIW, here is wpc’s take. It looks like they are predicting the perfect setup at the moment.

Ditto! I am not getting all the negativity either - cad events are fun and it's been a long time. Cad rains have been plentiful so now we need a cad with something frozen

I am still liking the look for a cad event. Getting a bit excited lol

It's an improvement of a inch in ensembles from 00z to 12z Euro for Asheville thanks to two or three more big dogs. However, 2 members did dropped the idea of 2+ inches event from 00z. Again, like RaleighWx said, this is assuming all frozen precip is 10:1 ratio snow.

The map posted above seems to be for tomorrow's event? It's only valid thru the 11th...

Nope.  It just straight goes too far North for NC. (the first wave).. NAM doesn't go out long enough to get the "main show" yet... but not sure it'd even be there...

Notice it says "24 hr snow".. well that would be between 00z on the 10th and 00z on the 11th or Monday 00z through Tuesday at 00z.

My take is Tonight's 0z and Sat 12 z Euro op and ens will tell the tale if they hold their ground. If the Euro consistency continues you will be under the 120 benchmark. I always had a rule of thumb that if the euro ops/ens give you consecutive runs under 120, it's hard to beat. So the pressure is on tonight and lunchtime tomorrow. If it's gonna fold its hand it will be at these time slots IMO. The Euro has been keeping the southern stream energy as the dominant fixture while the GFS the past couple of runs has been letting the northern stream take over leftover crumbs from the dissolving southern stream energy. Will be interesting to watch unfold, hopefully the rubber will snap and erase this 3 year snow drought.

Archived