joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 12-13 Sleet/Snow/ZR Event

JoshM

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the euro is taking away some of the punch as far as moisture goes for the second system for areas further north. It's colder though, temps into the 20s but best moisture is to the south across south/central ga into sc where there is a lot of ice in south carolina...but it's still some additional icing for the cad areas..and very close to a lot more icing if that moisture is angled a bit more north. The euro sure makes for a complicated forecast.

the euro is taking away some of the punch as far as moisture goes for the second system. It's colder though, temps into the 20s but best moisture is to the south across south/central ga into sc..but it's still some additional icing for the cad areas..and very close to a lot more icing if that moisture is angled a bit more north. The euro sure makes for a complicated forecast.

ZR nails you too man.

I know down here in the "country" power poles in some spots will be really close to each other.. and then areas will be way further apart.  So I guess it really just depends on where you live.  It seems like the mountain type areas would have the most distance between poles though.  Can anyone chime in on this?

At least for everywhere in the mountains I have lived/visited, the poles tend to be quite close together and not very tall (spaced closely because of the hills and turns determining how the lines need to curve, and not as tall because of trees overhead and fewer wires needing to be carried).   They also tend to be wooden instead of metal as they are in town and ATL proper. The only times I see them further apart in the mountain region are in valleys and other random spots where the road is long and straight, and of course down in the city they can be further apart because they use the larger metal poles.

the euro is taking away some of the punch as far as moisture goes for the second system for areas further north. It's colder though, temps into the 20s but best moisture is to the south across south/central ga into sc where there is a lot of ice in south carolina...but it's still some additional icing for the cad areas..and very close to a lot more icing if that moisture is angled a bit more north. The euro sure makes for a complicated forecast.

Give me 6-10 inches from my area to Charlotte with the first punch, and I won't care about punch number two!

ZR nails you too man.

i'm right on the edge of the heavier freezing rain with the second system and on the edge of the ice/snow area of the first one. I'm not sure if I should be happy with this run or not LOL. Seriously...I've never seen a period of weather like the euro is forecasting here and one degree one way or the other makes the difference between something epic or not. The euro dumps 1 inch liquid over me, the southern upstate by 96 hours but I don't know what it would be LOl

At least for everywhere in the mountains I have lived/visited, the poles tend to be quite close together and not very tall (spaced closely because of the hills and turns determining how the lines need to curve, and not as tall because of trees overhead and fewer wires needing to be carried).   They also tend to be wooden instead of metal as they are in town and ATL proper. The only times I see them further apart in the mountain region are in valleys and other random spots where the road is long and straight, and of course down in the city they can be further apart because they use the larger metal poles.

Thanks!  My "vision" was 100% different for the mountains.  Out here in my area; all our poles are wooden.. even into town until you get to "mains street"  they are metal..but just recently done.

i'm right on the edge of the heavier freezing rain with the second system and on the edge of the ice/snow area of the first one. I'm not sure if I should be happy with this run or not LOL. Seriously...I've never seen a period of weather like the euro is forecasting here and one degree one way or the other makes the difference between something epic or not. The euro dumps 1 inch liquid over me, the southern upstate by 96 hours but I don't know what it would be LOl

Msged you a scary sight.  I think your area is on the map.

The Euro literally has snow/sleet/frzn rain over the bulk of the area for 42 solid hours, granted the last 12 hours is light but still.  Starts at roughly hour 84 and last through hour 126.

Most events are very short lived... I don't remember an event that persisted for over 18 hours, much less near 2 days.

Most events are very short lived... I don't remember an event that persisted for over 12 hours, much less near 2 days.

the thing here is that there are two "waves".  not just one.  I know KCAE earlier.. had a talk about snow monday night.. through thrusday or so.. here in SC.

There seems to be a break between the two though. so the period wouldnt be "persistant" so to speak.

the thing here is that there are two "waves".  not just one.  I know KCAE earlier.. had a talk about snow monday night.. through thrusday or so.. here in SC.

There seems to be a break between the two though. so the period wouldnt be "persistant" so to speak.

If the second wave goes further north, then us folks that would get the ~ 6-11 inches would get a sheet of ice on top

Most events are very short lived... I don't remember an event that persisted for over 18 hours, much less near 2 days.

It's hard to believe, and considering it's never happened, that I recall, it probably won't but the one thing that does look promising is the first wave of over-running that starts at 84 hours is on every global model, the Euro is most robust, the Euro is really tough inside day 3, if the 12z run has it tomorrow that will be telling.

It's hard to believe, and considering it's never happened, that I recall, it probably won't but the one thing that does look promising is the first wave of over-running that starts at 84 hours is on every global model, the Euro is most robust, the Euro is really tough inside day 3, if the 12z run has it tomorrow that will be telling.

The GFS was just getting it's act back together on 0z... so this time tomorrow should paint a much better picture.

Archived