• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 12-13 Sleet/Snow/ZR Event

JoshM

Dont ever try and hail a cab in San Francisco when it's raining ;)

One thing I saw about the moisture fetch was in GSP's discussion this morning which mentioned the storm, as modeled on the euro, is showing a deep moisture fetch which none of our events this year has had.

Moisture won't be an issue, but where the ever elusive high locks in, and whether or not we have a pesky low in the lakes region will be the deciding factor of what form of frozen precipitation falls and how far south it goes.  ;) 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could some one be kind and give some insight on eastern nc for this event... I respect all of you and I'm not trying to be a pain its just a little hard sometimes trying to figure out what's going on here when so much is going on... thanks for all the time and effort everyone gives to the board.

I dont believe this will be your storm if you're that far east. Sorry. 

Does anyone mind giving a quick report on the Euro Ensembles?  Are they similar to the op or the previous EPS?  Thanks!

Comparing 12z to today's 00z, they are essentially the same so no significant changes. Mean is pretty good this far out and I'd say it supports a decent chance. Now whether or not WxBell is seeing snow where there's IP I'm not sure, temps are borderline, but FWIW...

KRDU means are around the same, 5.5-5.7"

New 00z

8/51 members are 9"+

30/51 have 2-8"

3 have no snow

12z yesterday

12/51 members were 9"+

28/51 have 2-8"

all members had snow

Comparing 12z to today's 00z, they are essentially the same so no significant changes. Mean is pretty good this far out and I'd say it supports a decent chance. Now whether or not WxBell is seeing snow where there's IP I'm not sure, temps are borderline, but FWIW...

New 00z

8/51 members are 9"+

30/51 have 2-8"

3 have no snow

12z yesterday

12/51 members were 9"+

28/51 have 2-8"

all members had snow

Thanks Jon!

The moisture fetch was also addressed in the Video posted above that was created by wxsouth.

Dont ever try and hail a cab in San Francisco when it's raining ;)

One thing I saw about the moisture fetch was in GSP's discussion this morning which mentioned the storm, as modeled on the euro, is showing a deep moisture fetch which none of our events this year has had.

New 00z

8/51 members are 9"+

30/51 have 2-8"

3 have no snow

12z yesterday

12/51 members were 9"+

28/51 have 2-8"

all members had snow

According to Ryan, those ensemble members don't factor in upper air temps. He said you need to look at QPF and then 850's and surface temps to be accurate.

According to Ryan, those ensemble members don't factor in upper air temps. He said you need to look at QPF and then 850's and surface temps to be accurate.

So basically I need to look at soundings for the individual ensemble members? That sounds fun. Either way, the snowfall outputs are FWIW...definitely still good at detecting trends, this is quite the marginal system as far as temps go. Doubtful any of those members are all snow.

Good grief, look at the huge low over MN, that's going to shove any HP out of the way...

Is there anyway we can switch the MN low with the 1011 low in the gulf?  I'm pretty positive that the GL low will be there.  Was it modeled to be this strong on earlier runs?  Why doesn't it fizzle out as it moves across the northern tier?

...MODEL PREFERENCES AND SENSIBLE WEATHER HIGHLIGHTS...

ACROSS THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST/N. CA/ N. ROCKIES...PREFER A SOLUTION
CLOSEST TO THE GLOBAL ENSEMBLE MEANS THAT AVERAGES THE
FASTER/STRONGER 00Z GFS WITH THE SLOWER 06Z GFS/00Z ECMWF. THE
SOLUTION SPREAD IS UNUSUALLY HIGH FOR JUST A DAY 3/4
FORECAST...BUT IS CONSISTENT WITH THE UNCERTAINTY IN HOW THE UPPER
CYCLONE OFFSHORE WILL ERODE. HEAVY LOWER ELEVATION RAINS AND
HIGHER ELEVATION SNOWS SHOULD AFFECT THE REGION BY NEXT TUESDAY.
AFTER A BRIEF RESPITE IN THE HIGHER PRECIPITATION RATES...ANOTHER
SURGE OF HEAVY PRECIPITATION MAY RETURN TO THE REGION BY DAY
7/FRI...ALTHOUGH IT IS POSSIBLE THAT THIS SUBSEQUENT EVENT MAY
INFLUENCE AREAS SLIGHTLY MORE TO THE NORTH. AGAIN...RELIED UPON
THE GLOBAL ENSEMBLE MEANS TO ADDRESS THE SPREAD LARGELY
REPRESENTED BY THE FASTER/STRONGER 00Z GFS ON ONE END WITH THE
SLOWER 06Z GFS/00Z ECMWF ON THE OTHER.

ACROSS THE CENTRAL AND EAST...USED AN AVERAGE OF THE GLOBAL
ENSEMBLE MEANS AS A WHOLE BUT WITH CONSIDERABLE MANUAL ADJUSTMENTS
LATER IN THE PERIOD THAT INDICATES LITTLE OR NO CONFIDENCE IN
MODEL DETAILS. FOR DAY 3/MON...PREFER THE WEAKER 00Z ECMWF/00Z
ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEAN WITH LOW PRESSURE NEAR THE NORTHEAST COAST
VERSUS THE STRONGER AND SEEMINGLY UNLIKELY 06Z GEFS MEAN GIVEN
PERSISTENT UPPER LEVEL CONFLUENCE ACROSS THE REGION. MAINLY LIGHT
SNOWS ARE EXPECTED WITH THIS SYSTEM. MEANWHILE...RAIN WITH SOME
MIXED PRECIPITATION WILL BEGIN TO DEVELOP ACROSS EAST TEXAS AND
LOWER MS VALLEY AS THE NEXT SHORTWAVE TROUGH ENTERS THE
REGION...BEFORE POSSIBLY EXPANDING ACROSS THE ENTIRE EAST COAST
LATER IN THE PERIOD AS MULTIPLE SYSTEMS APPROACH FROM THE WEST AND
POSSIBLY INTERACT WITH IT. BY DAY 6/THU...THE 00Z ECMWF LIES NEAR
THE NORTHERN EDGE OF THE GUIDANCE WITH A SERIES OF LOWS DEEPENING
NEAR THE MID-ATLANTIC COAST BEFORE MOVING TOWARD NOVA SCOTIA BY
DAY 7/FRI. THE 06Z GFS DEVELOPS THE INITIAL LOW FARTHER SOUTH
CLOSER TO THE GLOBAL ENSEMBLE MEANS BUT EVENTUALLY JOINS THE ECMWF
OVER THE NORTHEAST/NEW ENGLAND. HOWEVER...THESE SOLUTIONS
REQUIRES VERY COMPLICATED AND PERFECTLY-TIMED INTERACTIONS WITH
MULTIPLE SYSTEMS...THAT WHILE PLAUSIBLE...CONTAIN SUCH LOW
CONFIDENCE THAT WILL DOWNPLAY THEM SIGNIFICANTLY.
INSTEAD...PREFER TO EMPHASIZE THE SOUTHERN STREAM THAT ALLOWS FOR
LESS NORTHERN/SOUTHERN STREAM INTERACTION. IN TURN...THIS RESULTS
IN A LESS IMPACTFUL NORTHERN STREAM SYSTEM CROSSING THE GREAT
LAKES AND ALLOWS HIGH PRESSURE OVER NEW ENGLAND TO REMAIN MORE
ANCHORED IN PLACE THAN DEPICTED BY CURRENT GUIDANCE THAT WOULD
PREVENT THE SOUTHERN STREAM LOW FROM MOVING SO FAR NORTH.

I looked back at the 6z GFS.  I'll post the image from the same time as the one packbacker posted.  The GL low was about 150 miles further north and 4mb weaker on the 6z.  Also, it appears that the Bafflin ridge that Robert was talking about is broken down in on the 12z which allows the northern low to track further east.

gfs_mslpa_us_48.png

GFS may be falling into its classic bias of overplaying the northern stream.  Here, it quickly phases in with the trailing southern wave behind our storm and blows up a big low over the lakes, and fizzles out our southern short wave. The 0z Euro meanwhile keeps the pieces of energy apart where by 0z Feb 13, it has several weak low pressure centers associated with each separate piece of energy moving through... and  maintains our southern s/w with CAD in place.

As long as our system continues to hold its own,  the won't be a deep Great Lakes low to contend with.

I looked back at the 6z GFS. I'll post the image from the same time as the one packbacker posted. The GL low was about 150 miles further north and 4mb weaker on the 6z. Also, it appears that the Bafflin ridge that Robert was talking about is broken down in on the 12z which allows the northern low to track further east.

I have not seen the 12z gfs due to being in a meeting but noticed on earlier runs that the gfs was the strongest with that low over the lakes. The euro had it later and not as well defined. I'm not sure which is correct but I believe the cmc leans towards the euro on this feature.

...MODEL PREFERENCES AND SENSIBLE WEATHER HIGHLIGHTS...

. IN TURN...THIS RESULTS

IN A LESS IMPACTFUL NORTHERN STREAM SYSTEM CROSSING THE GREAT

LAKES AND ALLOWS HIGH PRESSURE OVER NEW ENGLAND TO REMAIN MORE

ANCHORED IN PLACE THAN DEPICTED BY CURRENT GUIDANCE THAT WOULD

PREVENT THE SOUTHERN STREAM LOW FROM MOVING SO FAR NORTH.

I'm interpreting this is good, with no lakes low?  Or would the less interaction make more of a petered out supressed southern system that the last two GFS runs showed?

I'm interpreting this is good, with no lakes low?  Or would the less interaction make more of a petered out supressed southern system that the last two GFS runs showed?

Looks like our battle ground will be over the Great Lakes, rather than the Gulf this time. Your interpretation would be correct. No GL low, or one that isn't strong enough to bump the high, gives us colder air.

The Canadian appears to be a solid thump, though the HP does move out a little faster than last night and it's probably somewhat warmer.  Waiting on precip maps...

The surface low tracks from south of New Orleans to Jacksonville to 100 miles east of Morehead City by hr 144.  Pretty good track with the low, at least.  It deepens to 1006 mb as it is passing NC.

EDIT: Precip maps are out and there's a nasty precip cutoff somewhere around the I-85 to I-77 corridors in NC. Up near Mt. Airy, for example, probably hardly gets anything. Plenty of precip east of there, though, and I wouldn't worry about that too much at this point.  Still waiting on temperatures.

The Canadian appears to be a solid thump, though the HP does move out a little faster than last night and it's probably somewhat warmer. Waiting on precip maps...

The surface low tracks from south of New Orleans to Jacksonville to 100 miles east of Morehead City by hr 144. Pretty good track with the low, at least. It deepens to 1006 mb as it is passing NC.

EDIT: Precip maps are out and there's a nasty precip cutoff somewhere around the I-85 to I-77 corridors in NC. Plenty of precip east of there, though. Still waiting on temperatures.

850 line in central VA at 132. At 120 it's i-40 north

Euro did the same thing last night, I'm fairly sure.

Actually, looking back, you're right.  The Euro definitely got really close for the Triad area, for example, at hr 138, but by hr 144 (on last night's run), it was easily cold enough again (same thing for CLT).  Interesting.

FWIW, as Packbacker said, the GGEM is a decent hit from the day 4 overrunning event for the northern 2/3rd of NC (assuming BL temperatures are fine, anyways).  It would be cool to get two snowstorms in just a few days.  That's not a common occurrence in the South!

Archived