• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA and The Fringes - February 2014

PennMan

Flakes are much smaller in size, but man is it ripping here.  Trying to get to work this afternoon we'll see how it goes.  Can't drive in this though as of now.

while the city may be ok, getting down there is going to be pain. its why i didnt bother. hell, the hubby works in Hunt Valley and didn't bother going in either.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How in the heck did they manage that!?

Hows the cutoff in central and eastern PA? It's pretty brutal here, I've got about a quarter inch so far but areas 25-30 miles south are reporting 3-5 at least.

We've actually got probably almost 2" here so far (estimation looking out my window :P ). However, I'm sure there's a sharp cutoff (per radar) just north of Centre County.

And I was trying to figure out that car pic, too. I think the guard rail must end not far beyond the truck, so it probably slid off the road before the guard rail and then rode it up.

There's an almost convective look to some of the stuff out near KPIT right now... interesting...

It's funny you say that, because I was just looking at that back there. Some nice vertical motion throughout the region could support a nice back end thumping you classically see if this type of setup. Working our way to 4" here. Snowing pretty good still. Meddler and I are thoroughly enjoy our day off  :lmao:

wondering out loud..............should i tell my wife to leave hershey and start home, or stay, roads will be better later???

I would think better later after it ends... temps will be warm enough for penndot to get a better handle on roads than they are right now... government offices in harrisburg/philly/reading now closed for today

Good morning all!  Got up about 30 mins ago (after going to bed at 3am...I'm getting too old for this late stuff but can't control myself...lol), and it looks incredibly white outside  My backyard are woods and it's so white because every single tree is pasted white, that I almost cannot tell the snow intensity.  I would say it's moderate now.  Maybe I missed the heaviest stuff earlier?  My temp is 32.4 degrees with a low of 32.2 degrees back around 5:30.  It's definitely compacting some.  Looks like close to 3".

My weather vane is snowed over and has said northeast since 6:00am.  Wind speed still occasionally sending out a speed of like 1.5mph.  Roads all covered.  Doubt I make it to the 6" mark, but it would be nice to reach 4.5" for the biggest event of the winter so far for me.

Did a little experiment last hour. At 8AM I wiped the back half of the car off and left the other half with the snow.

The Result:

The half of the car which was wiped last hour: +1.3"

The half of the car which was NOT wiped last hour: +1.0"

I've lost at least 2 inches by now to compaction.

I'm going to put a sign in front of your house in Neon lights that says snow capitol of Pennsylvania  :lol:

It seems that way and it is RIDICULOUS.  I keep calling out of work in Baltimore, and people look at me with 2 heads when I tell them how bad it is. My wife is ticked off because we keep burning vacation days this year for localized heavy events.  It is real bad though, so we can't drive without a 4X4  My weenie side is celebrating but my sensible side says cut me a break!. 

Just broke 5 inch mark.  It is ripping.  Small very wet flakes. 

Are you measuring every 30min? lol.  No time for compaction.  Also decks inflate snowfall accum.  You get a "staduim effect" as NWS calls it with snow hitting off the side of house increasing amounts plus whatever comes off the roof.  Maybe this is your only location to measure.   

It seems that way and it is RIDICULOUS.  I keep calling out of work in Baltimore, and people look at me with 2 heads when I tell them how bad it is. My wife is ticked off because we keep burning vacation days this year for localized heavy events.  It is real bad though, so we can't drive without a 4X4  My weenie side is celebrating but my sensible side says cut me a break!. 

Get a Subaru, you won't regret it.

Did a little experiment last hour. At 8AM I wiped the back half of the car off and left the other half with the snow.

The Result:

good experiment.  goes to show why it's important to follow snow measuring guidelines and not inflate totals

It seems that way and it is RIDICULOUS. I keep calling out of work in Baltimore, and people look at me with 2 heads when I tell them how bad it is. My wife is ticked off because we keep burning vacation days this year for localized heavy events. It is real bad though, so we can't drive without a 4X4 My weenie side is celebrating but my sensible side says cut me a break!.

I work near Northeast MD. Sometimes two different worlds.

The Result:

I was thinking about taking core samples and melt them down from hour to hour just to see how much the compaction is increasing the amount of liquid

Archived