MON 12Z 03-FEB     1.1     1.8    1019     0.57 563 548

MON 18Z 03-FEB     1.4    -1.0    1022     0.41 560 543

TUE 00Z 04-FEB     -1.6    -2.1    1025     0.01 563 543 

IAD:

MON 06Z 03-FEB    3.2     3.6     1019     0.02 566 551

MON 12Z 03-FEB    1.1     0.7     1020     0.90 563 547

MON 18Z 03-FEB    1.4    -1.5     1022     0.32 560 542

TUE 00Z 04-FEB    -1.6    -2.0     1026     0.01 564 544 

What are the first 2 columns?  850 and surface temps?  

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So why is the Euro/NAM dropping so much qpf in the way of snow and the GFS is not? What's the difference?

My guess would be the timing of the frontal passage that allows the 850's to sink south to turn over any rain to snow. The GFS, imo is not the best model to use at this time frame, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Where you and I sit are in perfect locations for this storm (I'm in Millersville, Pa at school now, but I lived in around Carney/Parkville area my whole life beforehand). Hope that helped answer your question  :)

My guess would be the timing of the frontal passage that allows the 850's to sink south to turn over any rain to snow. The GFS, imo is not the best model to use at this time frame, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Where you and I sit are in perfect locations for this storm (I'm in Millersville, Pa at school now, but I lived in around Carney/Parkville area my whole life beforehand). Hope that helped answer your question  :)

Thank you, much better than he obvious "temps" answer some felt to respond with

Go back and look at the Dec 9 case when the NAM had a 6F error in surface temps in a case like this one.  It tends to be too cold around DCA. 

Obviously, but WHY

I wouldn't get overly concerned. All models have locked into a high QPF event. With your location and elevation you don't figure to have pouring rain on Feb. 3rd with temps in the low 30's and 850's close. GFS looks like it drags it's feet cooling the entire column. Even if this run verified I think we're still good for 4-6 but I could be wrong.

I wouldn't get overly concerned. All models have locked into a high QPF event. With your location and elevation you don't figure to have pouring rain on Feb. 3rd with temps in the low 30's and 850's close. GFS looks like it drags it's feet cooling the entire column. Even if this run verified I think we're still good for 4-6 but I could be wrong.

I'm not worried, it will snow or it won't. I'm just trying to learn and understand why the GFS show what it does and the euro shows something different.

I think you're in good shape but the southern folk like Ian, Matt, and I are not.  I don't trust the NAM surface temps.   We've been burned by them twice this year and I think twice last if I remember correctly.

Thank you, much better than he obvious "temps" answer some felt to respond with

No problem. The main focus with this storm will be cooling the columns above to get a pure snow signature, albeit a very wet snow. Others have noted the area of most concern will be from 750-850 mb with this storm. If that area is above freezing, then the ptype that could be seen would be in the form of sleet I believe. The dynamics of the system are another important aspect to pay attention too. The area's with the highest UVV, or vertical motion, will experience banding that will help dynamically cool the column above and dump copious amounts of snow in a short time frame despite ratios not being up to standard. Models like the GFS are not the best suited models to pick out such instances, but they can hint at them (HM was explaining this last night in one of his posts). Someone will get thumped tomorrow and my guess is it will be near the MD/PA line closer to you just based off models that are more suited for short range. I think the RGEM has been very consistent since yesterday with its depiction, so I'm riding that off into the sunset

No problem. The main focus with this storm will be cooling the columns above to get a pure snow signature, albeit a very wet snow. Others have noted the area of most concern will be from 750-850 mb with this storm. If that area is above freezing, then the ptype that could be seen would be in the form of sleet I believe. The dynamics of the system are another important aspect to pay attention too. The area's with the highest UVV, or vertical motion, will experience banding that will help dynamically cool the column above and dump copious amounts of snow in a short time frame despite ratios not being up to standard. Models like the GFS are not the best suited models to pick out such instances, but they can hint at them (HM was explaining this last night in one of his posts). Someone will get thumped tomorrow and my guess is it will be near the MD/PA line closer to you just based off models that are more suited for short range. I think the RGEM has been very consistent since yesterday with its depiction, so I'm riding that off into the sunset

great post!

I think you're in good shape but the southern folk like Ian, Matt, and I are not.  I don't trust the NAM surface temps.   We've been burned by them twice this year and I think twice last if I remember correctly.

I think back a few ago during the Feb. 2011 event the NAM was too cold also and a lot of people got burned. That storm was kinda similar to this one but the air mass behind it was stronger.

great post!

Thanks man. There's a reason I'm up here at school is to better understand these types of situations and what to look for. I've learned a lot from many on here like Matt, Bob, Wes, HM, and others who I don't know their exact names lol. Climo is really a big kick in the arse for many on here

Yes but it is not like it is by itself. It has the Euro/Rgem with it and the Rgem has been great with temps this year.

Archived