• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
February 5th beefed up swfe thread-let's get some December 2007 juju,

weathafella

Two things. NAM can show whatever it wants. I don't buy its solution at the moment until the other guidance shows this.

Also, this likely will tick north a tad so the chance for sleet is higher from GHG to HFD and points south.

Thanks Scott....  I just would find it ironic if the Nam, showing the transfer considerably farther north than most other guidance wound up leading the way in portraying the ultimate outcome.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Scott....  I just would find it ironic if the Nam, showing the transfer considerably farther north than most other guidance wound up leading the way in portraying the ultimate outcome.

Honestly, the NAM could be right...but because it can be so untrustworthy....it would not sway me one bit until the rest of the guidance comes out. 

Yeah I know. Pretty sweet. Looks like the confluence to the north is a bit better.

Yeah it shoves the vortmax a bit further south...not sure I buy it. Looks a bit cold to me, but it would be just about a perfect track for BOS-ORH corridor and up into far S NH.

You think that s/w diving out of Canda is helping t reinforce that?  I feel it's helping to hold the confluence just enough.

That lobe swinging down is what is keeping this from running into SNE. You can see how it swoops SE and compresses the height field.

However, still about 24 hrs left for it to tick north...and we should wait and see what the EC is doing.

That lobe swinging down is what is keeping this from running into SNE. You can see how it swoops SE and compresses the height field.

However, still about 24 hrs left for it to tick north...and we should wait and see what the EC is doing.

If it ticked slightly SE from earlier I think our goalposts for adjustment are pretty honed in at this point. You guys have said a 24 hr range north adjustment is typical so I wouldn't be surprised if it does, but it seems like if it does it'll be within a small range.

I thought it was where the OES maxes out?

The closer you are to the mixing line...the quicker you'll usually dryslot too. Those close to the mix line are usually getting precip from strong WAA so when that shuts off..so does the precip.

But, sometimes like in 12/13/07 it can result in a small W-E jack zone.

The closer you are to the mixing line...the quicker you'll usually dryslot too. Those close to the mix line are usually getting precip from strong WAA so when that shuts off..so does the precip.

But, sometimes like in 12/13/07 it can result in a small W-E jack zone.

I like from ORH-MHT for a 8-12" type deal. Northern CT/RI closer to the 8".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like from ORH-MHT for a 8-12" type deal. Northern CT/RI closer to the 8".

Sent from my iPhone

Yeah I like N of the pike through S VT/S NH right now for the best combo of WAA snow thump and then hanging on to the ML fronto/pseudo-CCB type stuff on the tail of the system.

Yeah I like N of the pike through S VT/S NH right now for the best combo of WAA snow thump and then hanging on to the ML fronto/pseudo-CCB type stuff on the tail of the system.

Yeah whoever gets the combo of WAA and CCB and doesn't ping will likely see the most.

People in NNE are starting to get edgy, but I think ML fronto will surprise some that a displaced from the actual CCB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure I buy the QPF depiction of the 12Z GFS.  Assuming that 500 mb setup verifies... cyclonic vorticity advection (referring only to the rotational component of vorticity) and positive shear vorticity (du/dy) look great over SNE, but the competition between +CVA and negative shear vorticity combined with UL confluence over NNE should limit vertical velocities (and perhaps some sinking), resulting in limited QPF along the northern cutoff.  I would expect this sharp latitudinal drop-off of PVA to support a mesoscale band of heavy precip along the northern edge.  A broad region of isentropic lift / WAA should help accumulations for those further north, but probably not to the extent that the GFS is showing. 

So, what I would expect is a band of higher QPF right around, say, the -8 C contour, with little or nothing north of the -10 C.  Let's see what happens :)

(edited to change -12 C to -10 C)

post-378-0-05946100-1391444160_thumb.gif

Not sure I buy the QPF depiction of the 12Z GFS.  Assuming that 500 mb setup verifies... cyclonic vorticity advection (referring only to the rotational component of vorticity) and positive shear vorticity (du/dy) look great over SNE, but the competition between +CVA and negative shear vorticity combined with UL confluence over NNE should limit vertical velocities (and perhaps some sinking), resulting in limited QPF along the northern cutoff.  I would expect this sharp latitudinal drop-off of PVA to support a mesoscale band of heavy precip along the northern edge.  A broad region of isentropic lift / WAA should help accumulations for those further north, but probably not to the extent that the GFS is showing. 

So, what I would expect is a band of higher QPF right around, say, the -8 C contour, with little or nothing north of the -10 C.  Let's see what happens :)

attachicon.giff48.gif

Yeah usually models don't have the resolution to handle those sharp cutoffs..but I see what you mean.

The GFS argues some good frontogenesis and mid level deformation pretty far north, but agree that there will be a sharp northern cutoff. 

To enthusiasts. note the WNW winds near CYUL and WSW winds down by southern VT.

post-33-0-23227100-1391445177_thumb.gif

post-33-0-62837900-1391445190_thumb.gif

Not sure I buy the QPF depiction of the 12Z GFS. Assuming that 500 mb setup verifies... cyclonic vorticity advection (referring only to the rotational component of vorticity) and positive shear vorticity (du/dy) look great over SNE, but the competition between +CVA and negative shear vorticity combined with UL confluence over NNE should limit vertical velocities (and perhaps some sinking), resulting in limited QPF along the northern cutoff. I would expect this sharp latitudinal drop-off of PVA to support a mesoscale band of heavy precip along the northern edge. A broad region of isentropic lift / WAA should help accumulations for those further north, but probably not to the extent that the GFS is showing.

So, what I would expect is a band of higher QPF right around, say, the -8 C contour, with little or nothing north of the -10 C. Let's see what happens :)

Good analysis, should be interesting to watch up here.

Archived