• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
February Medium/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

this has been my complaint starting with the winter of 72/73 when BWI had at least 20" modeled w/in 24 hrs and ended up with 1.2" for the entire winter

I know the models were relatively new back then, but they haven't improved with "specific" forecasts for our area that much with sensible weather....fook 500mb maps

you mean 97-98....unless you had access to some super computer when you were like 10

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actaully, they have improved quite a bit since then.  I've posted the stats before so I won't again.  However,  in some patterns there is little precitability.  Fast flow with lots of shortwaves is really tough on the models.   Put in a block and they are much better.  Right now, they are about as bad as they can be because of the pattern.  Those who look for deterministic forecasts especially beyond a couple of days are fooling themselves. 

well, I was unclear as I should have said that much better when predicting snow (just look at the forecasts Sunday for Monday around here)

the problem is always that they predict way to much for us, and I don't believe that can be disputed

I think its pretty safe to say finally that Winter is over. 

This is the last weekend before sun angle season.  Actually, if you go outside today and lay on the road in traffic you might feel it. 

how is it possible that we go an entire winter without -NAO. I thought we were in era where -NAO was to become more commonplace

A lot of people with "unique" new indices got owned. There's still some time to ease the numbers but yeah...that QBO based -NAO forecast and OPI +AO are in trouble.

In a fair world, the Euro would trend in our direction and improve on its 8-10" thump event...and the GFS would follow....but that never happens

it used to be when the euro showed snow for us and the GFS didnt, we were not uncomfortable. Now, whatever model does not show snow is the one that will end up being right...including the GFS

Archived