amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
February Medium/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We don't want it show a hit this far out anyway.

True. Since the models are wrong whenever they show a HECS we probably want them to show a torch.. except they are almost always right about torch. (here comes Bob.. not this winter!) 

Probably.   That's my "deadline"  if we don't score by say the 20-25th, let's just move on.

GFS wants to keep us interested thru the end of the month it seems (yes, I know it's warm)

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/NCOMAGWEB/appcontroller/Image.php?fhr=384ℑ=data%2Fgfs%2F18%2Fgfs_namer_384_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif&model=gfs&area=namer&param=850_temp_mslp_precip&group=Model+Guidance&imageSize=M

True. Since the models are wrong whenever they show a HECS we probably want them to show a torch.. except they are almost always right about torch. (here comes Bob.. not this winter!)

What's kinda funny the last 5 weeks or so is that the gefs went all torch and stuff in mid Jan for late month but eps said no and the EPS verified. This month the EPS went all torch and stuff for mid month and the gefs said no and will likely verify. It's been an unusual season in the fact that you can hug the colder long range guidance and be right.

Back in the early fall I said that my wag for the year would be alternating warm and cold periods with the colder periods outperforming for the season. It was a good guess. I only blew December because it was 106 for a couple days.

Late Feb will prob warm but it will have some catching up to do to end up warm on the means. You've said it for years, it's hard to bet against persistence until it's gone. We've had decent stretch of no prolonged heat since Jan of last year for the most part. The warmth in the summer months were mostly the result of lows in the 80's with highs in the 80's. June especially IIRC

What's kinda funny the last 5 weeks or so is that the gefs went all torch and stuff in mid Jan for late month but eps said no and the EPS verified. This month the EPS went all torch and stuff for mid month and the gefs said no and will likely verify. It's been an unusual season in the fact that you can hug the colder long range guidance and be right.

Back in the early fall I said that my wag for the year would be alternating warm and cold periods with the colder periods outperforming for the season. It was a good guess. I only blew December because it was 106 for a couple days.

Late Feb will prob warm but it will have some catching up to do to end up warm on the means. You've said it for years, it's hard to bet against persistence until it's gone. We've had decent stretch of no prolonged heat since Jan of last year for the most part. The warmth in the summer months were mostly the result of lows in the 80's with highs in the 80's. June especially IIRC

Yeah, agree pretty much entirely. Though as much as cold is winning it's amusing we (or at least DC) can't put up gigantic monthly departures.. I mean Jan was decent, but it doesn't reflect what it felt like much of the time. 

I don't really see why we're going to flip warm anytime soon.. perhaps there's a wholesale pattern change on the horizon and I haven't looked but the source regions are cold and we tend to like spring blocking over winter blocking.  March rainers for me and pasting after pasting for Mt Parkton. ;)

Yeah, agree pretty much entirely. Though as much as cold is winning it's amusing we (or at least DC) can't put up gigantic monthly departures.. I mean Jan was decent, but it doesn't reflect what it felt like much of the time.

I don't really see why we're going to flip warm anytime soon.. perhaps there's a wholesale pattern change on the horizon and I haven't looked but the source regions are cold and we tend to like spring blocking over winter blocking. March rainers for me and pasting after pasting for Mt Parkton. ;)

March will prob be some sort of epo reload early or West coast ridging with a -ao/nao. Lol. Could be an outright flip to se ridge. I don't have many thoughts tbh.

I've given up on dca's cold. Something is jacked up down by the river. It may never hit below zero again unless Yellowstone blows its top. I think the Chesapeake ice is the biggest sign it was a cold winter. Solid year in that dept.

Archived