northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
February Medium/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, this is what I see...Not like it matters anyway, just saying IT IS above freezing at the surface.

Dark Blue line is the freezing line

cmc2.png

It shows most of the snowfall in the burbs as it is too warm for I-95. Though it does look cold enough at 850, so I guess it would snow. Arguing about a CMC 201HR map though is pointless lol

Hush it's snow

Maybe the Euro is too slow...the other models have that thing along the coast at the time. Maybe the slower time allows the high to run out ahead of it. At least I hope/wish that's true.

Slow is bad. With nothing to lock in the hp it's going to slide as the storm approaches.

If we don't get any frontrunning love we're back to hanging our hat on a complicated temp situation. It's not a pattern supportive of a cold coastal. Cold will retreat as precip moves in. We'll prob get frozen out of this setup but it can easily be the wrong kind. Front end thump is where it's at. Hope for fast

Well, this is what I see...Not like it matters anyway, just saying IT IS above freezing at the surface. 

Dark Blue line is the freezing line

attachicon.gifcmc2.png

It shows most of the snowfall in the burbs as it is too warm for I-95. Though it does look cold enough at 850, so I guess it would snow. Arguing about a CMC 201HR map though is pointless lol

That's snow at my house....

Ensemble mean for leesburg Va through 240 is 6 inches. 4 inches for DCA

Verbatim on the means it looks like snow to sleet to zr to rain. I always compare temp panels to raw snow output. Raw snow output is flawed like a mofo on wxbell. 

The negative part of the run is the frontrunning part is south. we don't get into good precip on the means until 168-174 (first panel to show precip in our area on the means is 144 though). We're too far out to worry about anything that specific at this point though. I expect a mixed event. 

Looking beyond the 12th, signs are pointing to an overall better odds period for winter weather. All global guidance is converging on a -AO period coming up from the 12th - 19th+/-. There are hints of -nao as well but long lead nao stuff is too volatile to discuss. There is also a brief +pna spike during the same timeframe emerging on ensemble guidance. 

Here's the latest gefs ao guidance. The euro and eps are similar.

post-2035-0-53615500-1391702250_thumb.jp

We've experienced 3 -AO dips since the beginning of Jan. The first 2 produced regionwide snows. The 3rd we whiffed to the big se snow/ice storm. There are still flaws in the upcoming pattern. The goa vortex is strong and it appears progressive in the 50/50 region for now. If past history and repetitive patterns continue, we will likely have a shot at another event from the 12th - 19th. Big event is doubtful but we'll see if this look continues as we get closer in time. 

GFS so far at 111hrs had a weaker shortwave coming from out west. We'll see if it'll eventually phase. 

phasing this year has been a lost cause...all of the snow events, even up in the northeast, have been from waves along the thermal boundary.  As we head later into the year, and IF blocking sets up, perhaps something might phase but I wouldn't bet much money on it.  Even the -NAO showing up in the means is not a true block...it will help of course but it seems progressive is the way to go this year.  We have seen the models try to phase things over and over again only to realize once the event approaches that the pieces are not going to come together.  Our better bet would be to get a nice juiced STJ driven system that can produce without the northern stream while there is some confluence but not so much to suppress it south.

Again the northern stream and southern stream features are misaligned on the 12z GFS.  The high is out in front acting to suppress the stj system.   So it either has to wait and then cut once the high is to the east...or the system is squashed.  There is that darn lakes low showing up again diving in too far west to phase and even if it did...(not likely) it would pull everything into the ohio valley.  On the positive side all guidance agrees there will be a gulf low hanging around with cold available next week... the other details are likely to change a lot between now and then but the two most critical parts are at least there. 

Archived