Newest Member
    CHSVol
February Medium/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugly shift in Canada on new GFS with western Canada and NAO-light. :(

unfortunately for us, the operational models have extremely limited skill outside 72 hours when there is a meaningful northern stream, and have a HUGE bias toward giving us snow and then taking it away...which is what has made our lives so frustrating the last few winters..for every time a solution trends in our favor as we get inside 3 days, there are a 1000 times it trends against us...

unfortunately for us, the operational models have extremely limited skill outside 72 hours when there is a meaningful northern stream, and have a HUGE bias toward giving us snow and then taking it away...which is what has made our lives so frustrating the last few winters..for every time a solution trends in our favor as we get inside 3 days, there are a 1000 times it trends against us...

We'll see how ensemble mean trends look with this pv that gets displaced from actual north pole. Today, GFS says it drops into Hudson Bay! Ugh...it ruins the hybrid west NAO. So, huge changes...

We'll see how ensemble mean trends look with this pv that gets displaced from actual north pole. Today, GFS says it drops into Hudson Bay! Ugh...it ruins the hybrid west NAO. So, huge changes...

outside of a Nino it is hard to snow in DC metro......for whatever reason, we almost never have a scenario where models trend toward snow..always the opposite

outside of a Nino it is hard to snow in DC metro......for whatever reason, we almost never have a scenario where models trend toward snow..always the opposite

But stepping back to NH picture...if this PV is going to do this, expect massive model shifts to warm next week.

After your data and that article Ian posted, I believe you guys with snow in dc, especially lower end events. It is terrible how the climate shifted in that regard.

and it will fail miserably with the mid week event and probably the Monday event...Hopefully it shows a warm, ineffectual southeast solution for Wednesday since we that solution is an inevitable lock

maybe the euro can be the euro once this season

So, checklist so far this month:

Monday event, Feb. 3:  looked promising, 33 and rain

Wednesday event, Feb. 5:  rain and 40, but at least some interesting ice to start

Unicorn event Feb. 8-10:  fizzled with no phasing, maybe we'll score an inch or two

Mid-week event next week, Feb. 12-13:  looking meh, maybe even borderline too warm?

Next on the list of futility:  Pee-Dee-Three?  (c'mon, you know we'll get sucked in!)

OK, I'm being very sarcastic here.  My expecations weren't outrageous with thinking we'd get a KU storm or something.  But I sure thought it looked good for scoring a decent event or two during the first 20 days of this month, maybe something similar to Jan. 21 area-wide at some point.  We still could, however even holding expectations in check somewhat, it sure seems like opportunities lost.

nope..the models are terrible outside 72 hours and are not meant to be used how we use them...models are completely incongruous with how much snow DC gets and how much they forecast....

this has been my complaint starting with the winter of 72/73 when BWI had at least 20" modeled w/in 24 hrs and ended up with 1.2" for the entire winter

I know the models were relatively new back then, but they haven't improved with "specific" forecasts for our area that much with sensible weather....fook 500mb maps

Lol, definitely. Outside of this past Monday, it hasn't been the best with details for east coast storms.

it did fine with the Wednesday storm that slammed NE beginning 5 days out

that is what really irks me....it's a lot closer to being right in NE when it shows a storm 5 days or less than when it shows a storm for us 5 days or less, I can guarantee that much

The GFS did advertise a couple of warm signals that didn't pan out this winter, including GEFS. So, let's see how rest of data looks before diagnosing this as any real shift.

there wasnt really anything in the ensembles that showed next week would be warm. I guess, as always we wait till 12:45pm lol

this has been my complaint starting with the winter of 72/73 when BWI had at least 20" modeled w/in 24 hrs and ended up with 1.2" for the entire winter

I know the models were relatively new back then, but they haven't improved with "specific" forecasts for our area that much with sensible weather....fook 500mb maps

Actaully, they have improved quite a bit since then.  I've posted the stats before so I won't again.  However,  in some patterns there is little precitability.  Fast flow with lots of shortwaves is really tough on the models.   Put in a block and they are much better.  Right now, they are about as bad as they can be because of the pattern.  Those who look for deterministic forecasts especially beyond a couple of days are fooling themselves. 

But stepping back to NH picture...if this PV is going to do this, expect massive model shifts to warm next week.

After your data and that article Ian posted, I believe you guys with snow in dc, especially lower end events. It is terrible how the climate shifted in that regard.

warm sounds reasonable...a number of analogs had 50's and 60's

Archived