CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
February Medium/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Monday is interesting because the precip runs a strong cold front. There's been a lot of that this year up and down the coast. 

Euro was close last night to something kinda nice. 

Other than the 1/21 event basically all of my snow this season has come from vorts running up a front. Definitely seems to be the theme this year.

It's mostly our own fault...for treating 144 hour solutions with as much credence as 60 hour solutions...there is no instruction manual for these things

No doubt . The rational part of me knows it's a nice guide to a range of possibilities and that's all it is, then snow insane part of me wonders why the GFS hates me . I work real hard to keep the snow insane part of me at bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get irrationally mad when the models do not deliver snow, like a crazy part of me thinks they control the weather.

Sent from my iPhone

Op models useful range varies with patterns. I try to remember this but it's hard. I've gotten much better this year with ensemble guidance this year over years past. 

In the current pattern, op runs drop to ensemble member accuracy pretty quick. And then add in large spread d4+ and it gets even more muddy. But we want it to snow and model runs showing snow are fun. It's hard not to hope. 

about 0.85 for DC...snow to mix....I wonder what the final solution will be...0.10" of rain with a mangled flake is my guess

It's a good run but I have no confidence. Euro is much faster than the gfs so it outruns the temp suck from the low cruising the n plains. Slow it down and we're literally cooked. 

Just once I'd like all of you to experience a high qpf sleet event.  Many years ago in Iowa we expected to get 18-24" of snow (unheard of for Iowa) instead we got 6" of sleet.  For the next several (below freezing days), it was like walking on a beach with very coarse grained sand.

Also, THE 1993 storm here, I was able to walk across the drifts without sinking in. Much of that was sleet too.

So ... a snow to sleet solution is fine with me

Just once I'd like all of you to experience a high qpf sleet event.  Many years ago in Iowa we expected to get 18-24" of snow (unheard of for Iowa) instead we got 6" of sleet.  For the next several (below freezing days), it was like walking on a beach with very coarse grained sand.

Also, THE 1993 storm here, I was able to walk across the drifts without sinking in. Much of that was sleet too.

So ... a snow to sleet solution is fine with me

we've gotten them..last was in 2007

Archived