• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/28-1/30 SE Winter Storm OBS

NavarreDon

Columbia/Owens is still reporting 0" precipitation today.  It is fascinating that even with winds out of the NE today temperatures held their own here in the Columbia area.  Even with more moisture to saturate the atmosphere I don't think temps would have dropped much below 30. I was really hoping for the day off tomorrow.  Its pure chaos in Atlanta right now, 2 inches of snow with temps in the low 20s created an absolute disaster on the roads over there.  Hopefully everybody gets home safe tonight in areas that have snow or ice. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There may be radar returns on the south side of ATL but I'll be damned if anything is coming down. What little is wont accumulate to anything more than we have. I am two miles almost due east of KFFC and its been steadily winding down for over an hour. Visibility is improving dramtaically.

For central NC peeps you can see on the radar the heavier returns setting up right along US-1 going right through RDU, I would think east of US1 looks great for 4"+ but does it build back west for people west of US1, I am right on US1 and it has picked up now, but this could very easily just slide east and be left with light snow, where I would only get 1-2" over the next 6-7 hours.

Brick are you east or west of US1? I know Allan is in Louisburg which is right on US1. 10 miles will be the different between 4"+ or less than 2".

I am right off US1 at the Wake and Franklin line.

Nice little event for you guys. It's tough to get good snow growth from these frontal wave events. I haven't looked at many time-hgt plots, but the one I saw for RDU had the max DGZ above the area of best lift. The end result is you get a powdery snow, but not necessarily great ratios. Enjoy the pow though.

This is such an insanely dry snow. I've only seen snow like this maybe once here(January 2011).

I know what you mean, we went out in it this afternoon and it was incredibly dry and powdery.  I'm not the Georgia statistician or anything, but I can't remember the last time we had a (somewhat) major snow around Atlanta with temps at 21 to 24 degrees.  It's usually in the lower 30's and maybe down into the upper 20's.  On that note, the local news here is unreal.  All the interstates are a total disaster.  I'm afraid some of the people out there could possibly be stuck all night.  Temps are already close to dropping into the teens!

Not sure if the RAP is correct but it appears to have light snow over me out to 10 hours. There is going to be big cut offs for people who get snow. 

Check out the radar...there's a big cutoff just to your (and my west) but the line really isn't moving east now.....biggest flakes of the night, as modeled. Good lift with the interaction with the trough to our west....

Check out the radar...there's a big cutoff just to your (and my west) but the line really isn't moving east now.....biggest flakes of the night, as modeled. Good lift with the interaction with the trough to our west....

Yep I have a feeling I'll be on the wrong side but pretty crazy non the less considering where we were 24 hours ago. 

A jebwalk is just a walk in the snow. It was made famous by jebman. A long time poster from the MA region.

See here jebman description 

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/42406-late-january-early-february-pattern-discussion/?p=2682196

Great!  Thanks for the explanation.   Now that the kids are in bed, I may have to do the same.  His walk sounded awesome!

Still nothing but ice here in Washington...are we going to get any snow?

Yes, but the IP is going to cut down on accumulations, maybe by alot.  This is my rough thinking based on the way radar is shaping up, and taking into account what is downstream over GA.  Duplin, Bladen, Robinson, maybe Sampson is a tough call, but most areas north of there bounded by the red lines look good for 4-6", purple hatch is the best chance for 8-10".  This could be a little conservative for NE NC / SE VA, I still think we have a shot at 8" here at PGV, radar looks very good and several simulated mesoscale models indicate after this first wave, the main bulk of QPF comes through between midnight and 10am, which should be all SN with pretty good ratios.  Still mostly to all IP here, type has changed, no longer columns, they look like plates which is a step in the right direction.

post-382-0-36408700-1390956634_thumb.jpg

Nice little event for you guys. It's tough to get good snow growth from these frontal wave events. I haven't looked at many time-hgt plots, but the one I saw for RDU had the max DGZ above the area of best lift. The end result is you get a powdery snow, but not necessarily great ratios. Enjoy the pow though.

Yeah, it's unfortunate this isn't a deepening low pressure system that resembles the typical comma. I'm shocked my flakes weren't that large. I guess I prefer the big fluffy snowflakes instead.

Light snow still coming down quite steadily here in west Athens; temp at 28. Streets are slick and getting more dangerous by the minute...but at least we're better off than Atlanta.

I've got channel 2 on right now, apparently it's quite the disaster on all the major interstates down there right now.  There may be people stuck for hours.  It's not a good situation if anyone is running low on gas.

What about that line of snow just now moving into the mountains out tn. You think it holds together coming off the mountains?

Definitely looks like best lift/radar coverage is goiing to be from Wake County eastward in the Triangle, particularly US-1. Shouldnt be too surprised most guidance, except some RAP runs today, have constantly shoed that the case. Thinking I (Youngsville down to Wake Forest to RDU airport)are more in line for 2-4 inches. With eastern half of Wake County, more like 4-7.

Archived