• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 2014 Pattern Discussion Part II

Typhoon Tip

There was a pretty big inversion with the low level cold tuck. The max snow growth zone doesn't change...it's always -12C to -18C. If the entire column is -20C to -25C the ratios will be NBD. Actual diamond dust (IC) is like accumulating sawdust.

entire column -20c? But diamond dust in perfectly clear sky is about the coolest thing ever

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a pretty big inversion with the low level cold tuck. The max snow growth zone doesn't change...it's always -12C to -18C. If the entire column is -20C to -25C the ratios will be NBD. Actual diamond dust (IC) is like accumulating sawdust.

Kind of related to the saying "too cold to snow." It's not too cold to snow, it's just that it's too cold for dendrites and appreciable accumulation.

Except the euro ensembles definitely turn milder too as we've mentioned for a couple of days. GEFS are cooler so there is that, but can't ignore that signal.

Everyone keeps thinking this "next" cold snap is the coming of Leon and the beginning of wall to wall winter. I think you'd agree it's still going to fluctuate quite a bit.

Everyone keeps thinking this "next" cold snap is the coming of Leon and the beginning of wall to wall winter. I think you'd agree it's still going to fluctuate quite a bit.

It will oscillate and I think the mildest weather is for the srn tier of the US as the PNA drops. Also, I think it will cool off again afterwards. The 11-15 forecasts lately have been shaky at best.

It will oscillate and I think the mildest weather is for the srn tier of the US as the PNA drops. Also, I think it will cool off again afterwards. The 11-15 forecasts lately have been shaky at best.

Agreed and let's face it when it's cold it's so cold we are all probably better off that we are getting interludes of warmth.

I'm actually kind of enjoying the pattern. Reminiscent of waiting for the eye to pass in a cane we got hit with act one...got a nice reprieve and here comes act two. Without the reprieves this type of cold would be a serious problem for people and the economy.

Agreed and let's face it when it's cold it's so cold we are all probably better off that we are getting interludes of warmth.

I'm actually kind of enjoying the pattern. Reminiscent of waiting for the eye to pass in a cane we got hit with act one...got a nice reprieve and here comes act two. Without the reprieves this type of cold would be a serious problem for people and the economy.

Some good ole cold and dry, then a cutter then a reload . Im gonna try to 6 rainers in january and like -4 departures on the month.

That would actually be pretty funny--all the talk of super cold/farmer's almanac blizzard/moving the game etc...and then verification is 45 and light rain or something like that....what a joke.

Bare muddy ground and the seed catalog arrived this week.  Had my first recognition that 'hey it's brighter' in both morning and night.

A bad combination when thoughts turn to building the pool patio.  Only about 12 more weeks of steady burning.

Man there are some really really bad posts we've been reading this morning. lol What is wrong with people?

IDK, I guess some people thought we would stay -20 850s for the rest of winter? The so called relaxation is still -8 ish, its balls winter as far as the eye can see with increasing amounts of snow chances, what the hell Pickles is talking about is very odd. I really wish he would look at some models before making a post.

Bare muddy ground and the seed catalog arrived this week.  Had my first recognition that 'hey it's brighter' in both morning and night.

A bad combination when thoughts turn to building the pool patio.  Only about 12 more weeks of steady burning.

yeah, me too-mainly at night though, it's still twilight after 5pm a good half hour difference since mid December.

IDK, I guess some people thought we would stay -20 850s for the rest of winter? The so called relaxation is still -8 ish, its balls winter as far as the eye can see with increasing amounts of snow chances, what the hell Pickles is talking about is very odd. I really wish he would look at some models before making a post.

I don't know if a few of those posters thought a relaxation meant rain and warmth or not..Maybe they did..but a relaxation simply means going from much much below normal to below to near normal for a few days..And with that comes even more chances of snow/ice. Maybe they didn't notice the 6z GFS continues the cold unabated since they bought the 00z

Archived