• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2014 Pattern Discussion Part II

Typhoon Tip

Damn, ...did you guys see some of those GFS members for the extended?   Caution, you may need to reach for an oxygen mask.  I mean, it's obviously way out in la-la time frames, but ...I think it actually does hearken to the back-ground, large scale potentiality of what is in store. 

Get a load of P005 (168 hrs) aloft, together with its omg-omg surface solution:

post-904-0-68783700-1389995051_thumb.jpg

...which, not to come off as a big hot dog but, while the D7 time range is bad for deterministic weather forecast, it is not the worst ranges, either; particularly when it has multiple members that do have an impulse in the flow in that same spatial-temporality, as does the 12z operational Euro.. In fact, the evolution of the member above that leads to that insane solution is really just a 12z, 1/17 Euroesque solution on steroids... I wouldn't have bothered to write this paragraph if there wasn't already some Jan 23rd presidence established, but merely lost. 

Here is a later history making, mass migration as though leaving Egypt to evade Meteorologically prodigious persecution:

post-904-0-09135700-1389995065_thumb.jpg

That pig took 2.5 days to complete its denudation of New England from off the face of the Planet.... Probably a 50"er.  

I was discussing this with a Met friend last night how this season so far, while impressive, has really under-performed substantially relative to the potential that has been there (speaking in terms of large event production/frequency).  Cold has over-performed but for now, let's not disconnect the two characterizations of winter. Speaking in terms of just winter storms, we have had a few, and some better than other; but, drilling -5 SD air masses on such large scales into the 40th parallel as frequently as we have, when you have the World's 3rd most powerful warm conveyor of sea-modified air lurking now more than 200 naut. miles E of the EC, and we have this to show for it,  is definitely an underachievement relative to talent (so to speak).  It's like having an NFL team that has the most talented team on paper in the history of the league, yet they only put up a .500 record and get bounced from the Playoffs.  ...He agreed.  

Still, winter is only half over.  What I am looking at is a pattern of greatest potential I've pretty much ever seen.  3 waves of cold possibly nearing extreme slated to swath from the NP, through the GL-OV-NE regions, while there is this latency for warm ridging along the Gulf Coast to supply latent energy to any impulse equal to the task.  

Caveats to this arrangement of events is that it will produce an unusually large amount of ambient gradient.  As we have hammered in the past ... too much gradient can drown storms in honey before we ever get a taste.  But, these panels above have more than enough impulse-centric power to differentiate amid that gradient, and determinism aside .. they do the deed.  

That all covers the activity part... The teleconnectors are AWEsome right now - seriously.  The EPO goes negative in a less than typically correlated +PNA, a temporal overlap that spans some 7 days.  That is a long, long time to be in the cross-hairs of a cold rifle to expect not to have to dodge some bullets.  Already, the operational runs (pick a cycle) are flagging -30F, 850mb plumes of air settling into southern/SE Canada and adjacent U.S. zones in the late middle and extended ranges.  Other news organizations are headlining already. Time magazine put up an article that featured Wes, from Capital Gang (smart guy; remember him from Eastern way back in the day).  Anyway, I think the incredible gradient of this winter has protected us from specific events more than less, do to the inherent deconstructive wave interference that results ... but that's playing with fire, too.  Cold seems high confidence;  a big storm deal or two may be less, but certainly not zero!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tip I know you miss stuff but Wes Junker is "Used to Be"here, writes for the Capitol Gang and is perhaps the Godfather of QPF. I swear you live under a rock. Great analysis though just hard to read.

Just focus on the maps; text is a dead language.

There has been a definite signal for storminess around 1/25 on the Euro ensembles too.

Any onf of these "threats" though can probably have a 36 hour wiggle room. The flow is fast BUT highly amplified...and smaller shortwaves will be troublesome for the model resolve at this time range. Heck, we have the 1/23 deal back on the table as a clipper/redeveloper/mini-Miller B from a shortwave behind the original one that the OP Euro progged two to three days ago. It's an example of how quickly the morphology can change in these fast, high amplitude regimes.

When do we open the curtains and turn off the bonnie tyler? 1/23?

Well you might be doing that tomorrow morning.

But the torch is over, and the next threat is 1/23....a tedious one, but there. I think after that it becomes more active. There will be some brutally cold temps mixed in there as well.

Tip I know you miss stuff but Wes Junker is "Used to Be"here, writes for the Capitol Gang and is perhaps the Godfather of QPF. I swear you live under a rock. Great analysis though just hard to read.

Yeah, I know who he is. Didn't know that about his NCEP work though - cool

Sorry about the 'tough to read'  ; it's because I mixed tongue-in-cheek humor with the science of matters.  That can be confusing if one isn't expecting that.  

I corrected that to "Gang", from News... 

There has been a definite signal for storminess around 1/25 on the Euro ensembles too.

Any onf of these "threats" though can probably have a 36 hour wiggle room. The flow is fast BUT highly amplified...and smaller shortwaves will be troublesome for the model resolve at this time range. Heck, we have the 1/23 deal back on the table as a clipper/redeveloper/mini-Miller B from a shortwave behind the original one that the OP Euro progged two to three days ago. It's an example of how quickly the morphology can change in these fast, high amplitude regimes.

Exactly, good paraphrasing ... it hearkens to not focusing on any specific member, but to just focus on an era of potential .. .like, seriously off the f charts.  If we got through the next 15 days without something would have to be very rare, relative to indicators. 

Don't laugh, but we've added the JMA and CFS here. Pretty brutal week 2 anomalies.

image.jpg

The cold is going to out-weigh any snow in terms of remembering this pattern I think...sure a rogue blizz could pop up, but the likely scenario of lighter snow events amid -10 to -20 departures for 10-14 days will be what this is known for. High confidence forecast in extreme cold.

Highs next week are already below zero up here.

The cold is going to out-weigh any snow in terms of remembering this pattern I think...sure a rogue blizz could pop up, but the likely scenario of lighter snow events amid -10 to -20 departures for 10-14 days will be what this is known for. High confidence forecast in extreme cold.

Highs next week are already below zero up here.

what will ratios be with 484 heights, -28 850s and..14 qpf, sgz will be about 100 feet. Diamond dust special

NE mass OES at zero was 15/20-1, pure fluff, guess it depends

There was a pretty big inversion with the low level cold tuck. The max snow growth zone doesn't change...it's always -12C to -18C. If the entire column is -20C to -25C the ratios will be NBD. Actual diamond dust (IC) is like accumulating sawdust.

Archived