12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Late January - Early February Pattern Discussion

Bob Chill

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same look on GEFS for wed-thurs. The hits all have organized lp off the coast. Looks like 2 ok hits and another 3-4 close calls. Best case imo is getting lucky with a deep lp circulation in the SE and getting grazed. Odds of accum snow are prob 25% at best for the cities. SE of us much better obviously.

Definitely signal on d10-11 on the gefs. Mixed bag of solutions but enough look pretty good. The rain/snow boundary and height patterns in general are so far from resolved that it doesn't matter much at this lead. A lot of members showing a decent storm. Haven't seen a tight cluster like that at long leads all season.

Weekend still has some ok looks. Weaker wave gives us a shot as snow. More organized wave gives us rain. Odds would prob favor rain for us city dwellers. Could be fun to track.

GEFS has definitely switched to a cold stormy look through the end of the run. Almost unanimous that it will be cold enough for snow. This could get real interesting. Feb is looking good.

I haven't looked at the ensembles yet, but the 12Z op GFS sure looked pretty cold and stormy in the longer range too.  And of course the storm it's advertising around day 10 or so.  I'm sure that will change 100s of times, but it's an indication of what could happen in a good scenario.  There seems to be a lot of high pressure around and the southern stream looks to become active.  It can be tricky, of course, but definitely interesting and looking at what the GFS has been showing, I think we have reason to be optimistic.

I haven't looked at the ensembles yet, but the 12Z op GFS sure looked pretty cold and stormy in the longer range too. And of course the storm it's advertising around day 10 or so. I'm sure that will change 100s of times, but it's an indication of what could happen in a good scenario. There seems to be a lot of high pressure around and the southern stream looks to become active. It can be tricky, of course, but definitely interesting and looking at what the GFS has been showing, I think we have reason to be optimistic.

Ensemble run is outstanding d11-15. -AO and hints of a west based -nao. Best look all year. It's a weenie run for the MA.

There does seem to have been a northward trend for most systems this winter which the models are also hinting at for next week. A lot can still change this many days away. The 12Z Euro still looks slightly more north at 9Z on Wednesday with the northern snow axis just into extreme southeast Virginia versus just south of the VA/NC border from the 0Z run. What's against us I believe is the modeled track seems to ride right along the Gulf Stream and out to sea. http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/sst/GulfStream_compare.shtml

GScomp_NCOMHR.png

Euro moving towards a significant storm for someone on Mon-tues after the superbowl. Right now we are on the losing side. PA gets destroyed. Slight change in hp to the N puts us in the game. I like it

he!! of a long way to go before we get there and the Euro has been more wound up in the long range than usual this year so I'm with you on that

day 10 Euro puts a deep trough over Japan with another to follow

the east coast trough will return folks....I've been watching it all winter and except for a recent ridge which makes sense considering our wx, this has tele-connected very well this year

http://www.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts/d/charts/medium/deterministic/msl_uv850_z500!Geopotential%20500%20hPa%20and%20Temperature%20at%20850%20hPa!240!Asia!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2014012612!!/

day 10 Euro puts a deep trough over Japan with another to follow

the east coast trough will return folks....I've been watching it all winter and except for a recent ridge which makes sense considering our wx, this has tele-connected very well this year

http://www.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts/d/charts/medium/deterministic/msl_uv850_z500!Geopotential%20500%20hPa%20and%20Temperature%20at%20850%20hPa!240!Asia!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2014012612!!/

Gefs starts lowering heights again  over the east coast post day 10. I'll believe it when I see it closer to day 7.

These panels are pretty nice from 12z gefs. 

D12

post-2035-0-71574000-1390765708_thumb.jp

D16

post-2035-0-60563800-1390765725_thumb.jp

Heights are building into the western nao region through the end of the run. Good looks before d12 as well. Just wanted to point out where the gefs thinks were going. The look has been similar but improving through the last 4 GEFS runs. 

looking at the Euro on Wunderground, it looks like the overrunning pattern we all envisioned over us and not the OBX

not an inch for us on Euro through 240 but it will change. EUro long range loves to amplify the SE ridge and Western trough

The signal for Feb 3rd-6th is damn impressive. Don't worry about details yet, I'd almost risk my account (at the enjoyment of others) that there will be large storm at this timeframe, whether it is snow, ice, rain or all 3 is obviously yet TBD

yep, and Orh Wxman said it got even colder for them than the last run of EPS....colder for them I would gues would mean colder for us (not enough, I'm sure, but we're far enough away that every bit of cooling can still make a diff in the end)

yep, and Orh Wxman said it got even colder for them than the last run of EPS....colder for them I would gues would mean colder for us (not enough, I'm sure, but we're far enough away that every bit of cooling can still make a diff in the end)

D8-10 is a good precip signal on the EPS means but temps are warm on the means also. 850's above freezing. Long ways to go. Overall, GEFS is much cooler in the d8-15 range. Much has to happen first so no worries.

Like Ji said, it's a byproduct of se ridging right up the coast. EPS may be right  or wrong. Who knows. 

Archived