12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Late January - Early February Pattern Discussion

Bob Chill

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gfs ggem and ecmwf all warm the mid Atlantic dramatically and say rain in the 6-10 day period. I don't buy it 100% yet but it has shaken my belief in how the pattern would evolve. However both the euro ensemble and gefs bring the cold back in the 10-15 day. Perhaps we end up where we want but have to take a different route to get there.

I recall Matt mentioning to Wes the other day how surprisingly half of the supercomputer analogs showed dates that were followed by warm ups....I guess it was onto something (with the caveat that it hasn't happened yet)

I recall Matt mentioning to Wes the other day how surprisingly half of the supercomputer analogs showed dates that were followed by warm ups....I guess it was onto something (with the caveat that it hasn't happened yet)

Yea in the last 3 days the analogs went from pretty good to awful. Yesterday's none were particularly good for snow and most weren't even that cold anymore.

Mid week is still in play. Globals should finally start to agree on "something" by the end of the weekend

Need the h5 trough to dig further west and separate a peice from the pv like the nam and sref show. That also forces the high to drop further west. Nothing's happening if the high is in eastern Tennessee.

I think the nam is focused on the wrong vort though. There are two waves and I think it's the second that has more potential but keeping the front closer like that and digging the trough further west is a good sign either way

And at least it diverts our attention from the 800 lb elephant in the room being the SE ridge the models are advertising for later on

And at least it diverts our attention from the 800 lb elephant in the room being the SE ridge the models are advertising for later on

Well everyone is so busy crying over the op runs they didn't notice the 6z gefs is actually great in the long range. The eps isn't bad either. Check out hr 277 on gefs. Who cares what an op run shows at 200 hours. This battle is far from lost.

Well everyone is so busy crying over the op runs they didn't notice the 6z gefs is actually great in the long range. The eps isn't bad either. Check out hr 277 on gefs. Who cares what an op run shows at 200 hours. This battle is far from lost.

Agree. If by some chance the NAM is on to something for Wed and this thing moves NW it will prove it...if I were in S PA or N MD I would be more optimistic though...Westminister MD is the where I need to move

I'm not worried at all. All this se ridge talk sounds much worse than reality. The se ridge is nothing more than return flow from a deep arctic airmass because the high slides off the coast. Big deal. It's highly unlikely to be a stable feature considering high latitude height pattern and another monster -epo. It's nothing more than a transient part of the pattern and it was expected. And we will prob get some rain in the next 10 days. Hardly unusual.

Ensemble guidance looks fine for future snow chances. Could be a fun feb.

I'm proud of this board...in years past, the 84 hour NAM would have blown this thread up.

Anyway, back to reality....I'm with Bob Chill...there's still some hope for midweek, but I need to see something...anything by Monday at least.  

Well, this morning's GFS wasn't what you were looking for....it really has a bad look for the wed non  event. 

I'm starting to wish I had gone with normal or even above normal for the 1st week of Feb instead of normal to slightly below.   Last night's operational Euro was really warm which fit some of the analogs from yesterday while others were cold.   The ens mean temps on day 9 and 10 are quite a big colder than the Euro operational which is an outlier but the pattern does favor lows going to our north more than to our south. 

I'm starting to wish I had gone with normal or even above normal for the 1st week of Feb instead of normal to slightly below. Last night's operational Euro was really warm which fit some of the analogs from yesterday while others were cold. The ens mean temps on day 9 and 10 are quite a big colder than the Euro operational which is an outlier but the pattern does favor lows going to our north more than to our south.

It's a tough call either way. A warm spell was all but guaranteed first 10 days of the month. Current progs bring it quicker now. I'm not sure the clues were strong enough when you wrote the article. It can easily get pushed back as well.

Archived