• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Late January - Early February Pattern Discussion

Bob Chill

D8-10 is a good precip signal on the EPS means but temps are warm on the means also. 850's above freezing. Long ways to go. Overall, GEFS is much cooler in the d8-15 range. Much has to happen first so no worries.

Like Ji said, it's a byproduct of se ridging right up the coast. EPS may be right  or wrong. Who knows. 

yeah, like Goldie Hawn, Euro has had better days than this year

post-821-0-11374200-1390771583_thumb.jpg

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

seriously? then whats the point of discussing this? getting there by the wrong solution is just as good in my mind as not getting there at all... have to give it credit for the better phase but thats all you can give it credit for. Last storm, it actually got the synoptic pattern right... this one has some physics no-no's in the verbatim model solution.

ETA: Honestly I feel like the NAM is catching on pretty well... its gradually moving toward less stream separation and better timing. I feel like so many people these days don't look at h5 or h3 anymore and just focus on the sfc when trying to forecast, other than looking at h5 to say thats a nice vort, good position etc etc. Shortwave orientation, stream positioning, conservation of vorticity all matter as to the evolution of these systems. This so called "north trend" we are seeing this year is due to the fact models are not progressive enough with features and when it works out in our favor it is often due to timing, trough positioning and jet orientation.

I am focussed on this period, because a more progressive solution actually lines up in our favor for a change, but right now the timing is off... still not off enough to be concerned. People will be shocked if this thing changes at the surface because it will be a drastic change, even though the change at h5 and h3 has been gradual.

How much QPF on the CRAS?

Mount Holly AFD...highlights the uncertainty for next weekend-

AT THIS TIME WE`RE NOT SURE OF ANYTHING FOR NEXT WEEKEND
IN OUR AREA BUT THERE ARE ENOUGH MULTI MODEL INDICATIONS TO
WARRANT A CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION,. THE TIGHT TEMPERATURE
GRADIENT OVER OUR AREA CAN MEAN ANY PTYPE. FOR NOW WE RAN WITH THE
COLDER GFS PARTIAL THICKNESSES...LESSENING THE HOURLY FREQUENCY
THAT FREEZING RAIN IS MENTIONED IN THE GRIDS.

UNCERTAINTY IS LARGE FOR NEXT WEEKEND AND FORECAST CONFIDENCE FOR
THE DETAILS PRESENTED IN THE 330 PM FORECAST IS BELOW AVERAGE.

GFS keeps inching its way north. 18Z was a pretty good move north. I know those snow clown maps are a bad forecasting tool, but the differences between 12Z and 18Z for SE VA are fairly substantial. 18Z looks like it gets accumulating snow as far north as Cambridge on the eastern shore. Again, I know the clown maps are not reliable. 

Archived