12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Late January - Early February Pattern Discussion

Bob Chill

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know it's not apples to apples time-wise, but compare the 48 hr. RGEM at 12Z to the 48 hr. 18Z RGEM

definitely more interesting down south wrt moisture at 700mb and the trough looks a bit better too

note the renegade streak of moisture as well on the 18Z run straight up the Apps.....hmmm

12Z is on top

12_054_R1_north@america_I_4PAN_CLASSIC@0

18_054_R1_north@america_I_4PAN_CLASSIC@0

I'm a numbers guy. The cras is the equivalent to doing a quick pick mega millions. It hit once so we have to wait at least another 125 million runs before odds start tipping. I'm out. But I might be in. 

but the thing about the CRAS is, it was such a hit for us Bob (more to go after the final panel at 84 hrs.,) that if it was off by 50 miles, we'd still get 4" with ratios I'd bet

iow, it doesn't have to be completely right, just close

I'm a numbers guy. The cras is the equivalent to doing a quick pick mega millions. It hit once so we have to wait at least another 125 million runs before odds start tipping. I'm out. But I might be in. 

Maybe this is its pattern.  :whistle:

These panels are pretty nice from 12z gefs. 

D12

attachicon.gif12z gefs h5 d12.JPG

D16

attachicon.gif12z gefs h5 d16.JPG

Heights are building into the western nao region through the end of the run. Good looks before d12 as well. Just wanted to point out where the gefs thinks were going. The look has been similar but improving through the last 4 GEFS runs. 

Those are REALLY nice looks.

but the thing about the CRAS is, it was such a hit for us Bob (more to go after the final panel at 84 hrs.,) that if it was off by 50 miles, we'd still get 4" with ratios I'd bet

iow, it doesn't have to be completely right, just close

C'mon mitch. It's the cras. That thing runs on floppies and intel 4004's. 

I've been a casual observer of this storm mostly for the novelty of the historic hit it would be down south. 18z phased it and it still grazes us. We would need the lp to go even more nuts and ride even closer to the coast. I'm not saying it's impossible but I've never been all that enthused for our chances so I'll remain that way until it's snowing. 

I can't even remember the cras' once in a lifetime coup. What storm was that again?

I'm not sure. I think someone made that up anyway. It was funny to see all the CRAS talk though. Who knows.

But realistically, can someone explain the mechanism that could pull this north into us?

Wishcasting is a powerful force.....

ETA:

A full phase of the southern vort and earlier slp and 850 lp development. If it can get cranking early and deepen quickly it can help the entire complex stay closer to the coast and be more expansive. 

Going along with the believable scenarios, 18Z NAM gives Myrtle and Wilmington, NC 16-20" of snow. I hope those folks don't get too excited.

I haven't looked that closely but the GFS scenario just looking at it would seem like it's not all snow in those areas.

Archived