Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/17 - 1/18 Snow Threat

burgertime

GSP'S long term:

.LONG TERM /THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY/...
AS OF 220 PM EST MONDAY...THE EXTENDED RANGE STARTS WITH A HIGH
AMPLITUDE RIDGE OVER THE WEST COAST AND BRITISH COLUMBIA. WPC
COMMENTED THAT THEY FAVOR SLOWER AND HIGHER AMPLITUDE DOWNSTREAM
TROUGHING WITH THIS  PATTERN...THOUGH FOR THE MOST PART THEY
APPEAR TO HAVE GONE WITH A SERIES OF ENSEMBLE BLENDS FOR THE
EXTENDED RANGE
. THE 12 UTC OPERATIONAL ECMWF IS NOW QUITE A BIT
SLOWER AND DEEPER THAN THE 12 UTC GFS WITH ENERGY DROPPING INTO THE
LONG WAVE FRIDAY AND FRIDAY NIGHT. AS A RESULT THE ECMWF BRINGS A
SHOT OF STRONG Q-VECTOR CONVERGENCE ACROSS THE FA...INDUCING SFC
CYCLOGENESIS OVER WRN NC FRIDAY EVENING. THIS IN TURN BRINGS PCPN
ACROSS MOST OF THE FA...ESPECIALLY THE NC ZONES. THE GFS IS SO MUCH
FARTHER EAST THAT MOST OF IT/S PCPN RESULTS FROM NW FLOW SNOW.
I/M
NOT GOING TO JUMP ON THE NEW ECMWF SOLUTION JUST YET CONSIDERING HOW
MUCH DRIER THE GFS IS. HOWEVER...THE ECMWF QPF WOULD IMPLY THE
POTENTIAL FOR SEVERAL INCHES OF SNOW OVER PARTS OF THE NC
MOUNTAINS...WITH LIGHTER AMOUNTS TO THE EAST LATE FRIDAY. I/LL ADD A
TAG FOR MODERATE SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OVER THE NC MTNS TO THE HWO FOR
FRIDAY TO ACCOUNT FOR THIS.

18z not going to get it done but it did take a step west vs. 12z so maybe that's a baby step. 00z Euro should be telling tonight. Does it double down or back off? 

I bet it doubles down. It was the only model last week calling for rain tonight and it wasn't until 36 hours ago that NAM and GFS bowed to it.

Sent from my steam-powered printing press.

NWS ILM Says..

Short term /Wednesday through Thursday night/...
as of 3 am Tuesday...the main forecast issue will be the possibility of
light rain or a little light snow late Wednesday into Thursday
morning.

A deep and sharp trough will develop and move south through the day
Wednesday from the Midwest to the grand strand by Thursday morning.
The GFS has been inconsistent in quantitative precipitation forecast development with this feature
while the NAM is more bullish as is the European model (ecmwf). Cold air advection
will be coincident with this feature although thermal profiles/data
are sending mixed messages. The soundings look colder while the
numerical guidance is showing a well mixed boundary layer keeping
surface temperatures above freezing. We have seen a couple of
similar systems the past few years one as recent as this November.
With the mixed signals...prudence calls for leaving a little light
snow in the grids while emphasizing it will be a nuisance event. For
Wednesday...guidance has taken an emphatic turn toward warmer
readings and we could eclipse 60 degrees again in some areas. As for
Thursday cold air advection will keep highs mainly in the 40s.

GFS is wetter than it's previous run but still not going to get the job done. If it digs just a little more it should work out for someone in the NC area...probably around I-40 maybe a little south of that. We'll need to watch the trends given the current changes models are showing just for tomorrow into Thursday. 

GFS is wetter than it's previous run but still not going to get the job done. If it digs just a little more it should work out for someone in the NC area...probably around I-40 maybe a little south of that. We'll need to watch the trends given the current changes models are showing just for tomorrow into Thursday. 

With the flow as fast as it has been, imo the models won't really key onto anything until the first flizzard gets out of the way. Some runs it keys onto the first being stronger, then the second being stronger. Gotta love model madness....even for a flizzard   :lol:  

With the flow as fast as it has been, imo the models won't really key onto anything until the first flizzard gets out of the way. Some runs it keys onto the first being stronger, then the second being stronger. Gotta love model madness....even for a flizzard   :lol:

Yes this one keys in on a closed off vort that wasn't there to our north. Anything is possible this week. 

Yeah, the clipper that the GFS shows coming through Saturday Night/Early Sunday is of some interest to me...at that point in the game, the heights and temps are cold enough to support wintry precip on both the front and rear end of the storm. The key there is to see if the vort can dig far enough south. The 12z depiction showed a solid advisory level event from the lower Ohio Valley down into KY, Northern TN and Western VA.

You can see the track of the vort at 102 getting ready to enter extreme Southern Illinois...then by 114 it is crossing southeastward over the Apps.

gfs_z500_uv_vort_east_35.png

I think for the I-40 Cooridor you would rather see that vort crossing the Ozarks and into Memphis then sliding east...

0z NAM and GFS both have our clipper for Friday into Saturday. Again, the thing to remember in this instance that is that we may already have low enough heights and temps to where this could produce as much on the front end as compared to once the vort passes through the Upper Southeast and Southern Appalachians.

Fwiw, our local fox met put up their in house computer model for Friday a m, and it was solidly snow and a pretty sizeable batch of precip! Like normal, she said no accums expected, but will watch it closely?! Hard to get excited about clippers, but as the pattern gets progressively colder, one could pan out?

Archived