• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Central PA & The Fringes - January 2014

To get there from this building requires a) crossing three lanes of Front Street traffic on a Friday afternoon only to b ) walk through God-knows-what-and-how-deep of snow on the bank just to get to where the sidewalk relatively might be to get to the bridge. I might try it tomorrow when there are less people out and about.

Ah okay, that sounds like a smart idea then :)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

was looking at record lows for Harrisburg:

Wondering if the clear skies and calming winds tonight could let us approach the record for January 3rd before we hit midnight...

January 3 - 4F

January 4 - 3F

January 7 - 5F

January 8 - 0F

My bet is at least 2 of the 4 are broken but very much possible all 4 could fall... that would be incredible

Looking at a few other locations it will be tough for the northern and central locations to break any records tonight for the 3rd/4th but January 7th very possible... from what I can find State College has a record low of -1 dating back to 1893

was looking at record lows for Harrisburg:

Wondering if the clear skies and calming winds tonight could let us approach the record for January 3rd before we hit midnight...

January 3 - 4F

January 4 - 3F

January 7 - 5F

January 8 - 0F

My bet is at least 2 of the 4 are broken but very much possible all 4 could fall... that would be incredible

Looking at a few other locations it will be tough for the northern and central locations to break any records tonight for the 3rd/4th but January 7th very possible... from what I can find State College has a record low of -1 dating back to 1893

What year was that January 7? (My Birthday) i seem to think '93 or '96 on my Birthday was flat out brutal

I'm going to go pessimistic and say none of the records are broken.  In fact, I am skeptical the cities get below zero.  York (KTHV) might be the exception to the rule since they are in a weird mini-valley.  

Models would have to bust pretty badly to not break the records for the 7th or 8th there.  We are looking at -10° to -14° here Tuesday morning the 8th.

As for today's cold, currently at our high of 14° off a low of 3°.  If we can calm for a few hours before midnight I think we touch 0 or below in Bellefonte tonight.

To put the cold into perspective, the high in the 'burbs of Chicago Monday is -9. Sunday's NFL game at Green Bay starts at 4:30 and very likely will set the record for coldest game ever.

I sat thru the AFC championship game in Pittsburgh back in Jan 2011 with single digits at kickoff and a long walk back to the car after the game. I can't imagine what it's going to be like in Green Bay. The wind chill values in their warning are for 35-55 below zero Sunday night thru Tuesday morning... and thats with the newer equation for calculating wind chill too. 

Archived