Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Central PA & The Fringes - January 2014

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I measured 4.3" here melted down to .30" liquid... nearly a 15:1 ratio as was expected... had a low of 6 at the house... if skies can stay clear tonight I believe Harrisburg runs close to breaking 0 for first time in nearly 18 years!

I will use you measurement as i gave up once the wind started cranking.

I have been plowing/shoveling since 430 and let me say it was no fun with the wind, once i plowed we had to go back from the drifting.I had 8 degrees when i left the house this morning. First time in years my mustache was frozen and had ice sickles. Not sure of accuracy, but gauge here at work says 11 degrees now. The rock salt is hardly working either, parking lots are mostly ice.

so you picked your new house because of snowfall potential? Location, location, location!!!

oh and the pool, you have a pool. :snowing:

I'm pretty sure I have more snow at this new house so far then I have in all the other places I've lived combined since the 2009/2010 winter

[qu

ote name=sauss06" post="2610325" timestamp="1388760086]

i stand corrected, the Therm. says 9. ( it helps if i put my reading glasses on) :poster_oops:

Age has become a biatch, bro :)

I'm up to 11.4 on my daughter's weather station.

yeah, tell me about it. My Knees are screaming right now, i need a warm fire and a cold beer.

I'm pretty sure I have more snow at this new house so far then I have in all the other places I've lived combined since the 2009/2010 winter

Excellent for you! Are you at 20" yet?

Euro Weeklies:

Week 1 1/6-1/12, Week 2 1/13-1/19, Week 3 1/20-1/26, Week 4 1/27-2/2

PHL Temperature Anomalies
Week 1: -6
Week 2: +6
Week 3: +3
Week 4: +1

General NH H5 Anomaly Pattern
Week 1: ++EPO/-PNA/+NAO/-AO
Week 2: Split Flow WC/Ridge EC/+WPO
Week 3: SE Ridge/Trough over C US/Oddly shaped NPAC ridge
Week 4: +NAO/-EPO (where have I seen this before?)

I read that as a two-week mild spell then a return to the same ol' same ol'. One thing, I've seen instances of a good winter event stuck in the middle of a January warm spell, so hopefully this is one of those cases.

I have also read talk elsewhere of the possibility blocking developing in Feb. We've had a nice start to winter, be sort of a cherry on top if that happens. As Eskimo pointed out, a storm like this last one with blocking would be crazy.

I am still feeling ice potential for Sunday across eastern PA... I just dont see temps warming up quite enough today and tomorrow to make any kind of dent in the new snowpack...

looking at tail end of 12z NAM... has 850mb temps in the negative 25-30C range entering western PA with surface temperatures falling below 0 Monday evening...

Pittsburgh hasnt seen a high below 0 since 1994...

Harrisburg hasnt recorded a low below 0 since 1996... can we do it both tonight and monday night?

I am still feeling ice potential for Sunday across eastern PA... I just dont see temps warming up quite enough today and tomorrow to make any kind of dent in the new snowpack...

looking at tail end of 12z NAM... has 850mb temps in the negative 25-30C range entering western PA with surface temperatures falling below 0 Monday evening...

Pittsburgh hasnt seen a high below 0 since 1994...

Harrisburg hasnt recorded a low below 0 since 1996... can we do it both tonight and monday night?

One thing that impresses me is that arctic airmasses tend to be overmodeled in advance only to see them back off as time goes on. This seems to be trending colder if anything as we go along...

That 9" report from Red Lion is darn suspicious.  

...YORK COUNTY...
RED LION 9.0 200 AM 1/03 TRAINED SPOTTER
DOVER 7.5 1013 PM 1/02 PUBLIC
YORK 7.1 957 PM 1/02 SOCIAL MEDIA
GOLDSBORO 6.6 1003 PM 1/02 SOCIAL MEDIA
2 E YORK 6.0 1044 PM 1/02 SOCIAL MEDIA
3 E YORK 5.0 1008 PM 1/02 PUBLIC
LOGANVILLE 4.9 955 PM 1/02 PUBLIC
2 SE DILLSBURG 3.5 500 PM 1/02 AT ROSSVILL

That 9" report from Red Lion is darn suspicious.

Was thinking the same - its where that weenie Facebook group lives, right? I was thinking sure, rip the NWS then give a report that eeks in to the low end of your "forecast"

I did see some 6" and 7" in York county so it may not be impossible. But they were what i thought of

Was thinking the same - its where that weenie Facebook group lives, right? I was thinking sure, rip the NWS then give a report that eeks in to the low end of your "forecast"

I did see some 6" and 7" in York county so it may not be impossible. But they were what i thought of

i was hitting them hard today. they deserve it!

Regardless of the erroneous total, and the stupid crippling wording, their overall snow forecast was, in fact, the most accurate out of any I saw leading into the event now that numbers have come in.

Regardless of the erroneous total, and the stupid crippling wording, their overall snow forecast was, in fact, the most accurate out of any I saw leading into the event now that numbers have come in.

What about the NWS?

they orginally had Harrisburg in 8-12". then after people slammed them, they dropped it to 6-8 and then claimed the NWS was coming into their line of thinking? say whaaaaaaaaaat?

Archived