Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Central PA & The Fringes - January 2014

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NWS was dead on for us as well. Their final call was 6-8 for LNS, we ended up with between 6 and 7.

They are pretty much always dead-on accurate. Last Thursday notwithstanding, of course. :)

But they had MDT for 2-4 then 3-5. They finished with 4.8". If you look at stations around the Dauphin/Cumberland/York triangle you'll see they all are within that range. Well except for the yahoo in Harrisburg that reported 2.8".

yeah, tell me about it. My Knees are screaming right now, i need a warm fire and a cold beer.

Excellent for you! Are you at 20" yet?

Almost to 23"!

Summer amwx get-together at mapgirls.

Bring your swimsuit and the booze!

NWS was dead on for us as well. Their final call was 6-8 for LNS, we ended up with between 6 and 7.

They are pretty much always dead-on accurate. Last Thursday notwithstanding, of course. :)

But they had MDT for 2-4 then 3-5. They finished with 4.8". If you look at stations around the Dauphin/Cumberland/York triangle you'll see they all are within that range. Well except for the yahoo in Harrisburg that reported 2.8".

My only comment here is that the call before the storm in Lancaster was 2 to 4". We did not get a warning and 4 to 8 inches until the storm had started.

PHL forecasted 4 to 8 inches 24 hours prior to the storm.

Was thinking the same - its where that weenie Facebook group lives, right? I was thinking sure, rip the NWS then give a report that eeks in to the low end of your "forecast"

I did see some 6" and 7" in York county so it may not be impossible. But they were what i thought of

I had 8.5 and I measured multiple spots average.  I am south of Red Lion by about 7 miles as the crow flies,  It is hard to measure but no single spot here came in below 7.  I measured 12 inches in one spot but that is obviously drifting.  This area had a lot of high ratio banding set up overnight  and that is what accounts for the higher totals.  Some of the terrain here is very high 800-1100 ft which likely contributes to higher totals, 

My only comment here is that the call before the storm in Lancaster was 2 to 4". We did not get a warning and 4 to 8 inches until the storm had started. PHL forecasted 4 to 8 inches 24 hours prior to the storm.

LNS got in on that heavy band axis from the ocean right? I can give a bit of slack as that's really hard to predict this far west. Your point is valid though, most definitely.

What'd PHL end up with?

My only comment here is that the call before the storm in Lancaster was 2 to 4". We did not get a warning and 4 to 8 inches until the storm had started. PHL forecasted 4 to 8 inches 24 hours prior to the storm.

LNS got in on that heavy band axis from the ocean right? I can give a bit of slack as that's really hard to predict this far west. Your point is valid though, most definitely.

What'd PHL end up with?

Philadelphia International Airport came in at 9".

...YORK COUNTY...
RED LION 9.0 200 AM 1/03 TRAINED SPOTTER
DOVER 7.5 1013 PM 1/02 PUBLIC

...HARFORD COUNTY...
NORRISVILLE 7.5 610 AM 1/03 PUBLIC
BEL AIR 7.0 700 AM 1/03 SHERIFF OFFICE
1 NNE BEL AIR 6.3 440 AM 1/03 TRAINED SPOTTER
CONOWINGO DAM 4.0 700 AM 1/03 CO-OP OBSERVER

My location is about 6 miles north of Norrisville, and about 7 miles south of Red Lion.  If you average the 9 inch Red Lion report with the Norrisville report of 7.5 you get about 8.3.  I am right between those two locations so I am confident in the 8.5 measurement. :snowing::pimp:

That 9" report from Red Lion is darn suspicious.  

with the blowing snow I was afraid to see what the totals would end up being reported today from people who dont know how to properly measure... I was rather surprised that most seem accurate with the higher totals in the areas that saw the good banding... other than that 9" report... there are always at least a few who report totals slightly higher than everyone around them just to try and have the most... drives me nuts

edit:  after seeing the posts from I-83 blizzard I guess I was off where I remember the best banding developing... I was thinking Red Lion was further south of it but maybe not

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA

1249 PM EST FRI JAN 3 2014

.SYNOPSIS...

HIGH PRESSURE AND ASSOCIATED ARCTIC AIR MASS WILL BUILD INTO

PENNSYLVANIA TODAY AND TONIGHT. A POLAR VORTEX BREAKUP INDICATED

LATE WEEKEND AND EARLY NEXT WEEK...WITH ONE PIECE DROPPING SE THRU

THE GRT LKS. SOME OF THE COLDEST AIR IN THE LAST 20 YEARS WILL

SPREAD INTO THE REGION LATE MONDAY THRU EARLY WEDNESDAY.

&&

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 10 PM THIS EVENING/...

WINDS ARE SLOWLY DIMINISHING AND WILL DO SO INTO EARLY THIS EVENING BEFORE THEY BECOME LIGHT AND VARIABLE.

MOSTLY SUNNY SKIES WILL GIVE WAY TO INCREASING DARKNESS THIS EVENING. CRISP CLEAR NIGHT.

&&

cant help but laugh at this one...

What about from the Walnut Street bridge?

To get there from this building requires a) crossing three lanes of Front Street traffic on a Friday afternoon only to b ) walk through God-knows-what-and-how-deep of snow on the bank just to get to where the sidewalk relatively might be to get to the bridge. I might try it tomorrow when there are less people out and about.

Archived