Most Online
    mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
Central PA & The Fringes - January 2014

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

heat island + light wind = harrisburg and philly with the two warmest spots in the state

I was driving home from work along the river today. As soon as I turned toward home (I live about 2 miles east as the crow flies) the temperature immediately started dropping. Wondering if the still unfrozen (mainly) water keeps MDT slightly warmer as well?

Who'd have thought despite the intense cold, I'd actually be uncomfortably hot in my room. Heat is set way too high here and my room is over 80 degrees. :axe:

Interesting. My office/computer room is the same way. The rest of the house is about 70, but in here it's 82. It happens a lot during our colder outbreaks. My guess is that the furnace runs more to heat the rest of the house, but the computers in this room generate their own heat, so it's amplified. Under more normal conditions, the difference in room temps is not so severe.

As for outside, I'm currently -2 after bottoming out at -4 sometime after midnight. Warm air is moving west to east across the region though. Bradford was something like -6 last night before midnight, and now is up to +6 at 5:00AM.

My parents live in a local cold spot in eastern Lebanon County...had a low of -8° this morning and still sitting at -2°. As far as I'm aware, that's the coldest temp recorded there since 1994 when we hit -12-14°.

A bit surprised they weren't lower than that in '94. I was living in Mountville at the time and reached -23.

Currently 5.6 here and rising rapidly.

A bit surprised they weren't lower than that in '94. I was living in Mountville at the time and reached -23.

Currently 5.6 here and rising rapidly.

Our thermometer siting from '84 to '05 was pretty poor, right up against the house.  Now we have it at ~2m in the back of the yard, right below a sloping open field.  

Probably would have recorded -20 or so in '94 in the same spot.

Archived