joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter

Isopycnic

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm so disappointed. The OPI was great and everything until this month. It might just only have a good handle on the AO for December and November, unless we see a super ++AO equivalent to the strength of the - PII going on currently. Ugh, It had so much accuracy. Maybe a SSW event caused it to fail or some other small scale feature caused the failure.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/uploads/monthly_10_2013/post-480-0-51174400-1381532942.jpg

the opi is really unproven. Its like the new theory of global warming causing global cooling m

lol.. did you read what Ji posted earlier today? That was hilarious.

I missed it. I'll go back and look. Was it in the banner thread?

It really amazed me how many good, respectable people bought so solidly into it right away. I'd never heard of it before this year. How could something like that just come into the arena and have such broad based buy-in without any doubt?

I missed it. I'll go back and look. Was it in the banner thread?

It really amazed me how many good, respectable people bought so solidly into it right away. I'd never heard of it before this year. How could something like that just come into the arena and have such broad based buy-in without any doubt?

its amazing how it was instantly held up as gospel. Ji said " I need to find a new hobby, like self water boarding"

. Whatever happened to glaam?

From Kirks blog at 6:23 pm tonight

"The primary global equations GFS, GEM, ECWFM and their respective ensembles continue to point to a cold ending to January. They build the western ridge in the East Pacific through Alaska and close off a ridge for a few days over Alaska, and try to build the upper heights such that overall ridging wraps from the East Pacific, across the North Pole, and into eastern Europe. That would essentially create two main vortices in the Northern Hemisphere. One in Siberia, the other In Canada. The day 10 maps show the coldest vortex is in North America, not Siberia!"

From Roberts paid site posted yesterday:

"All the models and their respective ensembles continue to point to a cold ending to January. With time over the next two weeks the European model and ensemble continues to build the western ridge in the East Pacific through Alaska. Both it and GFS close off a ridge for a few days as well, directly over Alaska, and try to build the heights such that overall ridging wraps from the East Pacific, across the North Pole, and into eastern Europe. That would essentially create two main vortices in the Northern Hemisphere. One in Siberia, the other In Canada. The day 10 maps show the coldest vortex is in North America, not Siberia."

Maybe he got his permission? Sorry mods, this probably goes to banter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys if you can go to WSB and ask them why Kirk Mellish ripped off Robert. This was done without his permission and WSB should know that their meteorologist who is well paid as opposed to Robert is plagiarizing his content. Here is what I posted using weathernut's post. 

https://www.facebook.com/wsbradio

Wondering why your meteorologist Kirk Mellish is plagiarizing a local small town meteorologist based out of NC. Is this what you allow as news? 

From Kirks blog 

"The primary global equations GFS, GEM, ECWFM and their respective ensembles continue to point to a cold ending to January. They build the western ridge in the East Pacific through Alaska and close off a ridge for a few days over Alaska, and try to build the upper heights such that overall ridging wraps from the East Pacific, across the North Pole, and into eastern Europe. That would essentially create two main vortices in the Northern Hemisphere. One in Siberia, the other In Canada. The day 10 maps show the coldest vortex is in North America, not Siberia!"

From WxSouth online blog posted before Kirk's:

"All the models and their respective ensembles continue to point to a cold ending to January. With time over the next two weeks the European model and ensemble continues to build the western ridge in the East Pacific through Alaska. Both it and GFS close off a ridge for a few days as well, directly over Alaska, and try to build the heights such that overall ridging wraps from the East Pacific, across the North Pole, and into eastern Europe. That would essentially create two main vortices in the Northern Hemisphere. One in Siberia, the other In Canada. The day 10 maps show the coldest vortex is in North America, not Siberia."

Yeah we still have February so not sure why some are so quick to criticize it.

I mean I'm all for innovation and people discovering new indices and what not to make better forecasts, it just sounded too good to be true to me and what I've always known is when it sounds too good to be true...then it probably is.

Weather, just like everything, loves disorder and has high entropy, at least to me. Most of it is instability and energy. I'm sure somewhere in the field they study that fact, theoretical meteorology maybe? There's always going to be a pattern that surprises us and indices that don't work, ones that do, blind squirrels that find nuts, etc. That's what makes forecasting fun.

Hey guys if you can go to WSB and ask them why Kirk Mellish ripped off Robert. This was done without his permission and WSB should know that their meteorologist who is well paid as opposed to Robert is plagiarizing his content. Here is what I posted using weathernut's post. 

https://www.facebook.com/wsbradio

He did a few years ago too!  Did you get a response?   I posted something as well.  Complete and total disrespect

the shortwave coming through the Lowcountry of South Carolina has mustered quite a surprise, a huge flash of lightning, which I thought was originally a transformer blowing with some wind, but it was a long rolling peel of thunder.   check of the radar and sure enough, so much for PWATS around 0.4 inches.   it was enough to trigger elevated convection in Charleston County. 

post-1324-0-27237100-1390016466_thumb.gi

and a check of the AFD, sheesh

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM SATURDAY MORNING/...
TONIGHT...THE MID/UPPER LEVEL SHORTWAVE TROUGH NOTED IN WATER
VAPOR IMAGERY WILL CONTINUE TO SWING ACROSS THE EASTERN
CAROLINAS/GEORGIA AND EVENTUALLY BEGIN TO PULL AWAY TO THE
NORTHEAST. AN ASSOCIATED AREA OF LOW PRESSURE IS CROSSING THE
CENTRAL APPALACHIANS AND IS PUSHING A COLD FRONT THROUGH THE AREA
LATE THIS EVENING. THE FRONT WILL QUICKLY SHIFT OFFSHORE AND EAST
OF THE AREA OVERNIGHT.

DESPITE VERY LIMITED MOISTURE...LOW-LEVEL CONVERGENCE/FORCING
ALONG THE FRONT HAS PRODUCED A LINE OF CONVECTION ALONG THE LOWER
SOUTH CAROLINA AND FAR UPPER GEORGIA COASTS. SOME EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS
HAVE BEEN OBSERVED AND EVEN A REPORT OF BRIEF PEA-SIZED HAIL
RECEIVED FROM THE SAVANNAH AREA. CONVECTION WILL QUICKLY
SHIFT OFFSHORE PRIOR TO MIDNIGHT...WITH RAIN-FREE CONDITIONS THEN
EXPECTED OVERNIGHT IN WAKE OF THE FRONT WITH JUST SOME MID-LEVEL
CLOUDS PERSISTING.

WINDS WILL REMAIN ELEVATED THROUGH THE NIGHT THANKS TO THE
PRESSURE GRADIENT AND IMPENDING COLD ADVECTION. EXPECT WEST WINDS
TO BE AS HIGH AS 15-20 MPH LATE TONIGHT. TEMPERATURES WILL FALL
QUICKLY BEHIND THE FRONT UNDER CLEAR SKIES...WITH LOWS BOTTOMING
OUT IN THE UPPER 20S INLAND RANGING TO LOW TO MID 30S AT THE
COAST.

and two more hail reports in Charleston

NWUS52 KCHS 180332
LSRCHS

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHARLESTON SC
1032 PM EST FRI JAN 17 2014

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...
..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
..REMARKS..

1027 PM HAIL JAMES ISLAND 32.73N 79.93W
01/17/2014 E0.25 INCH CHARLESTON SC PUBLIC

PEA SIZE HAIL OFF OF FORT JOHNSON ROAD.

&&

EVENT NUMBER CHS1400063

$

VB

NWUS52 KCHS 180330
LSRCHS

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHARLESTON SC
1029 PM EST FRI JAN 17 2014

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...
..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
..REMARKS..

1020 PM HAIL 1 S CHARLESTON 32.77N 79.94W
01/17/2014 E0.25 INCH CHARLESTON SC TRAINED SPOTTER

PEA SIZE HAIL NEAR THE CORNER OF BROAD STREET AND
RUTLEDGE AVE

Send the convection my way tonight stormsfurry after I hit 32.

Alright I'm betting before Wednesday night we have a true synoptic winter storm event thread running. Banking on how trigger happy we all have become thanks to the 3 year snow drought we are approaching as well as consistent smoke signals being sent out by the ops and ensembles for the last 6 day stretch of January. This isn't a textbook snow pattern we are heading into but it is worlds better than anything we've seen in a long time. Taking at face value it should be able to produce and reward several of us.

I mean I'm all for innovation and people discovering new indices and what not to make better forecasts, it just sounded too good to be true to me and what I've always known is when it sounds too good to be true...then it probably is.

Weather, just like everything, loves disorder and has high entropy, at least to me. Most of it is instability and energy. I'm sure somewhere in the field they study that fact, theoretical meteorology maybe? There's always going to be a pattern that surprises us and indices that don't work, ones that do, blind squirrels that find nuts, etc. That's what makes forecasting fun.

Yeah, probably was too good to be true, and I agree that there will always be a pattern that surprises us. We should be glad that we have gotten that - EPO this year. We saw what happened in December once it relaxed along with the very positive AO.

the shortwave coming through the Lowcountry of South Carolina has mustered quite a surprise, a huge flash of lightning, which I thought was originally a transformer blowing with some wind, but it was a long rolling peel of thunder.   check of the radar and sure enough, so much for PWATS around 0.4 inches.   it was enough to trigger elevated convection in Charleston County. 

attachicon.gifWUNIDS_map.gif

and a check of the AFD, sheesh

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM SATURDAY MORNING/...

TONIGHT...THE MID/UPPER LEVEL SHORTWAVE TROUGH NOTED IN WATER

VAPOR IMAGERY WILL CONTINUE TO SWING ACROSS THE EASTERN

CAROLINAS/GEORGIA AND EVENTUALLY BEGIN TO PULL AWAY TO THE

NORTHEAST. AN ASSOCIATED AREA OF LOW PRESSURE IS CROSSING THE

CENTRAL APPALACHIANS AND IS PUSHING A COLD FRONT THROUGH THE AREA

LATE THIS EVENING. THE FRONT WILL QUICKLY SHIFT OFFSHORE AND EAST

OF THE AREA OVERNIGHT.

DESPITE VERY LIMITED MOISTURE...LOW-LEVEL CONVERGENCE/FORCING

ALONG THE FRONT HAS PRODUCED A LINE OF CONVECTION ALONG THE LOWER

SOUTH CAROLINA AND FAR UPPER GEORGIA COASTS. SOME EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS

HAVE BEEN OBSERVED AND EVEN A REPORT OF BRIEF PEA-SIZED HAIL

RECEIVED FROM THE SAVANNAH AREA. CONVECTION WILL QUICKLY

SHIFT OFFSHORE PRIOR TO MIDNIGHT...WITH RAIN-FREE CONDITIONS THEN

EXPECTED OVERNIGHT IN WAKE OF THE FRONT WITH JUST SOME MID-LEVEL

CLOUDS PERSISTING.

Lordy StormsFury, You sgould be HERE right now, (KILM)..  What you mentioned the shortwave coming through the Lowcountry..... Robust indeed...

It's just started to come up into KILM area(s).. LOTS of Lighting & Thunder + HEAVY PRECIP...   caught ME BY SURPRISE, *rattled* Me outta bed, wife is up, DOG in Hiding...

Again Heavy Wind(s), Lotsa Lighting/Thunder/Heavy Precip

Temp 55

Winds from the north at 10

dew point 46

post-2767-0-73310200-1390023607_thumb.gi

Must not be much of a variance in the short term perturbations to create such wildly different solutions in the long term. If you bet against ANY extremes, you will get it right 98% of the time. I highly doubt there will be anything historic coming up in the next few weeks. It looks like slightly to sometimes moderately below normal for a few days and then back to typical cool to mild conditions. Unfortunately, it looks to remain dry with predominant northwest flow. Hopefully, it will exhaust this northwest flow pattern and then return to sw flow for summer (wet and relatively cooler). Trough is centered too far east to help Atlanta for possible snow. NC may still catch a storm before the pattern relaxes. It's hard to go against Robert G. and JB, but I don't think you can ever safely forecast extremes unless it's imminent!

Archived