Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January Banter

Isopycnic

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm subscribing to WxBell. Finally decided. Those maps look great, but I heard that the models run later than Raleighwx's and others. Is that true?

You asked me before which one I would go with. I've used almost all of them. I prefer SV. Each gives something special. WxBell has the Euro ENS which is good for cheap...but I still think SV has the easiest maps to read and understand plus they seem to run the fastest.....but it doesn't give you everything you get with AccuPro or WxBell. I really wish WSI would put out some sort of subscription service for non commercial clients. By the way SV is $30 per month. 

You asked me before which one I would go with. I've used almost all of them. I prefer SV. Each gives something special. WxBell has the Euro ENS which is good for cheap...but I still think SV has the easiest maps to read and understand plus they seem to run the fastest.....but it doesn't give you everything you get with AccuPro or WxBell. I really wish WSI would put out some sort of subscription service for non commercial clients. By the way SV is $30 per month.

Thanks! They must offer the most since it costs the most out of the other three. I'm probably getting that. You say they are easier to read as well. I should just try all the free trials so I see which one I like the best, then cancel if allowed to. I don't think SV has a free trial though.

NE cola or Blythewood then. There's honestly nowhere in LexCo that does better than Cola.

Im in Blythewood. Nice area,and its cooler and higher elevation than downtown, or Cayce-West Columbia, I grew up in West Columbia just acrossthe river from downtown, and it truly is a heat bowl. Always the last to change over or accumulate in a wintry event. Hope this helps.

I've been considering getting up a map service.  Get some magic 8 balls for models, and hire Wilkes to draw up some colorful, easy to read maps.  Get Brick to provide the text product, and Burns to provide the color.  It'll be cheap, unless I can get CR to hire on.  A known celeb. will probably cost some bucks, but he may work for food.  Anyway, I'll let you know.  Tony

PS.... I'd hoped to get Larry to provide some climo commentary, and data, but I tried to get him in on another project, and he confessed he was lazy, and couldn't do it, lol. So I don't hold out much hope there :)

NE cola or Blythewood then. There's honestly nowhere in LexCo that does better than Cola.

Actually my area does pretty well...think it has to do in part with the elevation (my yard is 519' ASL) and in the outskirts of southern Lexington Co...it's constantly several degrees cooler here overnight than surrounding areas.

FFC is with out a doubt the most ultra conservative WFO in the country.

Why don't you quit looking at their forecast. It just stresses you out, or just mentally subtract 10 degrees from every temp forecast or add 6 inches of snow to every precip forecast, even in the summer. 

Not a bad idea, I have done better than them many times...

max100,

You joined this site on Jan 1st, 2014. At the rate you are posting, you will post over 5000 plus posts this year and so far, none have been useful. Just read more, post less. Get to know everyone and quit trying to troll FFC every time they release a product.

This will be the first major arctic cold since I've been a home owner. Should us Charlottteans be doing anything to prepare our houses for what's coming?

Probably gonna want to keep the pipes dripping especially if they're older. Where you and the family living at these days? I just bought a house in Starmount a few months ago. 

Probably gonna want to keep the pipes dripping especially if they're older. Where you and the family living at these days? I just bought a house in Starmount a few months ago.

It's a pretty new house so I'm thinking we will be ok since it it only a 2 say cold snap or so. I'm in Concord just off exit 54 on 85.

With the new baby I've had to lurk a lot more this year but as soon as a legit storm threat pops up ill post more.

It's a pretty new house so I'm thinking we will be ok since it it only a 2 say cold snap or so. I'm in Concord just off exit 54 on 85.

With the new baby I've had to lurk a lot more this year but as soon as a legit storm threat pops up ill post more.

Slab, crawl space or basement?

Crawl space.

OK, that is the type construction most prone to pipe freezing. Check and see if the pipes are wrapped. In my experience in this area they are often not. Also, and this is the most important thing, close any and all vents present around the perimeter of the foundation. You don't want a direct influx of freezing air into the crawl space every time the wind blows.

OK, that is the type construction most prone to pipe freezing. Check and see if the pipes are wrapped. In my experience in this area they are often not. Also, and this is the most important thing, close any and all vents present around the perimeter of the foundation. You don't want a direct influx of freezing air into the crawl space every time the wind blows.

Awesome! Thanks for the info JB

So, there's a 100 mile distance between Indianapolis and Cincinnati.  It's currently snowing in Indy and just cloudy in Cincy.  There's about a 50-60 mile-wide stretch of rain between the two cities.  I'm hoping that by the fourth quarter, there will be heavy snow pouring down in this NFL game, but the line does not seem to be advancing too quickly to the east.

Why Do Hot Water Pipes Freeze First?

Hot water pipes are more likely to burst because the initially higher temperature of the water in them makes the formation of ice crystals more difficult. The water in the pipe then supercools, that is, goes below 0°C. Then, when freezing does occur, it occurs rapidly, quickly blocking the pipe and trapping water between itself and the closed valve. The sudden formation of the plug causes the pipe to burst.

Source:

http://scifun.chem.wisc.edu/radio/pipefrez.html

Thats a good point burns. Also being newer the vents probably slide R or L to open unlike older style vents which is nothing more than flaps. But I have the older style and have taped them shut to prevent cold air every time the wind blows.

Also like sliding glass doors, tack a blanket to the walls and flush with the walls to stop drafts. You can also run masking tape along the inside window to stop drafts-- since most house have double windows.

Another thing the fleece throw blankets they fit perfectly over windows stretched out and tacked. The throws help cut down on the cold air seeping in through the actual glass.

Archived