Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January Banter

Isopycnic

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW, don't forget to reopen the vents after the cold spell or you will end up with a mega mold problem when our warm wet weather returns.

hey jburns I just received a message that as of right now Buncombe County schools are on a two hour delay tomorrow and that will give them time to see what the snow does if we get it.  I guess this was done since they are saying now the snow won't start until between 4-6 am just when we're starting buses around 5:45 am.   I'll have to commend the school officials for doing this now instead of waiting for the am.    :santa:

hey jburns I just received a message that as of right now Buncombe County schools are on a two hour delay tomorrow and that will give them time to see what the snow does if we get it.  I guess this was done since they are saying now the snow won't start until between 4-6 am just when we're starting buses around 5:45 am.   I'll have to commend the school officials for doing this now instead of waiting for the am.    :santa:

That's a good move. It will also allow it to get light before any kids have to venture out.

Buncombe County and several other counties that are not going to be cold enough for snow initially (foothills/Piedmont) will likely see black ice due to rain. The thaw could take awhile as well since arctic air will be streaming in changing everything over to snow showers.

Haven't had this kind of cold since I've been a homeowner ! To do the pipe drip, does it just have to be one faucet on the inside, or all of them? And is it necessary if on a slab ? TIA

You should be good on a slab with the exception of any pipes in an outside wall. Shouldn't really be any but you never know.  Make sure you remove any hoses from outside spickets.  If you have something like a bathroom sink on an outside wall simply opening the under sink doors will take care of that.

Lol @ NC and SC. What are yall waiting for to issue a windchill advisory or whatever? Even S/C FL has there watches and warnings up.

In all seriousness , I think they issue windchill advisories for SGA and Florida for low 20s values! It's all relative. I'm still wondering about school closings Tuesday morning with widespread single- digits, would they for just cold alone?

In all seriousness , I think they issue windchill advisories for SGA and Florida for low 20s values! It's all relative. I'm still wondering about school closings Tuesday morning with widespread single- digits, would they for just cold alone?

SE GA windchill criteria is 15 and NE FL is 20. We are expecting WCs near 0 here and 5 in NE FL.

How to prepare for cold weather in the south.

1. A dependable heat source is a must.

large.jpg

2. Be sure all drains are clear.

large.jpg

3. Ensure you have a reliable source of drinking water.

large.jpg

4. Check for air leaks around doors and windows.

large.jpg

5. Don't forget the necessities.

large.jpg

Be safe out there!!

*** All photos copyright Waycross Chamber of Commerce 

large.jpg

Be safe out there!!

All right, jburns.  I caught you.  There's no way those photos are from Waycross.  You lied to us.  It's never been cold enough there to freeze over a pond like in that picture above.

Pssht I'm from the Chicago area and went through January 2009. We hit -18 during the outbreak that occurred that month.

Watch this. This is when the local on the 8s was good.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1tHzFUiYsew&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D1tHzFUiYsew

Pffffft.....I'm from Ohio and experienced the two coldest winters ever '77-'78  :wub:   :P 

We can't get a windchill advisory, but we have a dense fog advisory. Jackpot!!

:lol: 

1. A dependable heat source is a must.

2. Be sure all drains are clear.

4. Check for air leaks around doors and windows.

5. Don't forget the necessities.

Be safe out there!!

:lmao: 

Archived