Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January Banter

Isopycnic

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey I like that frozen bubble idea.  Have to try that out with the kids.  Oh wait, their grown :cry:

Of all days, my Lacrosse thermometer that I know to be dead accurate bought the farm.

Bought a cheap Acurite from Home Depot.  Piece of junk.  No readings to the tenth, and has been stuck at 57 degrees for the past ten minutes.  Mid thirties outside lol.

In my youth, I used to blow bubbles into the frigid air and watch them freeze.  The bubbles would shatter like a Christmas ornament when you poked them.

Where did you grow up? We used to do this among other things like spraying the driveway with water so we could ice skate :lol: We also would carry buckets of water to our favorite sledding area so we could go faster...lol. Those were the days  :D  

I've been making hand made paper for years.  Mostly dinosaurs, but in the 90's I was doing a lot of abstract stuff, and I made ice paper when it got under 10.  Has to be under ten, but I can throw the wet pulp out, and spray it with dye mixed with water, and it will flash freeze, and occasionally the dye and water will do some amazing things.  I try to get multi colored crystal growth to show in the dried paper, but it's tricky, and I can usually only go for 2 or 3 hours before I have to call it.  I'll fill a 50 gal garbage can with pulp, and lay sheets of plastic covered plywood out in the yard, and do my "way too cold for idiots" ice dance.  Some times I'll get on the roof to look at what I've got, because you just can't see 4x8's laying on the ground from far enough away.  My neighbors knew I was a loony, but left me alone.  Now I'm secluded, and much older, so if I screw up and hurt myself, I may get to enjoy the cold out in it all night, lol.  Cold air like this is so rare you just have to enjoy it for all your worth, or it's just a waste.  My neighbors wife used to keep their house so hot, she'd wear shorts all winter, and there I am out in the yard at 2am doing my hand made paper dance, and climbing up on the roof,  and it's 6 degrees, lol.  Talk about opposite views of the cold, lol.  I never let a chance like this go past without fully participating :thumbsup:

That sounds pretty cool  ^_^

I go to the grocery store to grab a few items and the place is packed. There have only been a few times in the 25+ years that I have lived here that I've seen it overflowing with people and it's not a holiday. While checking out, I commented on how packed they were and the lady running the register along with the lady and gentleman behind me, proceed to tell me that the weather channel said there was going to be ice/freezing rain and cold. :lol:  Needless to say they just thought I was crazy when I told them this would not happen....lol   Only in the south.....smh   :lol: 

I have the perfect Brick NWS forecast here.  Cold-Rain-Cold.  Just finishing a nice 2 day cold snap.  My temp is 32.6º which is my forecasted low for tonight with a 50% chance of rain.

Tomorrow, rain likely 45º.

Tomorrow night, 50% chance of rain, 37º.  

Monday, rain likely 39º.  

Monday night, CLEAR, 6º.

Anyone watch the weather nation channel on directtv? I'm curious to see how accurate they are with this one.

Anywho, anyone else planning to do some water experiments and stuff monday night/tue morning? Growing up I used to love doing them whenever it got really cold. Watching water freeze right in front of your eyes is pretty cool.

I've watched it several times so far and they seem legit to me...not a bunch of extra stuff just weather...just my opinion though.

I've watched it several times so far and they seem legit to me...not a bunch of extra stuff just weather...just my opinion though.

This is what it is about.

The pressure is on at The Weather Channel as major satellite TV provider DirecTV hints it may cut ties with the network, reports the LA Times:

DirecTV, the El Segundo satellite broadcaster with more than 20 million subscribers around the country, has quietly started distributing a network called WeatherNation just as its deal to carry the Weather Channel is set to expire.

Although talks between the two companies are ongoing, DirecTV’s decision to add WeatherNation is seen as a not-so-subtle threat that it is willing to drop the Weather Channel.

I saw that last night and my wife summed it up perfectly...every year there's a couple of idiots that get lost hiking or go "unprepared". Makes you wonder what their intentions really were because anybody with a brain that's going hiking checks the freaking weather!

I saw that last night and my wife summed it up perfectly...every year there's a couple of idiots that get lost hiking or go "unprepared". Makes you wonder what their intentions really were because anybody with a brain that's going hiking checks the freaking weather!

especially in the higher elevations, in January! . Its a different world at 5 and 6k feet.

This happens all to often up there unfortunately.  I remember my first backpacking trip up there and I was prepared gear wise but still couldn't believe it.  It was in the 50s in Georgia and still pretty balmy in Maryville where I picked my friends up.  We got up to Newfound and there was a foot of snow.  We hiked in the dark to Icewater and the snow was so frozen you barely punched through it.  It got down to 8 that night and my jeans (big mistake) froze together during the night.  I had no idea that the weather could be that different and I had been around the smokies my whole life. 

On a similar note I was hiking the AT in Georgia one February a few years back and we were camping in Jarrard gap.  It was around freezing that evening and blowing a little sleet.  A big group of boy scouts comes up in shorts and t-shirts and proceeds to hang a bear bag about 4 feet off the ground.  I went over to talk to the leader and he said they were from Pennsylvania and had no idea that it would be that cold in Georgia.  His was very dismayed when I informed him that snow and more cold was in the forecast several times over the next couple of days.  That next night we stayed on Blood Mountain and I got to watch snow falling upward as the northwest wind hit the side of the mountain and blew it upward.  It dropped down in the upper teens that night.  I never saw the scouts again so I don't know what came of them but I'm sure they froze their butts off and learned that the southern Appalachians should be respected.  A Walk in the Woods should be mandatory reading for anyone about to hike the souther apps.

I think this winter is actually worse than the last two. At least the last two were warm when we didn't have any snow. If you are not going to have fun and excitement with snow, might as well have nice weather. This winter it has been either mostly cold or raining. The pattern continues this week with the bitter cold, and then warms up only for it to rain again next weekend. This has been a miserable winter.

I have the perfect Brick NWS forecast here.  Cold-Rain-Cold.  Just finishing a nice 2 day cold snap.  My temp is 32.6º which is my forecasted low for tonight with a 50% chance of rain.

Tomorrow, rain likely 45º.

Tomorrow night, 50% chance of rain, 37º.  

Monday, rain likely 39º.  

Monday night, CLEAR, 6º.

Exactly. This winter sucks.

Archived