• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
January 3-6th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

This is starting to look like a high to very-high ratio event. 18Z GFS forecast vertical profiles from STL to LAF are showing very deep ice crystal growth layers in the latter half of the event as the system pulls in increasingly cold air and omega remains centered over the DGZ.

Yup. 15:1 (or better) with an inch of liquid anybody?

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The southern stream energy isn't comparable to this. I wouldn't worry about what happened with some storm in the 1970s.

First time I've ever heard the 952 Cleveland Bomb referred to as "some storm in the 1970s".     

Respect the bomb dude ....about a 90% chance you'll never witness anything close to that in your lifetime.

First time I've ever heard the 952 Cleveland Bomb referred to as "some storm in the 1970s".     

Respect the bomb dude ....about a 90% chance you'll never witness anything close to that in your lifetime.

+1

I've always wondered how many people on this board actually experienced the '78 blizzard?

It is affectionally known as 'Superstorm 78' locally.........

The weenies are fickle today. The point was that it's not a meteorologically relevant comparison.

I have been under this sucker all day and it is raining quite hard here with a very low cloud ceiling, in fact it was almost dark outside at 2 p.m. and dark as night half an hour before sunset. Something ominous comes your way.

Name suggestions -- Mississippi mauler, Bee Gees Reunion Tour, Abba Shovel? and (this is probably years out) The Immaculate Cyclogenesis

Well, I hand-drew a map on the morning of 01-26-1978 in Toronto and if that was a 10, this looks like about a 7 so far, maybe we can pump it up to a 9 before we're done.

By the way, speaking of 70s storms, this one reminds me a bit of the mid-January snowstorm before the severe cold wave in Jan 1976, think it was 15th-16th or thereabouts, was followed by record cold in Ontario at least. About ten inches of snow, this one may be a sort of average of that and the 1978 blizzard.

+1

I've always wondered how many people on this board actually experienced the '78 blizzard?

It is affectionally known as 'Superstorm 78' locally.........

I was in 7th grade and up until the day before that storm I had about as much interest in weather as in bird watching....which was none.   January 28th, 1978 I grew my weather weenie.

such a tough call...

wave spacing between the current system and the vort crashing into the Pac NW 0z Friday is really tight....IMO it should limit how much heights are able to crank. If this energy trends slower, potential for a much stronger/NW solution jumps...any faster and the opposite.

The 850 WAA being advertised in the plains continues to pique my interest. Baroclinic zone over the southern plains is going to be pretty intense. You have to wonder if cyclogenesis is a little under done.

On January 2, 1999, a blizzard hit southeast Michigan and continued into the early morning hours of the 3rd. Detroit Metro Airport received 11.3 inches, Flint had 8.5 inches and Tri Cities Airport in Freeland received 13.2 inches. Between 10 and 15 inches of snow fell over many areas south of M-59, and between 5 to 13 inches across the Saginaw Valley and Thumb regions.

Repeat, couple days later? 

The closest thing I experienced in regards to the blizzard of 78 was the March Superstorm of 1993 when I was in high school living in the suburbs of Philadelphia. I've never seen a storm like that before, nor do I ever expect to see one like it again. That was the most impressive display of power I've ever seen in person.

The closest thing I experienced in regards to the blizzard of 78 was the March Superstorm of 1993 when I was in high school living in the suburbs of Philadelphia. I've never seen a storm like that before, nor do I ever expect to see one like it again. That was the most impressive display of power I've ever seen in person.

I went to high school in philly burbs too. You there for the Blizzard of '96? Thats my all timd fav,

FWIW, if we don't start seeing consistent trends either way over the next few model runs, you can probably lock the general idea in. If this is going to be a big dog (either west or east) you have to image we'll start seeing some increasing model consensus/ensemble agreement. 

I was in 7th grade and up until the day before that storm I had about as much interest in weather as in bird watching....which was none.   January 28th, 1978 I grew my weather weenie.

I was in first year university and the storm went from rain to snow about 7 AM.  I got a ride to school that morning, but every class was cancelled after I got there.  Eventually they closed the university which almost never happened and if you didn't live on campus it was basically 'get out'.....

Walked home in the storm which was about  2 miles.   A couple of people in the city got lost in the blizzard and ended up freezing to death. :axe:

I went to high school in philly burbs too. You there for the Blizzard of '96? Thats my all timd fav,

Wow, what school? I went to Marple Newtown. Yeah, I was there for the 96 one. That was the most impressive in terms of snowfall that I've seen, but it paled in comparison to the power of the 93 one. Not even close really.

On January 2, 1999, a blizzard hit southeast Michigan and continued into the early morning hours of the 3rd. Detroit Metro Airport received 11.3 inches, Flint had 8.5 inches and Tri Cities Airport in Freeland received 13.2 inches. Between 10 and 15 inches of snow fell over many areas south of M-59, and between 5 to 13 inches across the Saginaw Valley and Thumb regions.

Repeat, couple days later? 

Howell came in with 7 inches.  LOL

Howell dominates much of SE Michigan in the total snow department, but we suck at big dogs here.

Wow, what school? I went to Marple Newtown. Yeah, I was there for the 96 one. That was the most impressive in terms of snowfall that I've seen, but it paled in comparison to the power of the 93 one. Not even close really.

Archbishop Wood in Bucks County. Agreed about differences in 93 & 96 storms.

Archived