gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
January 3-6th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since we're throwing analogs around, the current model progs kind of remind me of a poor man's pre-Christmas 2004. Shifted west a bit though.

1/14/1992 and 2/23/2003 also come to mind.

But again, synoptically, this is really a poor man's bomb potential given the unimpressive southern stream wave. 

I remember the Blizzard of '78 here in Flint. I remember there were snowdrifts 10' in spots and the snow was easily 2' deep in the lowest spots. I got up in the morning and the front room window was covered 2/3 of the way up. The entire east side of our house was drifted to almost the roofline. I remember people died in MI because of it. The only school open for miles and miles was St. Mary's Catholic. 

I remember another really bad winter storm when I was a kid, in I think it was 1967. My dad and i went outside to shovel at one point, it was after dark and all you could see was the streetlight. You couldn't hardly even see across the street. Out of nowhere, a blast of lightning hit something like a few houses away. My dad told me to drop the shovel and get in the house immediately! Neither of us had any clue thundersnow even existed and it scared the hell out of him. The snowflakes were the size of silver dollars and coming down like I've never seen since. We got over 20" and the whole city was pretty much shut down for two days.

Archived