Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January 3-6th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember the Blizzard of '78 here in Flint. I remember there were snowdrifts 10' in spots and the snow was easily 2' deep in the lowest spots. I got up in the morning and the front room window was covered 2/3 of the way up. The entire east side of our house was drifted to almost the roofline. I remember people died in MI because of it. The only school open for miles and miles was St. Mary's Catholic. 

I remember another really bad winter storm when I was a kid, in I think it was 1967. My dad and i went outside to shovel at one point, it was after dark and all you could see was the streetlight. You couldn't hardly even see across the street. Out of nowhere, a blast of lightning hit something like a few houses away. My dad told me to drop the shovel and get in the house immediately! Neither of us had any clue thundersnow even existed and it scared the hell out of him. The snowflakes were the size of silver dollars and coming down like I've never seen since. We got over 20" and the whole city was pretty much shut down for two days.

Dec 2000 was unreal in Flint.... I worked in that city quite a bit during that month.

Depth around 2 feet was pretty common.

1/14/1992 and 2/23/2003 also come to mind.

But again, synoptically, this is really a poor man's bomb potential given the unimpressive southern stream wave. 

And the phase doesn't really become fulsome until it's well into Canada. The 1978 storm had the PV interact much earlier. Things can change but I'm seeing this as a quick hitting 4-8" type event for whoever ends up in the main swath.

Dont know where else to put this

ILZ014-031630-
COOK-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CHICAGO
803 PM CST THU JAN 2 2014

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM FRIDAY TO 9 AM CST
SATURDAY...

FRIDAY NIGHT...VERY WINDY. PARTLY CLOUDY. BLOWING SNOW.
NEAR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS WITH VISIBILITY ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS
AT TIMES...MAINLY IN OPEN AREAS.
LOWS 12 TO 16. WIND CHILLS AS LOW
AS ZERO TO 10 BELOW ZERO. SOUTH WINDS 20 TO 30 MPH EARLY IN THE
EVENING INCREASING TO 25 TO 35 MPH IN THE LATE EVENING AND
OVERNIGHT. GUSTS UP TO 45 MPH.

And the phase doesn't really become fulsome until it's well into Canada. The 1978 storm had the PV interact much earlier. Things can change but I'm seeing this as a quick hitting 4-8" type event for whoever ends up in the main swath.

Nam. not very moisture laden; however, it shows about 5" for the GTA using 12:1 snow ratios. 

Dec 2000 was unreal in Flint.... I worked in that city quite a bit during that month.

Depth around 2 feet was pretty common.

I'm thinking that's the one I had to drive home from East Detroit to Davison in.. during the middle of the night. It took me 6 hours before I set foot in my home.It was the worst driving experience I've ever experienced. 

It was in a '93 GMC Sonoma 2wd. I am simply amazed I got home in that thing.  I still maintain the only reason I made it was that I never took my foot off the gas once I hit Ortonville/M-15. I was going about 30 and just left it in 3rd gear and followed the ruts. 

If we can get the southern stream wave to just dig/amplify into N. New Mexico and N. Texas, we're golden (what's nice is that it won't take much at this point for that to be realized, see NOGAPS). But given our luck, I'm not holding my breath for that bit of Olympics to happen.

Everything else appears to be all set for a bomb but that southern stream wave. 

hell I'd give up all chances of a storm riding the front in exchange for a squall line with thunder and high winds. Wasn't there a situation like that with an advancing arctic front a few years back, (IL and IN), and they even issued severe thunderstorm warnings?

I do remember that. It was just a few years ago. I'm sure the human weather encyclopedia (aka ChicagoWX) could drum up that answer.

Looks like Louisville would get 3-5 inches of snow on that run, however if that run were to come about 20-40 miles south, then we would be looking at a classic 4-8 inch event. I just want a six inch snowfall, haven't seen one since 2011 when I got two in three days, the last one before that for me was in 2004.

The 12z Euro taken verbatim would dump a foot over a wide swath of Southeast Michigan. With surface temps in the low 20s and 850mb temps around -12c, the Euro's insane QPF would also be accompanied by very good snow ratios. It wouldn't be slop, not even close.

Also, nice to see the third rate American models finally come on board. Only a couple days behind the NOGAPS, lol.

My call for DTW: 14.0"

14" would be a top 10 all-time storm for DTW. Seems bullish, but I'd have no problem with 2+ feet of snow in a week.

Based on the Rgem the GEM is going to be in the same camp it was at 12z.

or possible a bit more southeast.  Comparing the 00z 48 rgem to the 12z 60 ggem it looks like the PV is further south and the low over the great lakes is stronger as well knocking heights down a bit more in the east.

small changes, but who knows.  

hell I'd give up all chances of a storm riding the front in exchange for a squall line with thunder and high winds.   Wasn't there a situation like that with an advancing arctic front a few years back, (IL and IN), and they even issued severe thunderstorm warnings?

January 29, 2008?

IND: http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=ind&storyid=12401&source=2

ILX: http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ilx/?n=012908-temps

http://www.ec.gc.ca/meteo-weather/default.asp?n=D9553AB5-1#blizzard

Well Environment Canada has a certain criteria for Blizzard warnings to be issued. In most cases, they always issue a SW or WSW rather than a BW.  

And SSC, didnt they issue it for the Jan 1999 storm? Based on EC's climate page, the 1993 superstorm was only around 4-8" for us. 

I believe blizzard warnings were issued for that storm.

or possible a bit more southeast.  Comparing the 00z 48 rgem to the 12z 60 ggem it looks like the PV is further south and the low over the great lakes is stronger as well knocking heights down a bit more in the east.

small changes, but who knows.  

The southern wave looks a little farther south as well. 

Archived