amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January 3-6th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, the other factor is the PV is neutrally tilted on this run and its ensembles vs positively tilted, the storm would probably bomb right after that snapshot.

Timing and position is a key factor in this storm. If the PV digs far enough south and the wave across the south can phase with the wave across the North we could come close to what the Euro painted about 3-4 days ago when it showed a bomb near the GL's. 

We all know how horrible the models have performed this year but a few changes can make a huge impact. I favor a track just West of the Apps with this storm. 

LOT

TRANSITIONING INTO SATURDAY NIGHT...AM GETTING A LITTLE CONCERNED  
WITH ADDITIONAL SNOWFALL WHICH COULD CONTINUE INTO SUNDAY.  
ALTHOUGH ONCE AGAIN...MODEL GUIDANCE CONTINUES TO VARY WITH  
RESPECT TO THIS FURTHER DEVELOPMENT. IT IS STILL POSSIBLE THAT  
SATURDAYS SNOW WILL CONTINUE TO SLIDE TO THE EAST/SOUTHEAST  
SATURDAY NIGHT WITH ONLY ADDITIONAL LIGHT ACCUMULATION EXPECTED  
BEFORE EXITING. ALTHOUGH...SOME GUIDANCE HANGS THIS SNOWFALL UP  
BEYOND SATURDAY NIGHT AND EVEN INTENSIFIES OVERNIGHT INTO EARLY  
SUNDAY MORNING. PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED SOUTHERN STREAM WAVE WILL  
LIFT NORTHEAST ACROSS THE REGION SATURDAY NIGHT INTO SUNDAY...WITH  
SURFACE LOW TRACKING TO THE NORTHEAST WITH THE EXACT LOCATION  
VARYING AT THIS TIME. IF THIS BETTER FORCING WOULD HANG UP...THEN  
SEVERAL MORE INCHES OF SNOWFALL WOULD BE POSSIBLE. EITHER WAY...IT  
DOES APPEAR THAT THE BEST CHANCES FOR ADDITIONAL SNOW DURING THIS  
TIME WOULD BE ACROSS THE SOUTHEAST HALF OF THE CWA. SO DID  
INCREASE POPS SATURDAY NIGHT...AND HAVE LIKELY POPS FOR THE  
SOUTHEAST CWA. WILL NEED TO CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE SATURDAY NIGHT  
SUNDAY TIME FRAME...WITH THE POSSIBILITY FOR ADDITIONAL  
ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL.  

I'm excited for this. Finally, a real winter around the great lakes after two in a row that were complete duds...and that's regardless of whether or not this pans out for me.

If we get another major snowfall (6"+) from this I'll be happy enough to call it a winter. Can't ask for much more than 3 storms in less than a month to deliver that threshold.

I'll leave that to mets, my points was simply that this scenario doesn't play out too often. I'm not sure what kind of biases/trends are in play here.

Maybe the last time was 1994.  That's the last time I can recall a major storm moving up the OV with a huge arctic high pressing down.   That low moved through Kentucky south and east of the Ohio River, a bit further southeast than what models show the current track.

Have seen some people in various places throwing out the 1978 comparison, but this is quite a bit different as it stands now.  Here is the 500 mb loop from the 1978 blizzard:

jan2427_1978_500_loop.gif

Notice how that PV lobe dropped way south into Iowa and phased with the southern stream wave.  We aren't quite seeing that in this case on most runs though the NAVGEM may have been closest.  If the models become more amplified in the northern stream (and southern stream for that matter) then maybe we can start talking.  

can't find a screenshot.  He'll be on again at 9:30 CST and will certainly show it again. It may have done fairly well with the current system, but I wouldn't count on it to be accurate.

Don't think it was the RPM. Guessing it was the most aggressive model he could find.

The 12z Euro taken verbatim would dump a foot over a wide swath of Southeast Michigan. With surface temps in the low 20s and 850mb temps around -12c, the Euro's insane QPF would also be accompanied by very good snow ratios. It wouldn't be slop, not even close.

Also, nice to see the third rate American models finally come on board. Only a couple days behind the NOGAPS, lol.

My call for DTW: 14.0"

Have seen some people in various places throwing out the 1978 comparison, but this is quite a bit different as it stands now.  Here is the 500 mb loop from the 1978 blizzard:

jan2427_1978_500_loop.gif

Notice how that PV lobe dropped way south into Iowa and phased with the southern stream wave.  We aren't quite seeing that in this case on most runs though the NAVGEM may have been closest.  If the models become more amplified in the northern stream (and southern stream for that matter) then maybe we can start talking.  

If that were to happen, I'd be afraid the low may try cutting to far to the west to be a good hit for us.

This is starting to look like a high to very-high ratio event. 18Z GFS forecast vertical profiles from STL to LAF are showing very deep ice crystal growth layers in the latter half of the event as the system pulls in increasingly cold air and omega remains centered over the DGZ.

Yeah, I noticed we had like a 300 mb DGZ toward the end.

Archived