wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
January 3-6th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And ratios would probably be 15/17/20-1 for most of us.

We are now 54-66 hours out from a potentially historic winter storm.  Pretty wild.

There are still model inconsistencies though at this junction just like the current storm, Euro has locked in on a solution which it did with the current storm and did really well on it. The GFS/NAM had all sorts of solutions with the current event.

And ratios would probably be 15/17/20-1 for most of us.

We are now 54-66 hours out from a potentially historic winter storm.  Pretty wild.

Using 10:1 ratios off the WeenieBell EURO snow maps (subtract some snow from today's storm contamination):

12Z EURO:

YYZ: 10.4"

DTW: 10-11"

FWA: 11.0"

IND: 10.7"

Nice 13.4" lolli around Lima, OH :weenie:

I've mentioned it before but anecdotally it seems like when we get into this foreign vs domestic model battle the foreign ones are usually closer to reality.

Agreed. (Although maybe that has more to do with the fact that there are simply more foreign models than domestic...so its really just the majority forecast that ends up being right)

I know its superiority isn't like it used to be, but what is this...like 4-5 runs in a row for the Euro? I'd be kinda surprised if something in the ballpark of its solution doesn't happen at this point. Plus, this isn't 5-6 days away. But...never say never.

I know its superiority isn't like it used to be, but what is this...like 4-5 runs in a row for the Euro? I'd be kinda surprised if something in the ballpark of its solution doesn't happen at this point. Plus, this isn't 5-6 days away. But...never say never.

Probably more like 7 or 8, hell some of the earlier runs were triple phaser amped, so this has come back down since then. GFS will blink on this, probably soon.

It did the same thing for here a few weeks ago and it ended up being a miss to the NW haha

It did the same thing for here a few weeks ago and it ended up being a miss to the NW haha

I'm not saying it can't track NW. I'm just saying some, if not quite a few of the people in this sub-forum are gonna see some legit snow. And it's gonna be glorious. 

If the NWS forecasted for us, we'd have had 2-3 blizzard warnings over the last 10-15 years. Their criteria isn't that much different but they bend the rules more. Basically if you're going to see widespread 12-16" with some wind they'll hoist one. Sort of a de facto higher tiered snowfall warning to convey to the public it isn't your run of the mill 6"er.

And I might get an extended vacation if the EURO verifies.

You flying out to YEG monday? Really impressive euro run with pretty much an ideal track for us. Defo band really gets cranking once the centre of LP gets near syracuse. Euro has gusts to 65kph+ near YYZ at the height of the storm, with gusts to 80 over the TO islands.

You flying out to YEG monday? Really impressive euro run with pretty much an ideal track for us. Defo band really gets cranking once the centre of LP gets near syracuse. Euro has gusts to 65kph+ near YYZ at the height of the storm, with gusts to 80 over the TO islands.

Those would be some very impressive winds, easy white out conditions + massive drifts.

12Z EURO text was a bit better for us in terms of surface temperatures which would allow for some better ratios, particularly in the latter half of the storm (after a brief 6 hour period above zero at the start of the event).

Yup. Flight supposed to leave at 6:55am on Monday. I think the worst will be over by 12z so I'm hoping for a delay rather than cancellation.

Also, I hate to be a debbie downer...but this is a thread the needle event. Slop storm still on the table.

Archived