joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 3-6th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could, the PV is strong but it further West than the current system, if the southern stream slows just a hair, this could really phase into a strong system.

I can't in reality see it surging very far east, models most likely were being far too aggressive with this. Just seeing the setup it's almost a guaranteed App Runner

I can't in reality see it surging very far east, models most likely were being far too aggressive with this. Just seeing the setup it's almost a guaranteed App Runner

Yeah as the front comes through it will run out of gas running into the ridge that will be forming along the east coast, only so far east the front can go.

I realize that the EC has struggled lately, but let's not lose sight of the fact that it is the only world class model in existence and it has shown this storm for several consecutive runs now. Probably a good time to go back to ignoring the GFS especially given its bias toward suppression.

I have the feeling this storm could develop even stronger than currently depicted on most models and turn into a real monster. It would only take a slightly stronger trough to bring this about. Maybe the 12z runs will capture this potential. Track would be a little west of what's being shown now but like the 1978 storm this would super-rotate and pressures would fall very rapidly along the track. Michigan, Ontario and Ohio are particularly at risk for a very severe blizzard out of this scenario. Energy from the open waters of the Great Lakes in proximity to this astounding thermal gradient might be enough to tip the scales.

I have the feeling this storm could develop even stronger than currently depicted on most models and turn into a real monster. It would only take a slightly stronger trough to bring this about. Maybe the 12z runs will capture this potential. Track would be a little west of what's being shown now but like the 1978 storm this would super-rotate and pressures would fall very rapidly along the track. Michigan, Ontario and Ohio are particularly at risk for a very severe blizzard out of this scenario. Energy from the open waters of the Great Lakes in proximity to this astounding thermal gradient might be enough to tip the scales.

Even crazier will be the cold behind that scenario.

Archived