Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
January 3-6th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

In NAVGEM we trust :whistle:

It didn't too bad with this current storm.  :whistle:

Yeah I know. I figured you get the general back part of the storm to give everyone an idea.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to pick on you. Just saying for those looking for the next storm's possible totals.

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hoping for a slight shift south or else YYZ may be looking at p-type issues and poor ratios (at least with 00Z EURO track). Let's see what the 12Z brings.

00Z EURO text for YYZ:

ECMWF Deterministic FORECAST FOR: YYZ    LAT=  43.67 LON=  -79.63 ELE=   568

00Z JAN02
                 2 M     850     SFC     SFC     700    6 HR     500    1000
                 TMP     TMP     PRS     RHU     RHU     QPF     HGT     500
                 ©     ©    (MB)    (PCT)   (PCT)   (IN)    (DM)     THK

SUN 12Z 05-JAN  -1.0    -7.1    1017      85      98    0.02     547     534    
SUN 18Z 05-JAN   0.7    -6.9    1015      82      92    0.04     545     532    
MON 00Z 06-JAN  -0.4    -6.6    1011      96     100    0.09     541     533    
MON 06Z 06-JAN  -0.6    -5.1     997      96     100    0.41     532     535    
MON 12Z 06-JAN  -5.1    -9.7     999      78      96    0.26     518     518    
MON 18Z 06-JAN  -5.7   -17.1    1005      59      36    0.01     511     507

Hoosier's guy going all in...emphasis on Blizzard Watch. :lol:

Winter Storm/Blizzard Watch is possible by tomorrow.  Snowfall totals are in question.  I conservatively went with 1-4″ yesterday, but it appears a 4-8″ snow may be in the offing.  Right now, looks like +8″ may fall southeast & east of here.

http://blogs.wlfi.com/2014/01/02/blizzard-conditions-then-coldest-temps-since-jan-1999-wind-chills-to-35-by-monday/

In a honesty, this is looking more and more like a blizzard for a good part of the sub-forum.

yep, it's just hard to believe.  It's kinda come out of no where with us focused on the recent storm.

But really by 12z tomorrow watches and maybe warnings will be up all over the sub forum.

This has STL, Indy, Laf, Evansville, Detroit, parts of Ohio special written all over it and even reaching up into Central IL, SE Lot zones as well.

In a honesty, this is looking more and more like a blizzard for a good part of the sub-forum.

Haven't had blizzard warnings in southern Ontario since Feb 2011 and those were all well west of my backyard and Toronto. Not sure when blizzard warnings were last issued in the Greater Toronto Area... can any TO posters chime in on that?

Hoping for a slight shift south or else YYZ may be looking at p-type issues and poor ratios (at least with 00Z EURO track). Let's see what the 12Z brings.

00Z EURO text for YYZ:

ECMWF Deterministic FORECAST FOR: YYZ    LAT=  43.67 LON=  -79.63 ELE=   568

00Z JAN02

2 M     850     SFC     SFC     700    6 HR     500    1000

TMP     TMP     PRS     RHU     RHU     QPF     HGT     500

©     ©    (MB)    (PCT)   (PCT)   (IN)    (DM)     THK

SUN 12Z 05-JAN  -1.0    -7.1    1017      85      98    0.02     547     534    

SUN 18Z 05-JAN   0.7    -6.9    1015      82      92    0.04     545     532    

MON 00Z 06-JAN  -0.4    -6.6    1011      96     100    0.09     541     533    

MON 06Z 06-JAN  -0.6    -5.1     997      96     100    0.41     532     535    

MON 12Z 06-JAN  -5.1    -9.7     999      78      96    0.26     518     518    

MON 18Z 06-JAN  -5.7   -17.1    1005      59      36    0.01     511     507

Thankfully the GEM is much further south. I'll take a composite.

Haven't had blizzard warnings in southern Ontario since Feb 2011 and those were all well west of my backyard and Toronto. Not sure when blizzard warnings were last issued in the Greater Toronto Area... can any TO posters chime in on that?

I believe it was the 1993 superstorm.

http://www.ec.gc.ca/meteo-weather/default.asp?n=D9553AB5-1#blizzard

Well Environment Canada has a certain criteria for Blizzard warnings to be issued. In most cases, they always issue a SW or WSW rather than a BW.  

And SSC, didnt they issue it for the Jan 1999 storm? Based on EC's climate page, the 1993 superstorm was only around 4-8" for us. 

Well Environment Canada has a certain criteria for Blizzard warnings to be issued. In most cases, they always issue a SW or WSW rather than a BW.  

And SSC, didnt they issue it for the Jan 1999 storm? Based on EC's climate page, the 1993 superstorm was only around 4-8" for us. 

No. January 1999 saw a Winter Storm Warning. Blizzard warnings used to have a temperature criteria that was hard to meet in southern Ontario. The did away with that a few years ago so we may see them slightly more frequently.

There is no snowfall threshold for a blizzard warning. If the winds are strong enough and the visibility is low enough, you can have a blizzard.

I don't think snowfall matters for a BW. IIRC, if you have major blowing or drifting snow, it can be a blizzard, even without any new precipitation.

No. January 1999 saw a Winter Storm Warning. Blizzard warnings used to have a temperature criteria that was hard to meet in southern Ontario. The did away with that a few years ago so we may see them slightly more frequently.

There is no snowfall threshold for a blizzard warning. If the winds are strong enough and the visibility is low enough, you can have a blizzard.

Would be interesting to look at how often NWS blizzard warning criteria has been met in the GTA vs. Environment Canada blizzard criteria. Although this is likely way too much work to synthesize. Anyone still on vacation? :P

Would be interesting to look at how often NWS blizzard warning criteria has been met in the GTA vs. Environment Canada blizzard criteria. Although this is likely way too much work to synthesize. Anyone still on vacation? :P

I'm happier with the higher standard. To me, a "blizzard" is the most severe type of storm. I imagine massive white out conditions. Essentially a big rain storm but with snow. I wouldn't even consider the Feb 2013 storm a blizzard. It seemed like a snowstorm to me, but the winds were not crazy and I didn't see any white out conditions like you see in snow squalls.

Essentially, a snow squall to me is a mini blizzard. 

If the NWS forecasted for us, we'd have had 2-3 blizzard warnings over the last 10-15 years. Their criteria isn't that much different but they bend the rules more. Basically if you're going to see widespread 12-16" with some wind they'll hoist one. Sort of a de facto higher tiered snowfall warning to convey to the public it isn't your run of the mill 6"er.

And I might get an extended vacation if the EURO verifies.

Archived