• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
January 2/3 Event - Disco., Nowcasting, and Obs.

wxmeddler

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well as long as that 850 low continues to consistently move through ohio and across PA, the dry hole is likely.  I haven't seen that 850 low move much at all on the GFS or NAM the last several runs.  The 850 is where I need to see some definite improvement to hold out any hope on this.

Well as long as that 850 low continues to consistently move through ohio and across PA, the dry hole is likely. I haven't seen that 850 low move much at all on the GFS or NAM the last several runs. The 850 is where I need to see some definite improvement to hold out any hope on this.

That's not the problem anymore. This isn't a classic miller b. It's a hybrid where there really isn't a primary fooking us. The southern low forms plenty south. The strength and track of that one sucks. Focus on that failure and not the weak overunning to our north. They aren't connected with any significance. We can still fail huge but not at the hands of anything north of us. I blame nc for sticking out so far to the east.

That's not the problem anymore. This isn't a classic miller b. It's a hybrid where there really isn't a primary fooking us. The southern low forms plenty south. The strength and track of that one sucks. Focus on that failure and not the weak overunning to our north. They aren't connected with any significance. We can still fail huge but not at the hands of anything north of us. I blame nc for sticking out so far to the east.

That 850 is acting like a kicker on the southern low if you ask me.  I do believe it's why the dry hole is there in va, and I'll be continuing to watch it.

That 850 is acting like a kicker on the southern low if you ask me.  I do believe it's why the dry hole is there in va, and I'll be continuing to watch it.

Yeah, and the 850-mb center is a lot more diffuse or "baggy" compared to the good 12Z run.  That one had a much tighter looking circulation, in fact there were two centers, and a nice southeast fetch off the ocean feeding into it.

I can't think of any miller A, Miller A hybrids, or Miller Bs in which we did well with a closed 850 over Northeast ohio, but anyway we all know this is a low probability event at this point. 

I think the 850mb low to our NW is ok if it swings through....in this case it goes to our north when it comes through....plus there are a million other things wrong with the storm...we've done ok with 850 lows to our west or NW, but other factors were significantly in our favor...like 2/25/07...even PD2 had an 850 low to our west....I think what Wes said about east based blocking is a big factor here...there is no blocking over Iceland...so the flow is too fast and the storm like a magnet follows the ridge to our northeast...

The euro usually locks in the 3-4 day range....

Unless it's showing dc significant snow

it also caves quite a bit too...But maybe its higher res is keying in on smaller features that the other globals arent picking up yet...

It's rare that it caves on Noreasters in the 3-4 day range. 5-7 days....all the time. I've seen it be very stubborn with all guidance against it and win

But when it shows snow for dc...you throw out all the rules and brace for the worst. You should go to bed now knowing euro gives you 7

I think the 850mb low to our NW is ok if it swings through....in this case it goes to our north when it comes through....plus there are a million other things wrong with the storm...

The intriguing part is the vort track. That part offsets some of the problems with a typical northern low miller b setup. Not saying it's some sort of magic juju to make it all good. But comparing our typical miller b where the vort is further n and closer to overhead isn't apples to apples.

We can easily still get whiffed by both lows but I can't bail with a low popping so far south. This isn't a standard north of Columbus oh to the Delmarva. Much more disconnected and spread out.

Win lose or draw, radar will tease. 12z euro ens were pretty bullish. I don't expect much of a cave tonight. Maybe tomorrow though. If its full blown cave at least I can have fun reading dt's fb page.

It's rare that it caves on Noreasters in the 3-4 day range. 5-7 days....all the time. I've seen it be very stubborn with all guidance against it and win

But when it shows snow for dc...you throw out all the rules and brace for the worst. You should go to bed now knowing euro gives you 7

it doesnt usually swing wildly...it is stubborn....so it is entirely possible it keeps the good solution

Luckily the UKMET is a terrible model and can be ignored.

It was a day ahead of the Euro in showing basically what the Euro shows now. I would not discount it like you are. It is definitely not great with east coast winter storms but it is better than the GGEM which is talked about a lot more.

Archived