• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 2/3 Event - Disco., Nowcasting, and Obs.

wxmeddler

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coastal is talking about sne. It's not better here. Basically the shaft. Secondary mostly skips us. Redevelopment too far east. 

The vort track's not bad and it has a southern track which makes me happy.  Could still get dry slotted but with that vort track and a southern low, I won't lose sleep over the run. 

The vort tracks not bad and it has a southern track which makes me happy.  Could still get dry slotted but with that vort track and a southern low, I won't lose sleep over the run. 

I'm definitely more encouraged today for obvious reasons. Southern track and losing the ohv low is a big big step. But it still comes with its caveats. 

Unfortunately, we can get runs like this at very short leads when everything prior is screaming big snow. Inside of 2 days. I know you know this. Just pointing it out. 

This gives me incredible confidence.

It's a lot easier to lose sleep over the 0z runs anyway since it's closer to sleep time.  No worries. 

People actually think it's going to snow here? 

Somebody correct me if this is wrong. I read a post a while back, I think by wxUSA that said the features driving this weren't in the NAM grid. If so, wouldn't the key pieces be in data poor areas? And, isn't the euro data sampling supposedly superior? Under those conditions isn't the euro more likely to be closer to the more correct solution? Or am I completely out in left field?

The vort track's not bad and it has a southern track which makes me happy.  Could still get dry slotted but with that vort track and a southern low, I won't lose sleep over the run. 

The cold air is there as a result.  If there was precip on the run it would probably be 75% snow.

Somebody correct me if this is wrong. I read a post a while back, I think by wxUSA that said the features driving this weren't in the NAM grid. If so, wouldn't the key pieces be in data poor areas? And, isn't the euro data sampling supposedly superior? Under those conditions isn't the euro more likely to be closer to the more correct solution? Or am I completely out in left field?

Wxmeddler said that. No clue the answers to the rest of your questions.

It's a lot easier to lose sleep over the 0z runs anyway since it's closer to sleep time.  No worries. 

People actually think it's going to snow here? 

I never see the 00Z runs so I don't lose sleep over them.   I may see the Nam today but suspect it will keep it's north solution for awhile.  I'm doing another article tomorrow with you and Dan being editors. 

Saw someone post a snapshot of the 18Z GFS on Facebook talking about convective feedback on hour 78 and circling that large mass off the Atlantic.

I never see the 00Z runs so I don't lose sleep over them.   I may see the Nam today but suspect it will keep it's north solution for awhile.  I'm doing another article tomorrow with you and Dan being editors. 

I may get back on the ledge. I remember back in the day during the times when we actually had storms, you used to be up for the 0Z GFS.

I might have to drop in some "bullseyes to 2' over DC" language. :P 

I wouldnt be too concerned about the 18z GFS...sure a weaker/later forming coastal with a dry slot is a possiblity of giving us a big screw job but at least guidance has went away from the classic Miller B screw job of having a main primary low in Ohio with re-development near Jersey and a New England pummel. Pretty sure 18z GFS tends to have a southeast bias anyways, thing is ECMWF may be classicaly over-amplified as it tends to do, so for now lets blend the 12z GFS and 12z ECMWF, and we're looking good for now.

Could someone explain convective feedback? I see it mentioned all of the time with regard to models but have no idea what it means.

The GFS generates a bogus low pressure due to convective activity. In reality the thunderstorms are smaller than it's grid-scale and most of the time don't end up generating enough latent heat to create an actual synaptic scale low.

12z ens members are a big improvement for DC. 25 members give 2" or more of snow and only 12 show no snow. The rest are light snow. 7 of the 25 are over 6"

The mean is about 3". 

ETA: at least 15 members give us snow with the next storm 2. Not worried about that one though. 

ETA: selfish post....31 members give me 2"+ and the mean is about 4". 

12z ens members are a big improvement for DC. 25 members give 2" or more of snow and only 12 show no snow. The rest are light snow. 7 of the 25 are over 6"

The mean is about 3". 

ETA: at least 15 members give us snow with the next storm 2. Not worried about that one though. 

ETA: selfish post....31 members give me 2"+ and the mean is about 4". 

18z ensembles are much better than OP as well (obviously)...almost 0.50" to DCA

Archived