• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2/3 Event - Disco., Nowcasting, and Obs.

wxmeddler

It's a fine line here for sure. I chose the bad side because I'm conditioned with this setup. Much had to do with the primary going north of course but also the energy ejecting out west simply wasn't digging enough to give me much hope. I saw the ensembles that looked good but remained bearish. I'm still pretty bearish honestly. The broken record statement of subtle changes of strength and placement early on makes large changes down the line. I suppose if runs keep digging that energy and keep the primary from going north of us I'll get more encouraged each run. 

Redevelopers are terrible on the nerves. A forecasters nightmare at our latitude most of the time. Unless we have a strong stable block (ala 2010) but we don't here. Just a well timed/placed 50/50 and good confluence. If this does verify and break the dc streak it will be a fluke in the books for sure. 

Good post,  in this pattern it is real easy for the low  to end up too far north.  We need more than one good run.  

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cannot quite believe what I just saw in the 12Z globals...mostly GFS and Euro!  I'm honestly surprised the Euro "went big", that's a good 4-8" or so event in the immediate metro DC area, and a fair bit more farther north and west.  Incredible.  Such a tricky situation, this is probably the best we could have even imagined.  Always nerve wracking with these types of developments (Miller "B").  Excited to see this but tempered by the fact that it could easily get whisked away in 12 hours or less.  Boxing Day disappointment still looms kind of large.  Let's hope this is more like Feb. 10, 2010, one of the times we can actually score with a Miller B!  I guess the good thing is to see it developing this way now, about 3 days out and getting close to crunch time.

EDIT:  Funny, but when I typed "Miller B" in the parentheses, it made the "B" and the closing ")" into a smiley with glasses! Ha!  Had to put it in quotes to avoid that!!

DT might have to write a "why i was wrong post" like three times this week

Or maybe not if things flip around again...let's not speak too soon here, just sayin'!  ; )

EDIT:  OK, well, maybe he still might have to say that if he's getting suckered into today's 12Z solutions and it doesn't pan out!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, I honestly cannot remember all the details.  Concerning this possible event being possibly a similar "pull the rug out" scenario as the Boxing Day 2010 storm, I believe it was really only the GFS and its ensembles that were gung-ho at the 11th hour for us to share in that event?  I don't recall the Euro being on board with that.  This case has a different flavor (I hope) in that the Euro is also moving to a favorable solution...as are the ensembles for both GFS and Euro.  At least for now.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I honestly cannot remember all the details.  Concerning this possible event being possibly a similar "pull the rug out" scenario as the Boxing Day 2010 storm, I believe it was really only the GFS and its ensembles that were gung-ho at the 11th hour for us to share in that event?  I don't recall the Euro being on board with that.  This case has a different flavor (I hope) in that the Euro is also moving to a favorable solution...as are the ensembles for both GFS and Euro.  At least for now.

the ridge is in much better position for us this time than boxing day

cool..the mean is about 0.4" QPF for DC

hmmm...mean for total precip or snow? 0z mean was somewhere between .8-1.0 for total precip. 

eta: I have a graph and not a map for mean precip. 

eta#2: I found the map and it shows .5 - .6. Not sure why there is such difference. Grain of salt on the graph. I'll just count the members that show accum snow and move on. 

Archived