wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
January Pattern Discussion

NorthArlington101

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An unusually high # of 6z gefs members agree with the op. This one has legs. They may be skinny little get away sticks but I'm liking it for now.

whats up with the european...it has this deep inland storm that no other model has between 96 and 120 hours..of course its warm rain but no other  model has this i think....

Just look at the 500 ht spaghetti charts beyond next weekend. Hard to have much faith in the GFS when there is no clustering of the individual ens members...literally all over the place.

Members actually look ok. Pretty active and enough amplification to provide ops through the whole run. It's going to be a weird period it looks like. Some warm days, some cool days, and some timed opportunities.

Definitely a move towards the euro ens but the euro ens warmed up a bit. All in all it looks like an "ok" period starting mid next week and beyond. If we do get snow it probably won't stay on the ground for more than a couple days after. I don't care about that as much as others. I like tracking and measuring. Give my kids a day or 2 on the hill and I'm good to go.

whats up with the european...it has this deep inland storm that no other model has between 96 and 120 hours..of course its warm rain but no other model has this i think....

Euro is more amped with with a strong vort at the bottom that has nowhere to go except west of us. Canadian has the same thing. GFS is a better setup @ h5 with the stronger ns low setting it up for the trailer. I would say all options are on the table. The only comfort about the chance is that the gfs is showing it over and over...for now.

Euro is more amped with with a strong vort at the bottom that has nowhere to go except west of us. Canadian has the same thing. GFS is a better setup @ h5 with the stronger ns low setting it up for the trailer. I would say all options are on the table. The only comfort about the chance is that the gfs is showing it over and over...for now.

canadien is much more east than the european though...canadien shows a coastal storm. i think the euro is wrong/overamplified

canadien is much more east than the european though...canadien shows a coastal storm. i think the euro is wrong/overamplified

Hard to say but I agree in some ways. It's a fast and amplified flow. We're going to get sprayed with various looks. Timing and placement will make or break. I would think that anything will likely sneak up at shorter leads and we shouldn't get caught up in verbatim details this far out. My guess is the euro loses the big rainer @ 12z. We'll see. 

Just a piece of friendly advice......you're new here.  Establish your presence here with posts other than opinions for a while.  Your post came across in a pretty negative light.  That's probably because nobody "knows" you yet.

I agree with some of what you say.  Long range discussion always has pattern or indices splashed all over it.  I've said basically the same thing you did.  Those are modeled patterns, modeled indices, and modeled means.  Sometimes they do a good job of getting the "picture" right.  Other times, they miss by a long ways.  That's why the pattern can look good on Monday, and terrible on Thursday.  However, these same people that you pointed out that seemingly hug each model run, either op or ensemble, have the skill to be able to recognize legit features and to discard bogus solutions.  I don't have that ability.  So, I come here to read their thoughts.  I think your post, while containing some validity, came across as dismissive of their abilities.  You may not have intended it that way, but, like I said, nobody here "knows" you yet.

Just my 2 cents.

Good post. I am always always kidding around. And yes, it is better to establish your sense of humor over time considering how hard it is for people to understand someone's humor via a forum.

Just my 2 cents.  

Euro bias at holding energy out west! There's our 1961 redux storm! Have that angry new guy who hates you start a thread!

Haha, I 100% do not dislike Bob Chill. It's actually quite the opposite. I enjoy reading his discussion and I've been reading on the forum for about 6 months now.

I should rename myself "AngryGuy"!

Haha, I 100% do not dislike Bob Chill. It's actually quite the opposite. I enjoy reading his discussion and I've been reading on the forum for about 6 months now.

I should rename myself "AngryGuy"!

No worries. My skin is titanium in these parts. And don't worry about the name. We already did it for you. ;)

Ji, euro ensembles definitely have a better look @ h5 for wed-thurs next week compared to the op. There must be plenty of members showing a more east track. 

There's a stupid delay with ind member output from last nights run so I don't have it yet. I'm pretty sure some members are going to show snow. 

ETA:

Member data is up. Not as bullish as I though. About 8-10 show snow and nothing really of consequence. I'll hug the gfs for now. lol

ETA:

Member data is up. Not as bullish as I though. About 8-10 show snow and nothing really of consequence. I'll hug the gfs for now. lol

So, you'll hug the GFS for the medium and the Euro for the long term.  Careful, they get bitter and nasty when they are jealous.

So, you'll hug the GFS for the medium and the Euro for the long term.  Careful, they get bitter and nasty when they are jealous.

I've been trained by the most skilled weenies in the universe. I will hug the snowiest model at all times. Sometimes secretly when it's the canadian and ukmet. I will bash any model that takes away my snow. It's all part of the creed. 

GFS is trying hard to figure out a way to go boom on the 15th. Nice dig on the vort and much less pos tilt compared to 6z. Suface low pops in central va. I'm sliding my ante in on the table right now...

And it boomed. i95 jackpot of wet snow

GFS'd next week. Anxious to see ens and Euro

GFS'd next week. Anxious to see ens and Euro

Pretty nice vort pass and good surface low. If it can dig just 50 miles south and lose some of the influence form the low to the north we'd be in much better shape. Surface remains a disaster. Thicknesses and 850's are good. Heavy rates advertised would put snow on an above freezing ground. verbatim it's i95 - east mostly. Glad to see the gfs keep hanging onto the trailing energy and nice vort pass. 

Euro hasn't been impressed but we're getting kinda close in now so we'll see what happens.

yep. Good luck with this one bro. Its awesome when the entire snowstorm occurs with temps above freezing during the daytime

Dynamics and thundersnow with this setup. Not totally kidding. This is the kind of setup that bombs and pounds. But it's flawed like a mofo so I remain skeptical.

A little more dig and separation from the low to the north and all bets are off. Nothing better to do right now anyways except track the flawed vort with little support from other models. . 

Archived