• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Pattern Discussion

NorthArlington101

I know there's a lot of pessimism on this forum right now, probably because there hasn't been a model run that shows a big snow in the area, however the pattern looks REALLY, REALLY good from now until at least the end of February. There is no warm up in sight, there will be a plethora of chances. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know there's a lot of pessimism on this forum right now, probably because there hasn't been a model run that shows a big snow in the area, however the pattern looks REALLY, REALLY good from now until at least the end of February. There is no warm up in sight, there will be a plethora of chances. 

You've been optimistic since November and I have 4"...If a pattern with no block or 50-50 is REALLY REALLY good...what would one be with a block/50-50....REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY good?

I like my original predictions, though I may be a tad low where you are..what you have so far this season?  11"?  I'd say you are halfway there

I have about 12 inches. I used leesburg04 profile to track my snow. It looks like we actually may hit normal this year. Joe Bastardi said something interesting about normal a few days ago. He said the weather is hardly ever normal and its hard to have a normal day or normal season. Normals are caused by extremes on both sides. So our winter of 09-10 and the crap ever since if we average out over 6-7 years will probably end up as normal lol

I have about 12 inches. I used leesburg04 profile to track my snow. It looks like we actually may hit normal this year. Joe Bastardi said something interesting about normal a few days ago. He said the weather is hardly ever normal and its hard to have a normal day or normal season. Normals are caused by extremes on both sides. So our winter of 09-10 and the crap ever since if we average out over 6-7 years will probably end up as normal lol

True to a degree.. tho I think too many people think of normal as "on the nose" when it's really probably a range of like 5 deg either side.  Plus look at Sept and Oct most of the time around here and tell me there is no normal weather. 

True to a degree.. tho I think too many people think of normal as "on the nose" when it's really probably a range of like 5 deg either side.  Plus look at Sept and Oct most of the time around here and tell me there is no normal weather. 

we probably get more normal weather than any city in the country....and thats because most of the time, we dont have weather. We have the least exciting weather i think of any area in the eastern US

You mean till the end of January....I think? The pattern looks decent, and there will be ops. But really good? As long as we have a +NAO then we dont have a really great pattern. That is a major missing piece for snow-lovers in the MA, especially those that dont live inland at elevation. 

And you really needed JB to explain this to you?

You mean till the end of January....I think? The pattern looks decent, and there will be ops. But really good? As long as we have a +NAO then we dont have a really great pattern. That is a major missing piece for snow-lovers in the MA, especially those that dont live inland at elevation. 

Woops, meant to say up to the end of February, and possibly beyond. That is definitely a concern though, If we could get a split flow with the +PNA we could still cash in on a major event, though of course a block would be key. 

Interesting read from Mount Holly AFD this afternoon:

OUR OLD FRIEND, THE POLAR VORTEX CURRENTLY IN
NORTHWESTERN CANADA IS ABOUT TO TAKE A HIT. AN UPWARD PROPAGATING
ROSSBY WAVE IS PREDICTED TO PERTURB AND ELONGATE IT DURING THE
LONG TERM PERIOD (AND BEYOND). THIS SHOULD ONCE AGAIN SEND PART OF
THE VORTEX INTO NORTHEASTERN CANADA. COUPLED WITH DISTURBANCES
CRESTING THE EASTERN PACIFIC RIDGE, THEY WILL ACT IN TANDEM TO
BRING COLDER AIR INTO THE FORECAST AREA ONCE AGAIN. THE LATEST
ECMWF STRATOSPHERIC MODEL SOLUTION POLAR VORTEX HIT IS SO INTENSE,
THIS IS THE FIRST TIME THIS WINTER THAT STRATOSPHERIC WARMING
(STRONGER AROUND 10MB FOR NOW) IS PREDICTED TO START. WHETHER IT
CAN WORK ITS WAY DOWN INTO THE TROPOSPHERE AND WHERE IT DOES,
WOULD HAVE AN IMPACT ON THE NORTHERN HEMISPHERE`S WEATHER AND
TELECONNECTION PATTERNS INTO FEBRUARY.

They look really sweet. Kinda bullish n-w of 95 for this weekend. Signs of interest in the 22-23rd range too. 

Overall NH height patterns d11-15 on both euro/gfs look really similar and pretty good

personally, I prefer the overall pattern to suck along with the details so I don't get false hopes that  "really sweet" patterns convey

personally, I prefer the overall pattern to suck along with the details so I don't get false hopes that  "really sweet" patterns convey

It's prob the best pattern of the winter with flaws in the atlantic. Any big coastal will be a miller b of some sort. Split flow possible down the line. Every single event will have screwjob potential. Good timing of features embedded in fast flow will make or break. Don't count on a -nao. Odds of seeing snow in the air during the next 2 weeks is high. 

How's that?

It's prob the best pattern of the winter with flaws in the atlantic. Any big coastal will be a miller b of some sort. Split flow possible down the line. Every single event will have screwjob potential. Good timing of features embedded in fast flow will make or break. Don't count on a -nao. Odds of seeing snow in the air during the next 2 weeks is high. 

How's that?

I'll let you know in 2 weeks    :P

Though I KNOW we have some great peeps in here that I trust, here is a bit more from Mike Masco. Just something to chew on until the next model runs:

The new 12z European ensembles (multiple models averaged together to develop one picture--consensus forecast) The storm chances increasing this week is due to a LARGE scale situation that will evolve following the warm we have on Mon and Tue. The details such as totals, track, and intensity are NOT clear since this will be a mid to late week system...something the models barely see.. and most stations will just NOT mention to you yet. Except of course ABC2.

My Observations/thoughts are : (not in laymen terms--but close enough--for the overview that you'll have to see me on the news at 11pm)

A. A storm will develop along the cold boundary separating warm moist Atlantic air to COLD Canadian air settling into the east coast.

B. The European ensembles remain bullish on the trough swinging well south of MD/VA developing a storm to the NE of the vort max..This would be a position off Norfolk, VA. OR is it closer to the coast??

C. The blocking high is positioned over the central Atlantic is STRONG. The key to forecasting is knowing the basics. The basic are.. you cannot drive a storm through a ridge ESP if it's at 588.. So the out to sea solution is just not a thought.. though.. track could be shifted east if the trough goes not go negative.. ( meaning the storm track is positioned ENE and not NNE and up the coast).

See you at 11pm on the news with more..

After reading Mount Holly's AFD today discussing possible upcoming SSW event and its impact on the PV, I went looking at the GFS 10 to 50 mb analysis. Interesting looking at the 10 mb panel on the  GFS, seems to show the "polar vortex hit" they mention in the discussion. Looks like a warming event begins around 120 hrs , then another event around hr 276. Can see the area of warming and the PV looks like its beginning to get displaced/stretched @ 120. Be interesting to see if this warming verifies and is significant enough for its effects to ripple further down into the troposphere and at lower latitudes, and maybe we get a -NAO for February.

post-1005-0-99713200-1389663063_thumb.gi

Archived