1/15 43.1 28.3

1/16 43.1 28.3

1/17 43.2 28.3

1/18 43.2 28.3

1/19 43.2 28.3

1/20 43.3 28.3

1/21 43.4 28.4

1/22 43.4 28.4

We might make a run at another possible sub zero low (except for dca) and sub 20 high (except for dc) before the month is through.

We might make a run at another possible sub zero low (except for dca) and sub 20 high (except for dc) before the month is through.

Big cold is usually most centered on climo. If I had to guess, without looking at anything, I'd assume we won't beat (min wise) the prior outbreak without snow or something.  Though it wouldn't take much for it to be lengthier... 

But, we can get some pretty solid cold through Feb 10 or so probably.  After that it's usually of diminished intensity or duration at least in recent decades.  

Big cold is usually most centered on climo. If I had to guess, without looking at anything, I'd assume we won't beat (min wise) the prior outbreak without snow or something.  Though it wouldn't take much for it to be lengthier... 

But, we can get some pretty solid cold through Feb 10 or so probably.  After that it's usually of diminished intensity or duration at least in recent decades.  

I honestly don't really care much about big cold beyond the novelty. Big arctic cold overhead means dry almost every time. If you want to believe guidance, the next overall cold period has some really good legs for duration even without a block. I'm sure there will be moderation days with lows passing to the north before reinforcing shots. Odds seem to increase for ns vorts getting under us as time goes on. Ridge/trough axis placement gets kinda nice (if you believe guidance). 

I honestly don't really care much about big cold beyond the novelty. Big arctic cold overhead means dry almost every time. If you want to believe guidance, the next overall cold period has some really good legs for duration even without a block. I'm sure there will be moderation days with lows passing to the north before reinforcing shots. Odds seem to increase for ns vorts getting under us as time goes on. Ridge/trough axis placement gets kinda nice (if you believe guidance). 

Yeah, our biggest cold is usually just dry and windy.. and followed by 2" rainstorms. 

okay...so the GFS isnt so dry anymore. Maybe it got tired of me

It's a non-stop vort train riding down the ridge with an underneath track. 6z gefs members showed this as well. Some with ss/gulf interaction. Early signs of a good period coming up. We can phail door to door but give us enough chances and we might accidentally score. 

I looked up the temps for DCA from the today's super ens analogs from the GEFS centered on Jan 24.

5 of the 10 had a day when the max temp was 25 or lower.

7 of the 10 had teens or lower mins,  3 or the 10 had lows in the single digits.  The top analog wa sthe coldest at 18 for a max and 8 for min. 

4 of the 10 had an inch or more of snow at DCA within 3 days of the centered mean (Jan 24)....another 3 had 0.1 to 0.9.   Two  of the storms produced over 4 inches.

I looked up the temps for DCA from the today's super ens analogs from the GEFS centered on Jan 24.

5 of the 10 had a day when the max temp was 25 or lower.

7 of the 10 had teens or lower mins,  3 or the 10 had lows in the single digits.  The top analog wa sthe coldest at 18 for a max and 8 for min. 

4 of the 10 had an inch or more of snow at DCA within 3 days of the centered mean (Jan 24)....another 3 had 0.1 to 0.9.   Two  of the storms produced over 4 inches.

Sounds like a virtual carbon copy from where we just came from. The only thing I see better this time is the ridge/trough axis across the conus being slightly better. Plenty of time for that to deteriorate. 

GEFS says we can't really sleep on any vort embedded in the flow. Some big storms mixed in the members too but not enough to say signal or anything like that. Basically, the active ns flow has some potential. That's about all that can be said. 

Ji, click through ewall ens members and stare @ #8. lol

Surprised theres not more chatter about the weekend storm the Euro is advertising.

there is in the other thread but I guess we should discuss it here...I am very confident I will get nothing from it so I don't really care about it

Euro also looks to be interesting for Jan 20 but can't see QPF. 

Verbatim on the euro, the weekend storm and the tues/wed are nearly identical in some important ways. LP to the north screwing up the surface/mid levels and a low track overhead and inland along the coast. Areas 50-100 miles north and west of the cities would get 2 nice hits. 

Yea, it's like close and far from a viable threat for us. GFS has it too. Could have some legs. Again, h5 looks sweet but other flaws take their toll. 

It's kind of what I expected this winter and what a +PNA/mediocre atlantic will yield

It's kind of what I expected this winter and what a +PNA/mediocre atlantic will yield

GEFS looks pretty good in the lr. Get's rid of the 50/50 block. Atlantic still hostile but the ridge bridge is pretty sweet and it wouldn't be hard to get confluence and a transient 50/50 going in that pattern. The best look so far this winter but still has its challenges. May end up being a fun month overall. 

GEFS looks pretty good in the lr. Get's rid of the 50/50 block. Atlantic still hostile but the ridge bridge is pretty sweet and it wouldn't be hard to get confluence and a transient 50/50 going in that pattern. The best look so far this winter but still has its challenges. May end up being a fun month overall.

May is always a fun month.

Archived