Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2014 pattern discussion

CapturedNature

Media hype.

The polar vortex stuff was beyond amusing...its as if it was brand new and never happened before. I had to tell people "everytime we get a big arctic cold shot, the polar vortex is usually involved, it is not a new phenomenon. The cold in January 2004, 1996, and 1994 were all with the PV"...and they look at me in amazement wondering why they never heard of it previously. :lol:

This.

Honestly, many may disagree with me, but the recent media hype over the polar vortex was worse than any hype JB has put out this year. In fact, he has tweeted and blogged about how the media was spinning the whole polar vortex thing pointing out, just as ORH has above, how severe cold has happened plenty of times before. JB may hype but he knows a heck of a lot more about the weather and how it works than many in the mainstream media.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This.

Honestly, many may disagree with me, but the recent media hype over the polar vortex was worse than any hype JB has put out this year. In fact, he has tweeted and blogged about how the media was spinning the whole polar vortex thing pointing out, just as ORH has above, how severe cold has happened plenty of times before. JB may hype but he knows a heck of a lot more about the weather and how it works than many in the mainstream media.

I don't think JB knows squat about weather and how it works.  I think his problem with the polar vortex media craze (which was both ridiculous and amusing) was based on his hyper conservatism and anti-global warming philosophy).

It will be nice to get back to seasonable temps and below next week. Feeling positive about some chances for snow...Eventually we will cash in on something. I'd take anything to be honest. Something to grace the brown landscape with that beautiful fresh snow.This winter has shown us both sides of the spectrum. It's been interesting and there is more to come. 

I don't think JB knows squat about weather and how it works. I think his problem with the polar vortex media craze (which was both ridiculous and amusing) was based on his hyper conservatism and anti-global warming philosophy).

I disagree. From what I gather from people who he trained, he knows quite a bit. However he has chosen to go down the road of hype and is now completely lost. But guess who is laughing all the way to the bank. He's not dumb.

I caved and chucked a few weenies in the AFD. It only took two shifts after nearly two weeks off to succumb.

Keep chuckin.....

Zones weren't very enthusiastic about mid week.  I hope that happens.  I like HPC's maps with a miller b and 996 Gulf of Maine.  And GFS trending towards Euro, yes?  Typical GFS out to sea bias?

Keep chuckin.....

Zones weren't very enthusiastic about mid week.  I hope that happens.  I like HPC's maps with a miller b and 996 Gulf of Maine.  And GFS trending towards Euro, yes?  Typical GFS out to sea bias?

Well euro also went east. Not sure if one is trending towards another, but as I said....this will keep changing.

We are cherishing our 1" today like the mid-Atlantic crowd does, while you guys are buried deep in the models ;)

I am pretty stunned at the temp gridded data for your area coming up, GFS has -40 at 5H and -25 to -32 at 850 for an extended period, places like MVL are in the -20s+ below zero at times. At one point you are under 484 5h heights, stunning actually

I am pretty stunned at the temp gridded data for your area coming up, GFS has -40 at 5H and -25 to -32 at 850 for an extended period, places like MVL are in the -20s+ below zero at times. At one point you are under 484 5h heights, stunning actually

We gonna have some fun the next 30 days or what! I don't recall such a favorable pattern modeled for deep winter right at the climo bottom.

Ride Scooter. You guys will produce in this pattern.

Yeah it would be rare for them to not get something in this pattern. The analog dates were snowy for them too. But there is a fairly reasonable chance (at least in terms of medium range probs) that SNE gets something on the 22nd and they get skunked....I'm sure the complaining would reach to a fever pitch up there if that happened before things turn for the better.

We gonna have some fun the next 30 days or what! I don't recall such a favorable pattern modeled for deep winter right at the climo bottom.

Looking through some stuff at the Rapid City site, getting near the bottom of 850 records for past mid Jan heading into Feb, very close for places like GYX with a -30 showing up on the GFS gridded data, would tie it. 

Yeah it would be rare for them to not get something in this pattern. The analog dates were snowy for them too. But there is a fairly reasonable chance (at least in terms of medium range probs) that SNE gets something on the 22nd and they get skunked....I'm sure the complaining would reach to a fever pitch up there if that happened before things turn for the better.

I think eventually it has the potential to have a semi-SWFE type look as things retro a bit. But yeah, I think next week may have more of a cstl risk and we'll see the VT peeps head for the granite massif of Mansfield.

Archived